Apple

Getting the Interview

85 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple in February 2014.

Interview Details – A friend of mine referred me for a position and was immediately contacted by the recruiter for the team to schedule a phone screen with the hiring manager. This was mostly a technical interview for an hour. I was then invited for a full day on onsite interviews from 11 am to 5.30 pm. The onsite interviewers were all good to talk to and smart obviously. There is a lot of coding on a laptop with the screen projected and also a lot of white board coding and system design. The questions were not extremely tough but makes you think in terms of DS and Algorithms. The lunch turned out to be a very technical interview in itself but now the entire team is shooting questions at you. Overall, it was a good learning experience. My brain was too tired by the end of the day at 5 pm and I got a puzzle question which I was unable to solve which might be why I did not get the offer because most of the other interviews were fine but there may be other factors as well.

Interview Question – The technical questions were all what you would expect in software engineer interview. Nothing unexpected in particular.   Answer Question

Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in February 2014.

Interview Details – Apple recruiter contacted me on LinkedLn. After initial introductory round, there was on technical phone screen.

After 4 days, their recruiter called me for onsite interview in Cupertino.

There were 5 interviews, 3 (2-1), and 2(1-1) interview. After first 4 fully technical interviews, last interview was with the director of engineering, which was mix of technical and behavioral.

Interviews was not very tough, they asked average question, even though I think I did fairly well in technical interview, I believe I wasn't well prepared for it, specially behavior interview . Questions were related to Design patterns, data structures, algorithms (BST related multiple problems, queues, linked lists etc). There were follow up question, how would you improve time/space compexity

Interview Question – how would you design evernote app, find circular loop in linked list, and other simple questions   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Cupertino, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple in November 2013.

Interview Details – Met Apple recruiter through college fair. I've been applying online for ages without hearing anything back, so I guess Apple recruiters prefer candidates they've met in person.

I had two phone screens next month. The first one was technical and pretty easy. The second was behavioral. I actually was really surprised, I had expected Apple's screening process to be a lot more difficult. I was asked to interview on-site next month.

The on-site interview was way more challenging than the phone screens. I was still in college, so I knew a lot of things, but none in depth. The questions asked were directly related to the team's work, unlike most other companies -- where NCG's are usually asked questions based on what they've learned in school. I guess Apple's teams look for people they specifically need for a position even for college grads.

I was able to hold my own for most of the first technical interview, but I started losing confidence and getting very nervous. By the third interview, I was a mess. It took me 5 minutes to actually understand what the interviewer was asking of me. The last two interviewers asked me about my experience and projects I had undertaken in college and at my internships. They were pretty impressed, but I knew it was too late by then. Sure enough, I was escorted out right after.

I guess I was caught off guard by how much more difficult the on-site interview was than the phone interviews, and by how specific the questions were to the team.

Interview Question – Create a synchronization primitive for the operating system/kernel from scratch. I created a spinlock with test-and-set. Next, create a primitive that doesn't waste CPU cycles. (Essentially, how would you create a mutex inside the kernel?)   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in February 2014.

Interview Details – I dropped my resume and talked with a engineer in Apple at my university Career Fair. I was contacted after one week and got a phono interview with a manager in Siri Team.

Interview Question – The accent of the interviewer was very hard to understand.
Given an array with N - 2 elements (two missing) from 1 to N, find the two missing elements in linear time and constant memory usage.
  Answer Question

Cupertino, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Apple in February 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process begins with 30 min recruiter and next 30 min hiring manager. Next process is technical phone interview followed by onsite interview whole day.

Interview Question – Core design concepts.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – The discriminate against you for your visa status. I would say worst company to interview for.

Interview Question – Do you have the work visa ?   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – I was contacted via linkedin, after I responded I talked to an HR person about what kind of position I would be interested in (10 minutes), then a week later a technical interview with with a hiring manager (30 minutes). That started off with a couple basic technical questions (how is a map implemented) then went into brain teaser/logic problems.

Interview Question – Ants are at the corners of an equilateral triangle labelled 1, 2, and 3, each ant starts moving towards the next one (1 towards 2, 2 towards 3, 3 towards 1) at the same constant speed. How long until they meet ?   View Answers (6)

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – Got a phone call from the recruiter and then followed by 2 phone interviews. They flew my in to cupertino for onsite interview, which was pretty professional and smooth. Interviewers were super friendly and helpful.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult.   Answer Question

Cupertino, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – Had to write many hours of code just for the phone interview! Went to onsite and spoke with about 5-6 guys, mostly managers. The questions required lengthy whiteboard coding. To be fair, I did not get the answer to one of these in a timely manner, and this is likely why I did not receive an offer. I did formulate an answer waiting for my plane later, and forwarded it to the mgr.

The general feel I got was that I was not a possibly valued asset, but a new cog for their machine. There was a pervasive lack of respect in the most of the interviewers' demeanor. I think it's an Apple culture thing, based on other posts I've read on Glassdoor. As soon as I left the building, I knew I could not work here. On the upside, it indicates extreme confidence in the company's ability to attract talent if they can speak to applicants this way.

Interview Question – Writing 8-9 hours of code from the phone interview assignment was a bit much. It probably took longer because I wanted to polish it. But it was not a simple problem by any means. I worked all night to have it ready. The onsite interviewers didn't seem particularly impressed with these efforts, and it gave me insight into how I'd be treated full time.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Apple

Interview Details – Applied for the job on apple.com. Got contacted by a recruiter and proceeded to two rounds of phone screening. Both of the interviewers are from the team that's hiring.

Interview Question – How to speed up a database query?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Apple

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 85 interview reviews posted anonymously by Apple employees and interview candidates.