Apple Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

3.4

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

One phone and One Face to Face interview. Went in details of binary search algorithms and Core Java fundamentals such as internals of HashMap, String intern etc. The interview was 3 hour long and included 3 panelists who interviewed for one hour each.

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

I was contacted by a recruiter who discussed the requirements of the team. The project was top secret so they could not disclose what I would be working on.

I had two rounds of phone interviews which involved discussions on concepts in machine learning and natural language processing. I was then invited for a series of on site interview which lasted 3.5 hours. These were similar to the phone interview but were more detailed and probing.

Overall, I found the engineers to be of top quality and extremely devoted to the success of the project. I was also impressed by the hiring experience. The entire process took less than two weeks and I was continually updated (by email) of my status even late one Friday evening.

I got a better offer elsewhere.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Apple.

Got call from recruiter to setup interview. Recruiter called me from employee referral.

Went onsite for all day interview. People were friendly. Asked programming questions about in-place sorting, NSViewController and then a find out what is wrong in about ten functions that you hope you'd never see in production code.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

Nice experience. Asked questions on C++ and from resume. Asked to write program after two phone interviews. Which i have done after one week, got feedback saying they had couple of people with better coding skills and proceeding with them.
    Interviewers and recruiters are nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Apple in May 2013.

How I got the interview:
    1- throw linkedin I got a message from a recruiter that there is a job conference in my area if I want to join
    2- I went there and they were conducting simple interviews (2 interviews per candidate)
    3- I wasn't well prepared but I passed the first short interview and I did horribly in the second.
    4- Week after they contacted me to schedule a phone interview and they called me 30 minutes before interview time but I was driving so it was cancelled.
    5- I got another call after two days for a full day onsite interview after two weeks.
    6- Nine interviews with two different teams each one will last 45 minutes including an interview during launch time with HR lady(I don't remember her position title)
    7- After the forth interview. the recruiter who contacted me came before launch and told me that i'm doing very well and the first team wanted to hire me as soon as possible.
    8- I finished all the interviews and left then he contacted me 30 minutes later saying that he will be sending the offer to me by today.
    9- Unfortunately, I had visa issues(No H1B) and they decided that they can't sponsor an H1b for me because they want to hire someone as soon as possible. they cancelled the offer.

Interview Questions
    • The question will be about the following topics:
      1- Software Design and patterns
      2- Clustering techniques and solution (software point of view)
      3- Clustered Caching and concurrency issues
      4- System integration problems and technologies.
      5- extensive transaction processing systems and its performance
      6- SQL coding (inner select - ranking - partition by )
      7- Advanced Java basics (concurrency - I/O - Collections & hashmaps - algorithms)
      8- No-SQL DB concepts
      9- Concepts about (EJB, Web Services(Restful & SOAP) - JMS)
      10- I got two puzzles that requires (algorithms- mathematics formulas - recursive functions)
      11- Questions about your previous projects (technical point of questions)
        Answer Question

I don't have H1B and they didn't want to sponsor any, I got the offer but it was cancelled

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Apple in October 2013.

Recruiter emailed me and asked me if I was interested in talking to the core os team. Once I said yes, she setup a phone screen with the hiring manager. The phone screen was mostly a behavioral type of interview. Questions like, what do you want to do after 5 years, why do you want to work for apple etc. After that phone screen, they went cold turkey on me and I had to probe them to check if they are still interested. Two days later(after sending an email asking for status), they setup a on-site interview. Initially it was supposed to be a 3 hr interview, but later cut short to 2 hrs. I thought the interview went well because mostly they asked me about my previous projects and patents and there wasn't really any hard technical question.
                 After the on-site interview, there was no response, and upon probing them further, I was told that they went ahead with another candidate without really giving me feedback as to what exactly they didn't like about me(not very uncommon I guess).
                The people (recruiter, hiring manager and the team) were very nice and polite, but they were very slow in communicating. It's quite possible that they were overloaded. However, it was very frustrating to deal with them because of that. It was also not clear what exactly were they expecting from the candidate since they didn't seem articulate it well. It's really confusing when the interviewers agree to every answer you give them saying, that's a good point, but still you don't make the cut. I agree that they are not required to provide detailed feedback, but still some pointers would have really helped me prepare better for the next time(if there is one). Now, I have no clue what I need to correct if I were to interview again in apple next time.
                My negative feedback has to do with this aspect more than any

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between designing a product for enterprise market compared to consumer product.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Had an on-site interview. HORRIBLE experience. They told me the schedule will be from 9:30am - 2:45pm. So, I took the whole day off work.

But after the 3rd interviewer, I was asked to leave. I was doing pretty well in the interviews in my opinion. They asked me to leave right at 12pm. So, no lunch. And I already took the whole day off work. Apple is VERY rude, at least this team was.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Multi-step process, took two months from initial contact throgh three technical interviews. I was at the end turned down after the executive-level interview. The interviewers were mostly very smart, asking very good questions. The interviews were 30 minutes long, so I got totalk to a lot of people. Overall, an enjoyable experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Apple.

1) Recruiter screen - non technical
    2) 1 hour programming exercise
    3) On site interview

The on-site interview was scheduled from 9:30am - 1:45pm. All of the interviewers had pretty technical and challenging questions. I felt that I answered them pretty well. Yet, they followed it up with "how can you make your solution better (i.e. more efficient, scalable, and robust)?" Overall, I was able to improve on my original solution. But for some reason, they didn't want to complete the interview process with me that day. They literally walked me right out of the facilities at noon. No lunch too! The schedule and agenda was to 1:45pm. I even took the day off work for this!

The interviewers were all pretty nice to me, so I have no idea why... However, there was this one interviewer who was rather rude in my opinion. He was an Indian guy, and he was even 30 minutes late! I had to sit and wait for him in their dining area for 30 minutes before this guy showed up. I guess he got into work late. But then again, he shouldn't be getting into work at 11:00am! To top it all off, while I was answering his questions, he was working on his laptop... texting on his phone... and receiving phone calls. You would think he would show some professionalism after being late...

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you know your data structures and algorithms.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple.

- got contacted by a recruiter via email for a chat regarding an open position
    - 1st phone screen: high level, not really technical (what techno do you use, etc)
    - 2nd phone screen: high level, not really technical
    - onsite: wow... 9 interviews (45 minutes each), high level and technical. Exhausting!
    - coding test to do remotely, pretty challenging one to make sure you have strong technical skills.

Amazing experience! Loved it. Everyone you meet there is WAY smarter than you.

Interview Questions
    • Best peace of advice: Be prepared to answer questions about apple features, bad or good things, stuff that you would change or improve for iOS, OS X, etc. Most of the time you won't know exactly what the team is working on in advance, so you'll get the info (a vague info) when you'll be onsite. Which means that you have to relate to their work right away and should know everything about Apple. From the OS, commercial apps, hardware and online stuff. It could be Apple TV, iOS, iTunes, garage band, etc.. Show that you know the subject at least a minimum so that you won't be another candidate XYZ. Be prepared to tell them why you would be a great add-on to the team. Always make sure they get your point and that it's relevant enough so that they can remember you during the brainstorm session. Come up with the best project you've worked in the past, something you'd be proud to talk about, make it sounds as sexy as possible. Learn everything about it!! Don't be superficial. Show that you know everything and that you covered the full area. The problems you were facing and how you solved them (technical, people, organization, etc). If you don't have any interesting stuff to tell then you either won't be contacted by a recruiter in a first place, or you'll simply fall into the bottom of their list. On top of that, be prepared for some very specific technical questions. Stuff that most other big companies would do such as: algorithm, language specific questions, architecture, design, etc. If you're position is for a front end engineer, you better know where the user click goes beyond the pixels. Same if you're a back end engineer, you have to know how to build a great user experience. These kind of questions will be asked randomly throughout the day just to make sure that you were a Software Engineer before becoming a Senior Software Engineer. In other words, making sure that you get the job done.   Answer Question

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!