Apple

3.3

488 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter who had come across my resume on Monster or some other site that I had it on. The position was for the manufacturing group for mobile devices. It wasn't my typical area of expertise as I'm more design focused, but I have an extensive background in manufacturing and machining, so It seemed like a good time to make a change. I had a quick phone call with the recruiter and was asked the standard questions regarding why I was looking for a job, was I willing to relocate, etc. After this brief (10 minute) phone interview, I received an email and scheduled another brief phone interview with another recruiter, then again with a hiring manager.

The conversation with the hiring manager was very technically focused on manufacturing processes, plastics, metals, composites, tooling, machine tools, inspection, surface finishing, treatments, etc. This was about 30 minutes and the manager was a pleasure to talk to. He had a great sense of humor and the conversation although technical, was enjoyable and relaxed.

Following this I received an email and was invited for an on site interview. The Apple travel site takes care of your airfare, hotel, and rental car and is very efficient.

The on site interview was about 5 hours, meeting with someone every 30 minutes. The bulk of the interviews consisted of a bunch of Apple products and pieces being placed in front of me and discussions on how they were produced, tooling to manipulate them, ensuring accuracy, how surface finishes were produced, why things were done a certain way, how I would do them, and so on.

Everyone I met with was light hearted and seemed to have a sense of humor. All incredibly bright individuals and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. All in all it was pretty intense, but if you know your stuff there shouldn't be anything unexpected. I was pleased that they didn't give me any brain teasers or abstract stuff like that. It was all straight to the point and was a good test of my manufacturing knowledge.

My advice to anyone in any interview situation is that if you don't know something, admit it. Don't try and BS your way through, especially in a group like I was in, as they will see through it. If you don't know something, just say so. My plastics experience is limited, so when technical questions about plastics and over molding came into the equation, I was up front and told them I knew about the process and could describe it to them, but had no hands on experience in it.

Also, make sure you can back up every single thing you put on your resume. If you have a lot of fluff in there it's going to come out in the interview process.

Lastly, don't show up empty handed. Bring examples of your work and show them how diverse your skill set is and why they should hire you. It's also a great for you to be able to talk intelligently about all the things you've done and explain your thought process behind them. This is what a lot of people you interview with are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • This was a very 'hands on' interview. No BS questions, but know every manufacturing process you can, regardless how abstract. Same goes for surface finishing, treatments, and manufacturing automation. Also Apple does things very differently, cost is second to quality, So where other manufacturers are stamping sheet metal and molding things out of cheap pot metal, Apple is CNC'ing components, has incredibly tight tolerances, and is highly automated.   View Answers (3)
    I initially received an offer from the recruiter verbally outlining my base salary, sign on bonus, relocation package, stock options, etc. They called me a few days later notifying me that the official offer was in the mail via FedEx next day air, and they had increased the base salary and sign on bonus that he had initially given me. It wasn't a massive increase in pay compared to what I was currently making, but it was enough to get me to accept, and was what I expected the job to pay. Certain things seem pretty set from a corporate standpoint (vacation days, stock vesting period, etc.) so I'm not sure how much negotiation room there actually is. Either way, I was happy with the offer they made me, and I accepted.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

I uploaded my documents to the Apple website, but did not hear back from them for several months. Once I heard back from them, they set up a phone interview sometime within the next couple of days. The phone interview was about an hour long and they asked personal (nothing illegal, haha), behavioral, and technical questions. The technical questions were not too difficult and I did not answer all of them correctly.

A few days later, they asked me to come in for an on-site interview, to which I agreed. I set up the flights, hotel, etc., with their input. I arrived the day before the interview. There are up to two days of interviews. Whether or not you get the interview on the second day depends upon how the first day went, they let you know that within a few hours after leaving.

The first day of interviews was with people whose team you would be joining. They mostly ask technical questions pertaining to knowledge you would need to do the job. They also ask you quite a few questions about anything technical on your resume that they may be interested in. For example, I had done a bit of C several years ago and one of the guys asked me some questions in C, which kind of threw me off since it had been so long since I had done any.

The second day of interviews was with people who are higher up in the food chain. They were still engineers, but engineering managers. There were still quite a few technical questions on this day, but they asked quite a few non-technical questions as well.

They offered me the position a few days after the interviews were over. They asked me how much I wanted to get paid, I gave them a number that was low (I was unaware of that at the time), and they counter-offered with something that was 20% higher.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked some questions about C that one would not know the answer to unless if they had done it more recently than myself (several years ago for me). That kind of threw me off and I did not need to know C for the position. The guy said the only reason he asked me was because he studied computer science in university (two decades or so ago).   Answer Question

Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I had a phone interview with an engineer which went quite well. Later had a phone interview with the manager. However, no response since then. I sent few reminder emails. However no response

Interview Questions
    • what would do if you were the manager for a different type of scenarios   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

I had a very positive experience interviewing for Apple. It was a long process, but worth the wait. The interviews were on the casual side, with most of the folks looking to learn about your personality, how you think and how you work. Culture fit is among the top requirements! Towards the end of my interview process, I was given a homework assignment by the hiring manager. It required a lot of thought and time to complete, but I appreciated being given a "real" work problem, something that could potentially be included in the scope of the position. It was much better than being given some irrelevant, philosophical question that is just meant to fluster you.

Interview Questions
    • The infamous "What is your biggest weakness?"
      Why do you want to work for Apple?

Answer Question

Systems Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

Recruited from career conference. Three months from conference meeting to follow up discussion with recruiter. Once position identified, then three weeks to set up actual interview in Cupertino. Eleven back to back interviews in a one day period. Most were 30 minute time slots. Well coordinated by recruiter. Everyone on time except the director, who was 15 minutes late.

Interview Questions
    • No questions unexpected. Most typical 'why do you want to work at Apple,' 'What do you know about tablets,' 'What is your China experience,' 'How would you deal with program resource changes,' 'How will you operate in a matrix environment.'   Answer Question

GIS Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple in November 2014.

Applied through a temp agency, then nothing. Found out on a Friday that the interview was for the following Tuesday, which was a bit of a shock. On the day of the interview, everything was organised and the interviewers were friendly. Mainly asked about my experiences, past projects, and what I could do.

Interview Questions
    • Not very hard, more memory problem: To list out the tools and steps on a project I did two years ago.   Answer Question

Bluetooth/Wifi RF Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in November 2014.

Stood up on the first phone interview,this got rescheduled a couple times. Got through phone interview and got scheduled for onsite. Booking the itinerary was very convenient, very smooth process. Onsite I was told 12 interviews,30 mins each and also 1 hour lunch interview. Was given a bottle of water in the beginning. The interviews were all technical, were overall OK. Couple interviewers were not friendly and imo rude, they wanted answers really quick and did not want to give time to think. This was the most stressful experience I have ever had in any interview. Only 2 people asked if I needed a restroom break..later in the day i was super thirsty and was told to get water fr the tap in their kitchen area..take your own bottle if you can! Lunch was not really a break, it was constant interview questions. The junior members were really nice to talk to and asked more relevant real world questions,problem solving type but the senior folks were stuck in the books and asked fundamentals in depth. The hiring manager was more arrogant and was obvious from the beginning that he would give me a hard time..still not sure why!

Interview Questions
    • lnas, filter, Pa, ip3, noise figure, smith chart, test setups etc   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple in November 2014.

The posting was for a skilled Objective-C engineer with experience developing SDKs and frameworks.

Had a few phone interviews with the in-house recruiter and the hiring manager, these went well. I was scheduled to have a follow-up phone interview with one of the lead engineers, however an emergency conflict came up and he needed to reschedule. I was coincidentally scheduled to travel to Apple for an on-side interview with another group in a few days so we coopted the trip, splitting the interviews with the two groups over two days. This interview review is related to the first day/group only. I'll post a separate review for the second day/group later.

The engineers, the manager, and the recruiter were all very friendly, easy to converse with. The knowledge-based programming questions were difficult but manageable -- several pertained to nonatomic/atomic properties, retain cycles, some bitwise operations, and delegates vs. blocks vs. notifications. The coding questions primarily related to data structures and optimization, with a little UI coding towards the end.

By the end of the day I was exhausted and more than a little demoralized. I should've performed better. I had a few shining moments, but these were overshadowed by some glaring gaps in my memory on some of the early basics of data structures and algorithms. I left them with the impression that I was really more of a framework *consumer* than a competent framework *author*, and that I wasn't really ready for the challenges that this posting entails.

Nevertheless, the engineers and the manager were stellar. They were friendly, not dismissive, and helpful particularly when I was flailing. I would've been honored to work with all of them.

Interview Questions
    • Given a histogram data representation, how would you find the adjacent bars/columns that collectively yield a rectangle with the largest coverage area.   Answer Question
    • Given a string of words and a maxWidth, write a method that inserts new lines where appropriate to perform a word-wrap. (Wrap on word boundaries, assume " " is fine). Now, how does your implementation handle string with multiple spaces between words ... Are those extra spaces lost or preserved?   Answer Question
    • "What is the one question you wish I would've asked? What question are you sure to nail if I ask it right now?"   Answer Question

Customer Care Agent (At Home) Escalation Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Apple.

Employees of Apple are passionate about premium products and services. The interview was 45 minutes and very focused on Apple's consumer. Most questions emphasized the quality of service Apple customers expect, problem solving skills, active listening, and most importantly, empathy. I have a talent for calming an angry customer, so I was comfortable with the process.

Interview Questions
    • "How do you handle the rare customer who stays unsatisfied?'   View Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Apple.

First had a phone screen with HR with simple questions about resume, why Apple, etc. Then had two 1-hour interviews on site. These interviews were completely technical meant to test EE fundamentals (ohms law, op-amp circuits, RC filters, etc). Next had a full-day onsite interview where I met with 8 people for about 45 min each. These questions were also EE fundamentals with a little more depth. Overall not a very difficult interview if you know your EE basics. Not nearly as difficult as IC-level design interviews. After this interview, I met with the manager of the team and he asked me a combination of technical and behavioral questions. Finally was made an offer after all of this. The offer was decent, but lower than offers in other locations once you factor in cost of living.

Interview Questions

Not enough money for Bay Area. They pay more than most companies out here, but still not enough to be worth the cost of living.