Apple

Updated Dec 1, 2014

3.3

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Multi-step process, took two months from initial contact throgh three technical interviews. I was at the end turned down after the executive-level interview. The interviewers were mostly very smart, asking very good questions. The interviews were 30 minutes long, so I got totalk to a lot of people. Overall, an enjoyable experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Apple.

1) Recruiter screen - non technical
    2) 1 hour programming exercise
    3) On site interview

The on-site interview was scheduled from 9:30am - 1:45pm. All of the interviewers had pretty technical and challenging questions. I felt that I answered them pretty well. Yet, they followed it up with "how can you make your solution better (i.e. more efficient, scalable, and robust)?" Overall, I was able to improve on my original solution. But for some reason, they didn't want to complete the interview process with me that day. They literally walked me right out of the facilities at noon. No lunch too! The schedule and agenda was to 1:45pm. I even took the day off work for this!

The interviewers were all pretty nice to me, so I have no idea why... However, there was this one interviewer who was rather rude in my opinion. He was an Indian guy, and he was even 30 minutes late! I had to sit and wait for him in their dining area for 30 minutes before this guy showed up. I guess he got into work late. But then again, he shouldn't be getting into work at 11:00am! To top it all off, while I was answering his questions, he was working on his laptop... texting on his phone... and receiving phone calls. You would think he would show some professionalism after being late...

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you know your data structures and algorithms.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apple.

- got contacted by a recruiter via email for a chat regarding an open position
    - 1st phone screen: high level, not really technical (what techno do you use, etc)
    - 2nd phone screen: high level, not really technical
    - onsite: wow... 9 interviews (45 minutes each), high level and technical. Exhausting!
    - coding test to do remotely, pretty challenging one to make sure you have strong technical skills.

Amazing experience! Loved it. Everyone you meet there is WAY smarter than you.

Interview Questions
    • Best peace of advice: Be prepared to answer questions about apple features, bad or good things, stuff that you would change or improve for iOS, OS X, etc. Most of the time you won't know exactly what the team is working on in advance, so you'll get the info (a vague info) when you'll be onsite. Which means that you have to relate to their work right away and should know everything about Apple. From the OS, commercial apps, hardware and online stuff. It could be Apple TV, iOS, iTunes, garage band, etc.. Show that you know the subject at least a minimum so that you won't be another candidate XYZ. Be prepared to tell them why you would be a great add-on to the team. Always make sure they get your point and that it's relevant enough so that they can remember you during the brainstorm session. Come up with the best project you've worked in the past, something you'd be proud to talk about, make it sounds as sexy as possible. Learn everything about it!! Don't be superficial. Show that you know everything and that you covered the full area. The problems you were facing and how you solved them (technical, people, organization, etc). If you don't have any interesting stuff to tell then you either won't be contacted by a recruiter in a first place, or you'll simply fall into the bottom of their list. On top of that, be prepared for some very specific technical questions. Stuff that most other big companies would do such as: algorithm, language specific questions, architecture, design, etc. If you're position is for a front end engineer, you better know where the user click goes beyond the pixels. Same if you're a back end engineer, you have to know how to build a great user experience. These kind of questions will be asked randomly throughout the day just to make sure that you were a Software Engineer before becoming a Senior Software Engineer. In other words, making sure that you get the job done.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple in February 2012.

After 30mins phone screen I was invited for an in person interview at Apple Cupertino location.
    For in-person interview, I spoke to 3 technical engineers, 1 manager and a director one at a time.

Director was nice and asked few cultural and behavioral questions and overall he seemed happy

Manager was little rude, aggressive (pretending to have SJ attitude) and without evening knowing any details about my background and skills blatantly told me that this is not a 9-5 job and I need to work extra hours because they work as a Startup. Infact this gave me a idea that this guy is a paniker and don't enjoy solving problems.

Two of the three engineers I spoke to were B grade guys, in fact after interviewing at so many big companies I realize that there are so many of these guys who would never hire a A grade candiate in fear of loosing there jobs.

I have to a conclusion after interviewing at Big Enterprises ( don't want to name them) that its better to have a group technical round rather a single 1:1 round.

One of the question was why Spring framework and why DI ?
    They also asked couple of brain teaser from KhanAcademy (LOL)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Apple in February 2012.

Campus interview:
    behavior questions
    They asked about Networked File System. Not too much technical questions

Interview Questions
    • I would say behavior performance. It seems the interview is purely subjective. You need to make the interviewer happy   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple in December 2011.

I was contacted by the staffing agents. The hire manager did about 45 minutes phone screen. Then a guy called me, without scheduling and we talked about 1 hour. A few day later, I was invited to onsite interview. It lasted from 10:00 -5:00.

Interview Questions
    • Write java code to find out if it exists that the sum of three integers is zero among a sequence integers.   View Answer
    • Print out, from small to big, of a sequence intergers, without sorting.   View Answers (4)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple in September 2010.

Submitted resume online, was contacted by a recruiter.

One phone screen with a manager, one technical screen with a programmer. First was mainly about my resume, second was typical C++ questions (whats a virtual function, tell me when you would use a template).

Onsite interview was really more of the same. I feel like I aced the interview, expect the last interview was with a manager who really didn't seem to like me! It was a very odd and uncomfortable interview.

For personal reasons, I could not take the job anyway, but actually never got a formal "decline" from them, nor an offer. All very odd.

Aside from the last interview, seemed like a good place to work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apple in April 2010.

Apple interviewer just asked me my background and then some technology questions about JAVA. The first question is "What is differences between Interface and Abstract Class?" The second questions is "What is differences between List and Set?" The Third question is "What is Singleton design pattern?"

Interview Questions
    • The first question is "What is differences between Interface and Abstract Class?"   Answer Question
    • The second questions is "What is differences between List and Set?"   View Answer
    • The Third question is "What is Singleton design pattern?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in September 2009.

The interview started with a phone conversation with the hiring manager and included questions about general computer science concepts as well more language and API-specific topics (e.g. objc and cocoa). A few days after that, another phone interview was scheduled which covered similar subjects as the first.

Then, I went though a full day of tag-team interviews (about 7 interviews with 2 interviewers each) where I was asked to draw things up and code on a whiteboard and explain my answers. Half way down these interviews, I got to go to lunch with the team where I didn't get much time to eat. In general this was not such a pleasant experience since most interviewers took a clear attitude of judgement. However, once I got hired, some folks become easier to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • In a stream of integers from 1 to n, only one number will be repeated. How can you tell what that number is?   View Answers (8)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple in August 2009.

I got a phone interview from cupertino, CA.
    Brief explanation for current job requirement, and have a coding test over the phone interview.
    Coding Question was not much difficult.
    such as define macro usage and using the macro define, implement the function using define macros.

Interview was going well, but unfortunately i haven't get pass the exam.

Interview Questions
    • Define a macro for byte offset of a given field in a structure.   View Answers (3)