Apple Product Design Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2014

3.9

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Design Engineer Interview

Applied via some reference. Got the phone interview. It was very pleasant but technical. Questions about my research experience in detail. My PhD experience, industry sponsored work, my previous job experience, can i travel, how i came into chemistry after having Physics background.
Waiting for the response.

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Product Design Engineer Interview

I received an enthusiastic reply from Apple about my application, submitted three months earlier. I was asked to provide dates/time available for an interview which I did. After that, I did not hear from Apple. They did not reply to my emails as if the company did not exist.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Apple in April 2010.

I was contacted by a recruiter about the position. The interview process was long and involved 3 visits to the campus as well as couple phone screens. The last step of the interview process involved a " design project" that I had to present to a group of 10 engineers and managers. Quite a few of the people were very unpleasant during the interviews, but a number were nice. The HR folks were very organized and kept the process moving.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of questions about mechanical design, materials (especially glass and aluminum/steel), and mechanics of materials. For the PDE interviews, you need to be VERY well versed on material properties.   Answer Question

Product Design Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Apple.

first had an in person interview, then a design challenge. I was local so they brought me in instead of doing a phone interview. My design was not "satisfactory" so I did not make it to the next round of presentations. make sure you are very familiar with solidworks and have regular access to it before applying for this job.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of material properties and buoyancy questions. I couldn't remember a lot of material properties and that's very important to them.   Answer Question

Product Design Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

I had an initial phone interview with a recruiter, who talked to me for about 10 minutes about my resume and the open position, making sure I was a good fit. After that, he scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager. He told me to be ready for some technical questions.

A few days later I had the call with the hiring manager, and it was mostly focused on explaining my previous experience and how I would fit in with the job requirements. We talked about some technical aspects of the job, but not very in depth. Most of the interview was actually a back-and-forth where I was asking questions about their engineering process, work culture, etc. It was a good discussion and I left it feeling pretty good about my prospects. The manager said he would be talking to a few more candidates and I would here back in about a week. He said the next steps would be to have me do a "design challenge", present it, and then take a trip to Cupertino to do a series of interviews.

However, two weeks went by and I did not hear anything. I contacted the recruiter to ask him about it, and he told me they had decided to hire someone with more experience.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions in the two phone interviews I had.   Answer Question

Product Design Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

HR communication was good.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me about the frequency representation of a square wave. I think it is extremely ridiculous to ask an 8 year experienced person a direct text book question. These kind of questions are reserved for new graduates.   Answer Question

Product Design Engineer Interview

Submitted application through university website. Got three phone interviews for different departments. I was then flown out for day of interviews about three weeks later.. Was scheduled to have 10 that day. Questions ranged from knowledge of the design process, brain teasers based on averages and displacement and basic physics.

Product Design Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Apple.

Phone interview-40 minutes. All the questions are about the details of my resume. The hire manager also asked some basic mechanical questions for example how to design a gear. If you change the speed of the gears will the power transmitted to the next gear change. At first I don't answer some of the questions but the hire manager inspired me a lot.

Product Design Engineer Interview

got referred by current employee, got an email setting up interview extremely fast. Had one 45 minute interview with someone who works in the group I applied for

Product Design Engineer Interview

Was contacted by one of the recruiters and scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview consisted a lot of technical questions.

Interview Questions

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!