Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

91 interviews

3.3

91 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Apple in August 2011.

I had two phone interviews, both focused on solving programming problems

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in January 2012.

I did an initial phone interview where we discussed general technology, I presume this was to make certain they weren't wasting their time. They then followed up with on-site interviews for which I was flown out and put up in a very nice hotel. The interviews lasted from 9am-3pm in 45 minute increments, each with a different person. Each person was different, some wanted me to do specific programming problems others just wanted to talk about my experience. Overall the stress level wasn't too high, and I wasn't asked to do anything overly complex.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function that traverses a binary tree   View Answer
    • Write an array map function in Ruby and again in Javascript.   Answer Question
    • Given the following struct how much memory is require to store it in a 32-bit and 64-bit system?

struct A {
        char t;
        char *t;
      }
        View Answers (4)
    I was blown away by the offer, and did not negotiate. I often wonder if I could of gotten more, but I am happy with my initial offer.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Apple in July 2011.

HR/Manager interview went well, in person. Had phone technical interview where guy was asking obscure database terminology about implementations done 5 years ago.

Interview Questions
    • What database applications have you implemented in the past?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Apple in March 2011.

Phone interviews were standard fare: programming puzzles, algorithms, etc -- nothing out of the ordinary. The onsite interview was a much different story. Everyone was fairly rude and condescending. The general sentiment was: "Apple embodies greatness. You should be very happy that we've deigned to grant you a small part of our time."

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between a class, an abstract class, and an interface?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Apple in October 2011.

I was phone interviewed by two different groups. The questions are very general and not difficult, but their recruiters suck. They never replied your email and telling you the results. Also the engineers are arrogant and they do not respect others.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Apple in March 2011.

They give tow rounds of phone interview. First round is with the manager and the second round is with an engineer in the team. The question is algorithmic in nature. The interview process is also friendly. The people in the company are smart and they generally work hard. The company culture is also nice and encourages good ideas on products.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Apple in August 2011.

Original questions, not the usual off-the-shelf stuff. One interviewer even acknowledged that it made no sense for me to remember every obscure detail of a data structure, he was happy with me recognizing what the correct data structure for the task at hand was and explaining why
    Lots of problem solving: "we have this issue how would you tackle it?" questions, and the discussion was along the lines "I would do this" - "Do you know the performance implications? Complexity in time and space". I believe this was good: the interviewer was focusing on my skills as a programmer/designer of my own code rather than a walking algorithm reference book

Interview Questions
    • What would you want to do in 5 years from now?   View Answer
    I was given more than I hoped for and wanted. I simply said "yes".
    Do not expect wide margins for negotiation anyway. Company culture acknowledges working at Apple as a privilege in itself.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Apple in January 2011.

I responded to a job offer on the Apple website posting a resume and a short cover letter.

2/3 days after a recruiter from Apple contacted me via email telling me my profile was interesting.

He mailed me a coding exercise I had to do for the week after. I had to implement a small C program from precise instructions. The test involved slightly complicated algorithms and easy data structures handling.

About 1 week after I completed the test I had two similar phone interview with engineers that lasted under 45 minutes each. We talked about my previous work experiences, how work at Apple is and I was asked several technical question mostly about algorithms.

A few days after the recruiter told me I was to come to Cupertino (from France, where I live) to have a full day of on site interviews. The timeline for my recruitment was tight because of Visa deadline, so the interviews had to take place quickly. They finally told me the timeframe was to short to organize on site interviews so we did them through iChat instead. With the time difference the interview took place during the night for me.

I talked with 6 or 7 different engineers from the team the position was a part of among them was my 2 previous interviewers. Each interview was very technical with subject ranging from data structures to graph theory, computationnal geometry and spatial reasonning. I code stuffs and draw schematics on shared documents. Needless to say, with the last interview ending at 3am, I was really tired ! I was quite bad during this session. A few hours after I got a mail telling me I wasn't selected.

Interview Questions
    • Having two distinct very large ordered array of values, find the mean value of the two arrays.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Apple in August 2011.

Got an initial call from the recruiter through employee referral. Recruiter asked standard questions like what am I interested in, what my other options were and whether I was interviewing with other companies. He then asked me suitable dates for an initial phone screen interview with one of their managers.

Once the phone screen was over, recruiter got back to me saying they would like to invite me over to Apple campus for further on site interviews. I gave him a few dates I was available at and recruiter scheduled 4 interviews with team members I was going to work with if I was hired. The designation of interviewers ranged from peers to potential manager to department VP.

All were half hour interviews. People seemed really excited about being at Apple and working for one of the most successful company in the world. They all were very friendly and nice to talk to. Apple cupertino campus is beautiful. There is a lot of diversity at Apple. On the top of this, they all seemed really stressed out with work. The perception I got was that work environment is really hectic at Apple.

Interview Questions
    • Describe oen of the most exciting projects you have worked on. Then questions related to what I described.   Answer Question
    • What are design patterns, describe a couple of them.   Answer Question
    • How comfortable are you in picking up and learning a new language   Answer Question
    • Have you ever been in a stressful position at work and how did you handle that   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to join Apple and what will you miss at your current work if Apple hired you.   View Answer
    If possible, carry multiple offers and then negotiate. Apple was a little reserved in terms of negotiation but it totally depends on how your interview went, how much room they have to modify the offer for the position they interviewed you for and how much they like you.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Apple in August 2011.

Full day of interviews consisting of five 1:1 technical discussions. Every interviewer was very sharp and well prepared. Each had reviewed my resume and knew my background. Each had prepared questions about my past work as well as some things they were going to test me on. Overall very positive.

Interview Questions
    • Parallelize a presented segment of code using PThread primatives, being sure to highlight concerns with resource conflicts, order dependencies, and deadlock conditions.   Answer Question