Apple Interview Questions in Santa Clara, CA

Updated Aug 9, 2015

3.2

Transport Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I went via an internal referral. A recruiter contacted me and we scheduled a date and time. The process was very smooth. On my interview day I had six technical interviews. Five of them went very well, all in cryptography and network security. One was average, with the interviewer grilling me on C internals and went on to dive deeper into man-in-the-middle attacks and Secure Shell. Obviously he was expecting me to say what he wanted to hear and I did not get what he wanted to know. Because the next interviewer came in, he had to leave. On the whole I was expecting to get to the next round but it looked like they decided to move on with someone else.

Interview Questions

• Explain man-in-the-middle attacks   1 Answer

Design Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I got phone interview and onsite interview in Cupertino, CA. The whole process tooks a long time but that was because of me.The phone interview is just asking questions about my resume, generation of fibonarzzi number and a IQ question. The onsite interview is stressful and a lot things about verification like generating random data.... The questions are hard. Something I've never heard about. But there are also some basic questions like FSM and FIFO.

Interview Questions

• Given read and write freq, how to calculate FIFO depth?   Answer Question

RF Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

First phone interview. Lasted for 30 minutes. Mainly focused on resume. Tested skills. Creative questions on systems design. Error Vector Magnitude, Carrier leakage and other concepts were tested. Interviewer also explained concepts and expected me to answer based on his hints. Actually tested if i was able to think and solve. Overall was not very difficult.

Interview Questions

• Circuit inside a VNA, P1dB   1 Answer

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

First I applied to one of the apple jobs and I got an email from recruiter to set an interview. I made a mistake and set that for tomorrow of that day (lack of experience).

Interview Questions

• an introduce yourself and then directly started to as BS questions mostly about Strength of Material.   1 Answer

Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Interview

I had a phone interview with an engineer which went quite well. Later had a phone interview with the manager. However, no response since then. I sent few reminder emails. However no response

Interview Questions

• what would do if you were the manager for a different type of scenarios   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

The posting was for a skilled Objective-C engineer with experience developing SDKs and frameworks. Had a few phone interviews with the in-house recruiter and the hiring manager, these went well. I was scheduled to have a follow-up phone interview with one of the lead engineers, however an emergency conflict came up and he needed to reschedule. I was coincidentally scheduled to travel to Apple for an on-side interview with another group in a few days so we coopted the trip, splitting the interviews with the two groups over two days. This interview review is related to the first day/group only. I'll post a separate review for the second day/group later. The engineers, the manager, and the recruiter were all very friendly, easy to converse with. The knowledge-based programming questions were difficult but manageable -- several pertained to nonatomic/atomic properties, retain cycles, some bitwise operations, and delegates vs. blocks vs. notifications. The coding questions primarily related to data structures and optimization, with a little UI coding towards the end. By the end of the day I was exhausted and more than a little demoralized. I should've performed better. I had a few shining moments, but these were overshadowed by some glaring gaps in my memory on some of the early basics of data structures and algorithms. I left them with the impression that I was really more of a framework *consumer* than a competent framework *author*, and that I wasn't really ready for the challenges that this posting entails. Nevertheless, the engineers and the manager were stellar. They were friendly, not dismissive, and helpful particularly when I was flailing. I would've been honored to work with all of them.

Interview Questions

• Given a histogram data representation, how would you find the adjacent bars/columns that collectively yield a rectangle with the largest coverage area.   1 Answer
    • Given a string of words and a maxWidth, write a method that inserts new lines where appropriate to perform a word-wrap. (Wrap on word boundaries, assume " " is fine). Now, how does your implementation handle string with multiple spaces between words ... Are those extra spaces lost or preserved?   2 Answers
    • "What is the one question you wish I would've asked? What question are you sure to nail if I ask it right now?"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Agreed to meet on-site in Santa Clara. Stood outside, apparently interviewer was waiting at a different door. He offered water. After going into the interview room had a whiteboard coding session. It involved creating a Java function to find the smallest number in an array. They emphasized communication with the interviewer who I would be working with. They were flexible and helpful during this point. After there were questions about Big O notation and Machine Learning. After the interview, in the parking lot, he started asking me about previous jobs I held.

Interview Questions

• Open-ended Machine Learning question involving comparing data. There was a strong impression that they were fishing for a specific answer, or expecting something without providing much context.   Answer Question

Apple Retail Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got an internal referral and within a few days I was invited to an Apple hiring event. When i got to the event apple employees greeted me and asked me to fill out a form asking about my availability and location preferences. I and the rest of the applicants (about 30 other applicants) waited for about 15 minutes before entering one of the rooms. They assigned us a table. They then welcomed us gave a few short presentations about the different retail roles. They asked us to introduce ourselves along with one interesting fact about ourselves. We then were asked a couple of group questions such as, a customer walks in and is interested in buying an iphone, how would you approach them? During these initial questions applicants were allowed to respond in no particular order. it felt like a conversation, except, well since it is an interview, applicants would often talk a lot to show their experience. After that, there was some role playing. you were given different scenarios and you had to take the customer role and then apple employee. Then they asked us another round of group questions and that was it.

Interview Questions

• The final question went something like, Why do you believe you'd be a great apple team member?   Answer Question

RF Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Phone interview, asked something based on resume, questions about noise, phase noise concept and improvement, modulation, QAM, EVM concept. Personal experience of system design and test experience.

Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Interview

Two phone interviews of 30 minutes, and four in-person interviews of 45 minutes each Me: 13 years experience in the area of specialization of the position with multiple vendors, graduate degree from US school They: Of the four interviewers, only one ever attended a US college and university based on their LinkedIn profiles. I was told that I'll have to work with engineers based offshore. This was in the IT department at Apple.

Interview Questions

• A problem similar to rate/time/distance GMAT problem asked by another software architect. I did not expect this as I mostly prepared brain teasers and Java questions. I did not get this correct, but did provide some good mathematical explanation. I've solved similar problem and as with GMAT problems if you don't organize them, you'll never get it right.   Answer Question