Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

91 interviews

3.3

91 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Apple in October 2010.

Fast response from HR in the beginning. Quick turnaround for interview scheduling. The interviewer called me 1 hour late but very nice once the interview began. Questions were tough and I was expected to be just as good as the employees that have already been working there for several years. After the interview, though, I never heard back from HR at all. Their hiring department only cares about people they want to hire, and even then are haphazard at best.

Interview Questions
  • If your browser crashes, how would you debug it only using the command line?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Apple.

Full day of interviews, split into 5 one-hour-long sessions, plus lunch. Each session is with one or two engineers who ask very technical questions about programming, modeling, and other software engineering requirements. Lunch is with the hiring manager and some or all of the team.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple in November 2013.

Met Apple recruiter through college fair. I've been applying online for ages without hearing anything back, so I guess Apple recruiters prefer candidates they've met in person.

I had two phone screens next month. The first one was technical and pretty easy. The second was behavioral. I actually was really surprised, I had expected Apple's screening process to be a lot more difficult. I was asked to interview on-site next month.

The on-site interview was way more challenging than the phone screens. I was still in college, so I knew a lot of things, but none in depth. The questions asked were directly related to the team's work, unlike most other companies -- where NCG's are usually asked questions based on what they've learned in school. I guess Apple's teams look for people they specifically need for a position even for college grads.

I was able to hold my own for most of the first technical interview, but I started losing confidence and getting very nervous. By the third interview, I was a mess. It took me 5 minutes to actually understand what the interviewer was asking of me. The last two interviewers asked me about my experience and projects I had undertaken in college and at my internships. They were pretty impressed, but I knew it was too late by then. Sure enough, I was escorted out right after.

I guess I was caught off guard by how much more difficult the on-site interview was than the phone interviews, and by how specific the questions were to the team.

Interview Questions
    • Create a synchronization primitive for the operating system/kernel from scratch. I created a spinlock with test-and-set. Next, create a primitive that doesn't waste CPU cycles. (Essentially, how would you create a mutex inside the kernel?)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple in February 2014.

Flew in for an interview after being contacted by a recruiter. Flown in. The selection process for flights and hotels is great, it's kinda like they are running their own kayak. Regular silicon valley interview other than that.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here? (Really thing that stuff through)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Apple in July 2014.

The phone interview wasn't exactly technical, I just spoke to the hiring manager and then was invited to an on-site interview. The on-site was a full day of about 5-6 technical interviews, with a few behavioral questions here and there. The technical questions related directly to the team's work
     and were not the typical general CS questions. I will not share the exact questions (integrity and all that...)

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were stuck on a problem? How would you formulate the question to your co-workers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Apple.

Had to write many hours of code just for the phone interview! Went to onsite and spoke with about 5-6 guys, mostly managers. The questions required lengthy whiteboard coding. To be fair, I did not get the answer to one of these in a timely manner, and this is likely why I did not receive an offer. I did formulate an answer waiting for my plane later, and forwarded it to the mgr.

The general feel I got was that I was not a possibly valued asset, but a new cog for their machine. There was a pervasive lack of respect in the most of the interviewers' demeanor. I think it's an Apple culture thing, based on other posts I've read on Glassdoor. As soon as I left the building, I knew I could not work here. On the upside, it indicates extreme confidence in the company's ability to attract talent if they can speak to applicants this way.

Interview Questions
    • Writing 8-9 hours of code from the phone interview assignment was a bit much. It probably took longer because I wanted to polish it. But it was not a simple problem by any means. I worked all night to have it ready. The onsite interviewers didn't seem particularly impressed with these efforts, and it gave me insight into how I'd be treated full time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

I was contacted via linkedin, after I responded I talked to an HR person about what kind of position I would be interested in (10 minutes), then a week later a technical interview with with a hiring manager (30 minutes). That started off with a couple basic technical questions (how is a map implemented) then went into brain teaser/logic problems.

Interview Questions
    • Ants are at the corners of an equilateral triangle labelled 1, 2, and 3, each ant starts moving towards the next one (1 towards 2, 2 towards 3, 3 towards 1) at the same constant speed. How long until they meet ?   View Answers (6)

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Apple in February 2013.

Interview process begins with 30 min recruiter and next 30 min hiring manager. Next process is technical phone interview followed by onsite interview whole day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter asking if I'd be interested in a specific engineering position. After a technical phone interview with the hiring manager, I was invited on-site for a full day of interviews.

A trip coordinator at Apple sent me a link to their booking intranet that allowed me to book my flights, hotel, and rental car. This was great because it allowed me to tweak the travel exactly how I liked it.

On the day of the interview, the recruiter met with me to give me an overview of the process and explain the benefits.

The on-site interviews consisted of six back-to-back technical interviews that involved whiteboard coding exercises ranging from traversing binary search trees to software architecture and everything in between.

The interviewers were all very bright and courteous. They asked great questions and when I got stuck, they gave me small bits of information that helped me get to the final solution. Though there were a couple questions that I really struggled with, I was able to arrive at a solution for every problem.

Lunch was with my future manager and in the Apple cafeteria---paid for by Apple. The cafeteria is really impressive. They have several ethnicities represented with food served just as beautifully as their products. The lunch interview consisted mainly of resume clarifications, general behavioral questions, and a chance for me to ask the questions that I had.

After the final interview, I said goodbye to the recruiter and the hiring manager and left for home.

I was contacted the next day by the recruiter letting me know that the interview feedback was very positive and that they'd like to send me an offer. Once the details were ironed out, I accepted immediately.

Here are some pointers to potential interviewees:

1. Make sure you know basic algorithms and data structures. You should be familiar with hash tables, linked lists, binary search trees, etc. You should also know how to search and traverse each data structure.

2. You should know Apple. Show your love and enthusiasm for the brand.

3. Don't spout off about things that you aren't fully knowledgeable about. You'll get asked clarifying questions and will look like a fool if you were just talking to look good. Make sure you can back any opinions you give with factual evidence.

4. Rehearse the typical behavioral questions. You should be prepared to answer things like "why do you want to work for Apple?" or "Have you ever had an experience where x happened?".

5. Your attitude should be one of humility and eagerness to learn. You'll quickly realize that you're not the smartest person in the room. Be polite and humble.

Interview Questions
    • Implement an iterator for a binary search tree that will iterate the nodes by value in ascending order.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Apple in October 2012.

Contacted for phone interview and got scheduled within the next two days. Two people were phone interviewing me and asked mostly programming exercises. No algorithm, conceptual, or problem solving questions were asked. Questions like write a function for the given function prototypes.

Interview Questions
    • The unexpected question was about reversing a singly linked list with the given prototype. But I was the one to be blamed as I wasn't well prepared.   View Answers (6)

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!