Apple Interview Questions in Santa Clara, CA

Updated Mar 23, 2015

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

First I applied to one of the apple jobs and I got an email from recruiter to set an interview. I made a mistake and set that for tomorrow of that day (lack of experience).

Interview Questions

• an introduce yourself and then directly started to as BS questions mostly about Strength of Material.   1 Answer

Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Interview

I had a phone interview with an engineer which went quite well. Later had a phone interview with the manager. However, no response since then. I sent few reminder emails. However no response

Interview Questions

• what would do if you were the manager for a different type of scenarios   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

The posting was for a skilled Objective-C engineer with experience developing SDKs and frameworks.

Had a few phone interviews with the in-house recruiter and the hiring manager, these went well. I was scheduled to have a follow-up phone interview with one of the lead engineers, however an emergency conflict came up and he needed to reschedule. I was coincidentally scheduled to travel to Apple for an on-side interview with another group in a few days so we coopted the trip, splitting the interviews with the two groups over two days. This interview review is related to the first day/group only. I'll post a separate review for the second day/group later.

The engineers, the manager, and the recruiter were all very friendly, easy to converse with. The knowledge-based programming questions were difficult but manageable -- several pertained to nonatomic/atomic properties, retain cycles, some bitwise operations, and delegates vs. blocks vs. notifications. The coding questions primarily related to data structures and optimization, with a little UI coding towards the end.

By the end of the day I was exhausted and more than a little demoralized. I should've performed better. I had a few shining moments, but these were overshadowed by some glaring gaps in my memory on some of the early basics of data structures and algorithms. I left them with the impression that I was really more of a framework *consumer* than a competent framework *author*, and that I wasn't really ready for the challenges that this posting entails.

Nevertheless, the engineers and the manager were stellar. They were friendly, not dismissive, and helpful particularly when I was flailing. I would've been honored to work with all of them.

Interview Questions

• Given a histogram data representation, how would you find the adjacent bars/columns that collectively yield a rectangle with the largest coverage area.   Answer Question
    • Given a string of words and a maxWidth, write a method that inserts new lines where appropriate to perform a word-wrap. (Wrap on word boundaries, assume " " is fine). Now, how does your implementation handle string with multiple spaces between words ... Are those extra spaces lost or preserved?   Answer Question
    • "What is the one question you wish I would've asked? What question are you sure to nail if I ask it right now?"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Agreed to meet on-site in Santa Clara. Stood outside, apparently interviewer was waiting at a different door. He offered water. After going into the interview room had a whiteboard coding session. It involved creating a Java function to find the smallest number in an array. They emphasized communication with the interviewer who I would be working with. They were flexible and helpful during this point. After there were questions about Big O notation and Machine Learning. After the interview, in the parking lot, he started asking me about previous jobs I held.

Interview Questions

• Open-ended Machine Learning question involving comparing data. There was a strong impression that they were fishing for a specific answer, or expecting something without providing much context.   Answer Question

Apple Retail Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got an internal referral and within a few days I was invited to an Apple hiring event. When i got to the event apple employees greeted me and asked me to fill out a form asking about my availability and location preferences. I and the rest of the applicants (about 30 other applicants) waited for about 15 minutes before entering one of the rooms. They assigned us a table. They then welcomed us gave a few short presentations about the different retail roles. They asked us to introduce ourselves along with one interesting fact about ourselves. We then were asked a couple of group questions such as, a customer walks in and is interested in buying an iphone, how would you approach them? During these initial questions applicants were allowed to respond in no particular order. it felt like a conversation, except, well since it is an interview, applicants would often talk a lot to show their experience. After that, there was some role playing. you were given different scenarios and you had to take the customer role and then apple employee. Then they asked us another round of group questions and that was it.

Interview Questions

• The final question went something like, Why do you believe you'd be a great apple team member?   Answer Question

RF Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Phone interview, asked something based on resume, questions about noise, phase noise concept and improvement, modulation, QAM, EVM concept. Personal experience of system design and test experience.

Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Interview

Two phone interviews of 30 minutes, and four in-person interviews of 45 minutes each
    Me: 13 years experience in the area of specialization of the position with multiple vendors, graduate degree from US school
    They: Of the four interviewers, only one ever attended a US college and university based on their LinkedIn profiles. I was told that I'll have to work with engineers based offshore. This was in the IT department at Apple.

Interview Questions

• A problem similar to rate/time/distance GMAT problem asked by another software architect. I did not expect this as I mostly prepared brain teasers and Java questions. I did not get this correct, but did provide some good mathematical explanation. I've solved similar problem and as with GMAT problems if you don't organize them, you'll never get it right.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Questions are fair. Most of them is job interests and a few technical questions. Due to email account problem and my old phone number on the resume, i didn't know the result of this interview.

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

1. Technical phone screen by the hiring manager
    2. A programming assignment based on C and objective C
    3. Third round is onsite interview

Interview Questions

• Asked programming questions about linked lists, parity bit comparison.
      Questions about the data communication on iPhone devices

Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

Gave apple my resume during a career fair at campus career fair. Got an email asking to schedule for an interview bout a week later. The phone interview lasted for bout half an hour, interviewer were nice and generally asked stuff on my resume. i thought it went well, still waiting on the offer he said would come bout 2-3 weeks later

Interview Questions

• If a cap is added at the base of a BJT(common emitter), how does it change the function of the BJT.   2 Answers