Apple Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

3.3

473 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple.

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   View Answers (3)
    I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

CPU Verification Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Apple in August 2014.

Attended the open house at Cupertino during summer. Received a call for Fall internship. The whole process was 4 phone interviews.
    First interview focused on caches, C++, fsm design and comp arch questions. Second interview was mainly on C++ and memory management by OS. Third interview was about scripting in Perl followed by C++ questions. Fourth interview dealt with verification questions and cache coherence protocols.

Electrical Engineer - Special Projects Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Apple in July 2014.

One phone interview, one short in person interview, and one long in person interview. The long interview had the most technical questions. The interviews were interesting b/c they were looking for a power electronics/controls engineer yet none of the interviewers seemed to have that experience. A few questions related to large volume manufacturing. Everyone seemed really happy and dedicated to what they are doing. Apple provided no response/feedback after the last interview.

Interview Questions
    • The difficulty level of all questions was moderate. One interviewer asked me how to fade an led. The question was so easy (just use PWM) I psyched myself out and tried to answer it with an inductor instead. I just couldn't believe it was that easy.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Apple in July 2014.

The phone interview wasn't exactly technical, I just spoke to the hiring manager and then was invited to an on-site interview. The on-site was a full day of about 5-6 technical interviews, with a few behavioral questions here and there. The technical questions related directly to the team's work
     and were not the typical general CS questions. I will not share the exact questions (integrity and all that...)

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were stuck on a problem? How would you formulate the question to your co-workers?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Apple.

Applied online and a recruiter emailed back shortly afterwards to schedule a phone interview with the hiring manager. Smooth process and asked general questions. They send a project for you to work on if you are able to advance to the next step.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly background questions related to resume and skills needed for position   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Apple in August 2014.

Applied through an employee referral. Got an email from a recruiter 2 days later asking to set up a phone screening interview. The screening process was about 30 minutes long, and the conversation was very comfortable. The recruiter was professional, friendly, and very down to earth. Most of the questions were behavioral/situational. About a week later, I received an email notifying me that they had already chosen a pool of candidates to go forward with. Guess I was a little too late!

Interview Questions
    • What are the different personalities you have worked with? Which kind was the most difficult for you to work with?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

I was contacted by a recruiter who discussed the requirements of the team. The project was top secret so they could not disclose what I would be working on.

I had two rounds of phone interviews which involved discussions on concepts in machine learning and natural language processing. I was then invited for a series of on site interview which lasted 3.5 hours. These were similar to the phone interview but were more detailed and probing.

Overall, I found the engineers to be of top quality and extremely devoted to the success of the project. I was also impressed by the hiring experience. The entire process took less than two weeks and I was continually updated (by email) of my status even late one Friday evening.

I got a better offer elsewhere.

Apple Retail - Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

When interviewing for the expert role you have to go through a rigorous panel interview with 5 different managers; a store leader, one is the market leader, a lead Genius, and 2 other managers. You will have to pass a verbal technical panel that is 30 minutes long with the lead genius. Once you get though all 5 they thank you and have you on your way home. It took 10 days before I found out I got the job. This is all after already being employed with apple for 6 months. The interviews into apple is a much harder process. Multiple group interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about Xsan- which I thought was odd as it was not something we discussed much on the retail floor.   Answer Question
    I went in with my salary requirements before I even interviewed.

Apple Retail Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Apple in August 2014.

I applied online and got an internal referral and within a few days I was invited to an Apple hiring event. When i got to the event apple employees greeted me and asked me to fill out a form asking about my availability and location preferences. I and the rest of the applicants (about 30 other applicants) waited for about 15 minutes before entering one of the rooms. They assigned us a table. They then welcomed us gave a few short presentations about the different retail roles. They asked us to introduce ourselves along with one interesting fact about ourselves. We then were asked a couple of group questions such as, a customer walks in and is interested in buying an iphone, how would you approach them? During these initial questions applicants were allowed to respond in no particular order. it felt like a conversation, except, well since it is an interview, applicants would often talk a lot to show their experience. After that, there was some role playing. you were given different scenarios and you had to take the customer role and then apple employee. Then they asked us another round of group questions and that was it.

Interview Questions
    • The final question went something like, Why do you believe you'd be a great apple team member?   Answer Question

Global Supply Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Apple in November 2010.

Posted resume through career center provided through our University. Got selected for a phone interview that last around 30 min with the hiring director. Flown to Apple campus. Was interviewed by 3 people individually. Received a call back from HR within a few days to a week later, and an offering letter after providing interests verbally. I think one should avoid asking any question relating to any rumors about any Apple products. Apple is very secretive, and they have every right and need to be secretive.

Interview Questions
    • During your last performance review, what was your weakest attribute/skill. Nothing unexpected. Expects typical valuation/pricing/negotiation questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!