Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 11, 2015
Updated Mar 11, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I interviewed with the Seattle's new icloud team. Had a couple of phone interviews that were fairly standard, and was invited onsite to their temporary office. The first onsite interview was with the hiring manager. He was smug and had strong opinions about how variables should be named, the flow of the code etc. It almost looked like he made up his no-hire decision within a couple of mins of the interview and was spending the last hr trying to convince himself why his decision was right. Whatever questions I had was replied with "I can't disclose that information". I don't understand what the point of asking me If I had any questions was, if you're not going to answer anything. The other interviewers and the recruiters I dealt with were pleasant. Disappointing end since I really like apple, but i'd have hated working for that manager anyways.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Around 2 months after I submitted my resume for Apple software engineer position, I got a call from the hiring manager. He asked me what was the good day for the interview. It took half day for meeting 5 people. It was long hour interview for me. Each interviewer spent ~ 30 minutes and asked ~ 4 questions. Each interviewer asked questions in the different areas.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I had two interview sessions in the morning -- I am not a morning person.

One question pertained to tree traversal so it was basic CS. Not difficult but if you haven't memorized the routine you have to work it out on the fly. A decent question.

Another question pertained to keeping a table of custom table view cells fully updated with images. Again not difficult as I've done this.

Before arriving I was asked to write an app similar to what they produce, which was not difficult and took 6 hours. I'll be putting that a variant thereof in the App Store.

Very little phone screening was required before the interview was set up, which was irksome as it suggests a "culture fit" is what they're really trying to assess. I'm a dude but if they don't hire me, I hope they'll hire a female programmer to add some diversity.

Areas for improvement for Apple:
    1. Don't assume everyone is a morning person :)
    2. Do a couple technical interviews over the phone beforehand like Google does.

Interview Questions

• Given an iTunes type of app that pulls down lots of images that get stale over time, what strategy would you use to flush disused images over time?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Apple.

Interview

The coordinator contacted me and set up a time via email after asking when I was available. The interviewer called right on time, and first asked about my interests and what I wanted to do. Then he explained about himself and what his role on the hiring team was. After that it was one or two technical questions, and wrap up.

Interview Questions

• Is there a difference between performSelector and performSelector:withDelay of 0?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple.

Interview

I applied the internship during the career fair in our university and got an on-campus interview on the next day. The interviewer is really nice. We started with some basic programming problems. I was asked to write code on the board. Then we discussed something about GPU and deep learning since the interviewer works for Siri Team. But I don't have much knowledge about GPU, so I failed here. Anyway, I still feel really happy to get this opportunity, which is actually the first career interview in my life.

Interview Questions

• Iterator, bit manipulation, something related to my projects   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Apple.

Interview

I received and email from the recruiter asking me for my availability dates for a phone interview, once i gave them the dates, an interview was set up approximately a week after i received the email. The interview went on for approximately 60 minutes. It was included both technical questions and a coding problem. It was a very good experience and the interviewer was very patient and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Questions were all technical in nature, and mostly concentrated on the Operating System Concepts.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Still awaitng their call for the next step in the process.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

Interview through campus career fair. First interview is mainly to gauge knowledge and learn about the various projects you've done. Be prepared to answer some fairly basic computer science questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

Step 1: phone screen, non-technical for most part
    Step 2: coding problem to work on
    Step 3: Full day onsite of white boarding. This is highly technical. I was asked a mixture use; software/ algorithm questions, a puzzle, and design question.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected:

Puzzle question. If you have 2 eggs, and you want to figure out what's the highest floor from which you can drop the egg without breaking it, how would you do it? What's the optimal solution?

10 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in January 2015.

Interview

I applied in the website and they called me when a suitable position opened up. This took me around 1 month. I had experience working with apple technologies in past which made me eligible for the post.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple (Ithaca, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

The recruiter first asked 1 java question and 2 bit manipulation question. After I answer them, he let me to ask him question. according to my previous project experience, I told him what I preferred to do. But he told me that apple has few position for my preference.