Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Apple in September 2014.

Interview

I spoke to Apple at a career fair that they were at. For some people they just took resumes and said they would get back to them later, but for others (myself included), there was a quick 5 minute interview (What is your favorite editor? What shell do you use? What's your favorite programming language? Scripting language?), which if you passed, led to an interview the next day. I had the interview the next day and it went pretty well. Got asked about runlevels, inodes, finding duplicate words in a text file (implementing uniq), what happens from power up to OS in a computer, and other various questions. I was told I'd hear back in 2-3 weeks, but I never heard back with a denial or otherwise and this was over 3 months ago. Assuming I'm not moving forward.

Interview Questions

• There is a mission-critical (i.e. cannot be rebooted) server that is lagging, hard. You only have a terminal/shell prompt. How do you debug it?   Answer Question
  • What are the runlevels of init?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Apple.

Interview

Contacted me through LinkedIn, and then scheduled a phone interview with the interviewer, ask me to write code in apple doc beta version. No general questions, directly to coding question. takes about 30-40 mins

Interview Questions

• Use objective-c write code to return the first repeated integer from a given array, with O(n) time   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process was what you'd expect from a company like this. I have about three phone screens (all of them were technical and the last one included a code snippet), followed by an all day on-site interview. The on-site consisted of one hour interviews every hour (11-5), and we're all very technical. I was asked to solve various problems (your typical algorithm and data structure subjects), as well as explain the various projects I worked on in my most recent position. The questions involved a lot of thinking, but I was able to find my way to the solutions after some time. All in all, I'd say it was too bad as I had prepared by practicing algorithms (searching, sorting, etc), and brushing up on some objective-c (I had to teach myself it in the two weeks leading up to the on-site). A good topcoder browse is a good resource for preparing to interview with this company.

Interview Questions

• How would you speed up your typical bit reversal algorithm?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Very well organized and thought out. Excellent package.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, screened by manager and then a technical phone screen, then a take home coding test and then a day of onsite interviews. I will say this, every technical test prior to the onsite was easy, relatively. When the onsite interviews started, we jumped into the deep end right away and the questions were at least 3x more difficult than the technical phone screens or coding test. I was definitely not prepared :)

Interview Questions

• Reverse a string in Python without using str.reverse()   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

The phone interview wasn't exactly technical, I just spoke to the hiring manager and then was invited to an on-site interview. The on-site was a full day of about 5-6 technical interviews, with a few behavioral questions here and there. The technical questions related directly to the team's work and were not the typical general CS questions. I will not share the exact questions (integrity and all that...)

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were stuck on a problem? How would you formulate the question to your co-workers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Recruiter told me there will only be some probing questions on my experience for 30 minutes. But, the interviewer started asking coding questions for an hour. I couldn't understand his English due to his strong Chinese accent.

Interview Questions

• How large file can be on HDFS distributed file system? Which was a silly knowledge testing.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apple in June 2014.

Interview

Started with initial short phone call with their recruiter, covering my background and past experiences. Then a phone interview with a software engineer, covering background and technical experiences and languages.

Interview Questions

• given an integer, write code to list all primes preceding it.   5 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Recruiter contacted me for phone interview. Phone screen took 20 min and they flew me over the next week for interviews with 8-10 people.

Interview Questions

• The technical interviews weren't hard but I got nixed by a top decision maker for lack of experience in one area.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone Interview

Interview Questions

• The recruiter forwarded my resume to the wrong team and the both the manager and I realized this as soon the interview started. What a waste of time   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Apple in February 2014.

Interview

I dropped my resume and talked with a engineer in Apple at my university Career Fair. I was contacted after one week and got a phono interview with a manager in Siri Team.

Interview Questions

• The accent of the interviewer was very hard to understand. Given an array with N - 2 elements (two missing) from 1 to N, find the two missing elements in linear time and constant memory usage.   10 Answers