Apple

Getting the Interview

18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cupertino, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Apple in September 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted resume online, was contacted by a recruiter.

One phone screen with a manager, one technical screen with a programmer. First was mainly about my resume, second was typical C++ questions (whats a virtual function, tell me when you would use a template).

Onsite interview was really more of the same. I feel like I aced the interview, expect the last interview was with a manager who really didn't seem to like me! It was a very odd and uncomfortable interview.

For personal reasons, I could not take the job anyway, but actually never got a formal "decline" from them, nor an offer. All very odd.

Aside from the last interview, seemed like a good place to work.

Cupertino, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple in April 2010.

Interview Details – Apple interviewer just asked me my background and then some technology questions about JAVA. The first question is "What is differences between Interface and Abstract Class?" The second questions is "What is differences between List and Set?" The Third question is "What is Singleton design pattern?"

Interview Questions

• The first question is "What is differences between Interface and Abstract Class?"   Answer Question
  • The second questions is "What is differences between List and Set?"   View Answer
  • The Third question is "What is Singleton design pattern?"   View Answer

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Apple in August 2009.

Interview Details – I got a phone interview from cupertino, CA.
Brief explanation for current job requirement, and have a coding test over the phone interview.
Coding Question was not much difficult.
such as define macro usage and using the macro define, implement the function using define macros.

Interview was going well, but unfortunately i haven't get pass the exam.

Interview Question – Define a macro for byte offset of a given field in a structure.   View Answers (2)

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Apple in April 2009.

Interview Details – First interview consisted of a phone conversation with a recruiter who was very positive and high energy. It was a typical recruiter filtering process - see if I had the skills and was able to carry on a conversation about my background with confidence.

Second round was a phone interview with the hiring manager. It was pretty easy, we went over my background, and then a little about the job requirements. I honestly said the job and my interests weren't a match. A classic "I could do the job - but do I want to do job" situation. We closed out the interview nicely, and went our separate ways.

Overall I would say the people I dealt with were very professional and focused. If the position had matched what I was looking for I would have been very positive about pursuing things further. Overall, seemed to be an organization that had its act together.

Very Difficult Interview

Cupertino, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple in October 2007.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an engineer based on my technical blog. I had a phone interview, then was flown out for a full interview. It was a pretty intense interview (have been through an MS interview, too). Lots of people, very focused on skills and knowledge, really rapid fire. I got everything from database design to CSS questions. Lunch with the hiring manager. Smart folks.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Seemed like everyone kind of hated their job, but loved that they worked for Apple. The location was also a big negative.

Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Apple in December 2007.

Interview Details – First, this interview took place at the end of 2001, but the popup didn't let me specify that correctly.

I had interviewed with Apple for several other positions before this one. Apple actually did keep my resume on file, and they called me for two of the openings that I didn't get before landing this job.

First, Apple's recruiters are excellent. They were easy to get on the phone, they were highly responsive, they knew their department's needs, and they knew enough about their department's business to be able to speak about prospects for promotion and career development in their group. At Apple, recruiters specialize in particular areas of the business.

After a phone interview with the hiring manager, I came in for face to face interviews with all of my prospective peers on my team, my boss's VP, one of my boss's peers in the same department, and the senior director of an engineering group with whose members I would frequently need to collaborate.

In each interview, the person I spoke with was able to decide that I was technically qualified very early on, so we mostly spoke about how to deal with various situations that might occur with customers or colleagues, and how I would go about handling them. The process was mostly about deciding whether our personalities would mesh.

I would advise anyone applying at Apple to be completely forthright, and never bluff. If you don't know an answer, say so and describe how you might go about finding it out.

After I joined the company, I had occasion to interview candidates for jobs both within and outside my group from time to time, and everyone I saw was already well qualified technically. Again, Apple's recruiters are top notch, and the only applicants I ever interviewed were highly qualified. It wasn't a matter of finding someone who could do the job, it was always a matter of choosing the best of several good candidates.

Interview Question – I was given a few examples of technical problems having to do with porting existing code to Mac OS X, and asked to describe how I would go about implementing them on OS X. It wasn't really difficult per se, but I am an expert in my field.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was quite happy with the offer, which was about 10% above the figure I'd had in mind going in. So, they named a figure, I accepted, and that was that.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Apple in November 2012.

Interview Details – A smart experienced (because he had detailed technical knowledge) recruiter dropped me a line through linkedin. After a few HR screenings. I was scheduled for a couple of 30-min skype phone interviews. I was asked very good questions. It was obvious that they knew what they were talking about. No trick questions at all. The questions were directly related to what I claimed to know in my resume.

After a week, I was scheduled for an onsite interview (7 45-min sessions). Interestingly each interviewer belonged to a specific area (developer, architect, QA, Security, designer, etc.). The lunch was also an informal interview with a very nice and smart guy.

Again, the interview questions were very reasonable. They were not looking for pure geeky stuffs, but they wanted to make sure I was familiar with the basics of software engineering. There was a huge emphasis on production support and stability in all sessions from different viewpoints.

Before the onsite interview I had some doubts to leave my current good job and relocate to Cupertino. But after that I loved the env and really wanted to work there! By the way, Apple was so generous to cover the travel expenses (sort of better than my other business trips!)

Long story short, they did not contact me for about 2 weeks, until I learned that the hiring manager collected the team feedback and sort of liked me. But not for the software engineer position, he somehow found me overqualified and recommended for a project lead role.

So I am back to the step one! No offer, no rejection. I may have to fly there again... We'll see what happens. Like I said I am very happy with my current position. But working at Apple is a dream! I had seen and heard that Apple changes the world. But in the headquarter, I could feel it vividly. A balanced mixed of different skills to deliver cool solutions.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between http put and post?   Answer Question
  • Why should we hire you?
    How can we improve the performance of a system?
    What's the difference between http put and post?
    Traverse a binary tree.
    sort a hashmap
    simulate a synchronized block in a multi thread env (lock, release, etc.)
    any noSQL experience?
    Why Spring DI?
      Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Apple in March 2012.

Interview Details – Both recruiter and hiring manager were polite, professional and efficient. Scheduling took just a few communications by email. The phone interview with the hiring manager lasted just 30 minutes. We talked briefly about the position and the team and about my background. The rest of the conversation centered around technical questions regarding Objective C language and design patterns. Their decision to pass on my candidacy came after just one day so there was little waiting time.

Interview Questions

• Describe three methods of notification in Objective C and where they should be used.   View Answer
  • Describe memory management in Objective C.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Apple