Apple

Updated Jan 18, 2015

3.3

113 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Apple.

Was scheduled for an initial technical interview for a new grad position after talking with an engineer at a fall on campus career fair. I only had about half an hour to prepare and was a little flustered so it didn't go great. It was a pretty standard 30 minute technical interview, though.

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Apple in October 2014.

Recruiter call followed by one technical phone screen followed by on site interview

On site interview consisted of 2 2:1 interviews. My first interview was with the director of engineering which did not go well. Even though the second interview went well, this was the deciding factor.

Interview Questions
    • Given busy slots as a data-set in a person's outlook calendar (eg: {(1000, 1200), (1415, 1530),...}) and the time required for a meeting (eg: 45 mins) write a method to find an open available slot for scheduling a meeting.   View Answer
    • Given a deck of cards, write a method to determine if it is "flush".   View Answers (2)
    • Multi-threading and data related questions were quite simple and straightforward   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Apple in October 2014.

It started from a short HR talk, then go through an interview mainly focus on my background and past project. It takes more than three weeks to have the first technical interview.

The interview checked many projects that are relevant to their interest. Questions are very detailed, it definitely needs for applicant to have a very clear idea to talk about. Since I have several research based projects listed on my resume. The questions are developed around my experiences. The process takes about 50 min.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer expected more than I've prepared. As I am not a native speaker, I feel some technical details are not explained as clear as it should be, even though I am quite familiar with what I did. Preparing stories might help.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in October 2014.

Recruiter initial contacted me through LinkedIn. I had an initial phone screen with the recruiter. Then a technical phone interview with an engineer. I then had a phone interview with the hiring manager to talk more about the position and the surround group. After that they flew me out to California for several in-person interviews. I was in interviews from 1-6, each interview last about an hour and had 2 people in each. After that they decided that I would be a better fit for a different group so I had 1 more technical phone interview with an engineer, and one more phone interview with the new hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any questions that stood out as difficult. All were pretty standard software engineer problems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple in October 2014.

Agreed to meet on-site in Santa Clara. Stood outside, apparently interviewer was waiting at a different door. He offered water. After going into the interview room had a whiteboard coding session. It involved creating a Java function to find the smallest number in an array. They emphasized communication with the interviewer who I would be working with. They were flexible and helpful during this point. After there were questions about Big O notation and Machine Learning. After the interview, in the parking lot, he started asking me about previous jobs I held.

Interview Questions
    • Open-ended Machine Learning question involving comparing data. There was a strong impression that they were fishing for a specific answer, or expecting something without providing much context.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple.

Contacted me through LinkedIn, and then scheduled a phone interview with the interviewer, ask me to write code in apple doc beta version. No general questions, directly to coding question. takes about 30-40 mins

Interview Questions
    • Use objective-c write code to return the first repeated integer from a given array, with O(n) time   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Apple in September 2014.

I spoke to Apple at a career fair that they were at. For some people they just took resumes and said they would get back to them later, but for others (myself included), there was a quick 5 minute interview (What is your favorite editor? What shell do you use? What's your favorite programming language? Scripting language?), which if you passed, led to an interview the next day. I had the interview the next day and it went pretty well. Got asked about runlevels, inodes, finding duplicate words in a text file (implementing uniq), what happens from power up to OS in a computer, and other various questions.

I was told I'd hear back in 2-3 weeks, but I never heard back with a denial or otherwise and this was over 3 months ago. Assuming I'm not moving forward.

Interview Questions
    • There is a mission-critical (i.e. cannot be rebooted) server that is lagging, hard. You only have a terminal/shell prompt. How do you debug it?   Answer Question
    • What are the runlevels of init?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in August 2014.

The interview process was what you'd expect from a company like this. I have about three phone screens (all of them were technical and the last one included a code snippet), followed by an all day on-site interview.

The on-site consisted of one hour interviews every hour (11-5), and we're all very technical. I was asked to solve various problems (your typical algorithm and data structure subjects), as well as explain the various projects I worked on in my most recent position.

The questions involved a lot of thinking, but I was able to find my way to the solutions after some time.

All in all, I'd say it was too bad as I had prepared by practicing algorithms (searching, sorting, etc), and brushing up on some objective-c (I had to teach myself it in the two weeks leading up to the on-site).

A good topcoder browse is a good resource for preparing to interview with this company.

Interview Questions
    • How would you speed up your typical bit reversal algorithm?   View Answer
    Very well organized and thought out. Excellent package.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in July 2014.

The phone interview wasn't exactly technical, I just spoke to the hiring manager and then was invited to an on-site interview. The on-site was a full day of about 5-6 technical interviews, with a few behavioral questions here and there. The technical questions related directly to the team's work
     and were not the typical general CS questions. I will not share the exact questions (integrity and all that...)

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were stuck on a problem? How would you formulate the question to your co-workers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Apple in July 2014.

Recruiter told me there will only be some probing questions on my experience for 30 minutes. But, the interviewer started asking coding questions for an hour. I couldn't understand his English due to his strong Chinese accent.

Interview Questions
    • How large file can be on HDFS distributed file system? Which was a silly knowledge testing.   Answer Question