Apple

Average Difficulty
89 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cupertino, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Apple in July 2011.

Interview Details – HR/Manager interview went well, in person. Had phone technical interview where guy was asking obscure database terminology about implementations done 5 years ago.

Interview Question – What database applications have you implemented in the past?   View Answer

Cupertino, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Apple in March 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interviews were standard fare: programming puzzles, algorithms, etc -- nothing out of the ordinary. The onsite interview was a much different story. Everyone was fairly rude and condescending. The general sentiment was: "Apple embodies greatness. You should be very happy that we've deigned to grant you a small part of our time."

Interview Question – What is the difference between a class, an abstract class, and an interface?   View Answers (2)

Cupertino, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Apple in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was phone interviewed by two different groups. The questions are very general and not difficult, but their recruiters suck. They never replied your email and telling you the results. Also the engineers are arrogant and they do not respect others.

Interview Question – What you did in the past   Answer Question

Cupertino, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Apple in March 2011.

Interview Details – They give tow rounds of phone interview. First round is with the manager and the second round is with an engineer in the team. The question is algorithmic in nature. The interview process is also friendly. The people in the company are smart and they generally work hard. The company culture is also nice and encourages good ideas on products.

Interview Question – Find number of ones in an integer.   View Answers (12)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Cupertino, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Apple in August 2011.

Interview Details – Original questions, not the usual off-the-shelf stuff. One interviewer even acknowledged that it made no sense for me to remember every obscure detail of a data structure, he was happy with me recognizing what the correct data structure for the task at hand was and explaining why
Lots of problem solving: "we have this issue how would you tackle it?" questions, and the discussion was along the lines "I would do this" - "Do you know the performance implications? Complexity in time and space". I believe this was good: the interviewer was focusing on my skills as a programmer/designer of my own code rather than a walking algorithm reference book

Interview Question – What would you want to do in 5 years from now?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was given more than I hoped for and wanted. I simply said "yes".
Do not expect wide margins for negotiation anyway. Company culture acknowledges working at Apple as a privilege in itself.

Cupertino, CA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Apple in January 2011.

Interview Details – I responded to a job offer on the Apple website posting a resume and a short cover letter.

2/3 days after a recruiter from Apple contacted me via email telling me my profile was interesting.

He mailed me a coding exercise I had to do for the week after. I had to implement a small C program from precise instructions. The test involved slightly complicated algorithms and easy data structures handling.

About 1 week after I completed the test I had two similar phone interview with engineers that lasted under 45 minutes each. We talked about my previous work experiences, how work at Apple is and I was asked several technical question mostly about algorithms.

A few days after the recruiter told me I was to come to Cupertino (from France, where I live) to have a full day of on site interviews. The timeline for my recruitment was tight because of Visa deadline, so the interviews had to take place quickly. They finally told me the timeframe was to short to organize on site interviews so we did them through iChat instead. With the time difference the interview took place during the night for me.

I talked with 6 or 7 different engineers from the team the position was a part of among them was my 2 previous interviewers. Each interview was very technical with subject ranging from data structures to graph theory, computationnal geometry and spatial reasonning. I code stuffs and draw schematics on shared documents. Needless to say, with the last interview ending at 3am, I was really tired ! I was quite bad during this session. A few hours after I got a mail telling me I wasn't selected.

Interview Question – Having two distinct very large ordered array of values, find the mean value of the two arrays.   View Answers (2)

Cupertino, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Apple in August 2011.

Interview Details – Got an initial call from the recruiter through employee referral. Recruiter asked standard questions like what am I interested in, what my other options were and whether I was interviewing with other companies. He then asked me suitable dates for an initial phone screen interview with one of their managers.

Once the phone screen was over, recruiter got back to me saying they would like to invite me over to Apple campus for further on site interviews. I gave him a few dates I was available at and recruiter scheduled 4 interviews with team members I was going to work with if I was hired. The designation of interviewers ranged from peers to potential manager to department VP.

All were half hour interviews. People seemed really excited about being at Apple and working for one of the most successful company in the world. They all were very friendly and nice to talk to. Apple cupertino campus is beautiful. There is a lot of diversity at Apple. On the top of this, they all seemed really stressed out with work. The perception I got was that work environment is really hectic at Apple.

Interview Questions

• Describe oen of the most exciting projects you have worked on. Then questions related to what I described.   Answer Question
  • What are design patterns, describe a couple of them.   Answer Question
  • How comfortable are you in picking up and learning a new language   Answer Question
  • Have you ever been in a stressful position at work and how did you handle that   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to join Apple and what will you miss at your current work if Apple hired you.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If possible, carry multiple offers and then negotiate. Apple was a little reserved in terms of negotiation but it totally depends on how your interview went, how much room they have to modify the offer for the position they interviewed you for and how much they like you.

Cupertino, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Apple in August 2011.

Interview Details – Full day of interviews consisting of five 1:1 technical discussions. Every interviewer was very sharp and well prepared. Each had reviewed my resume and knew my background. Each had prepared questions about my past work as well as some things they were going to test me on. Overall very positive.

Interview Question – Parallelize a presented segment of code using PThread primatives, being sure to highlight concerns with resource conflicts, order dependencies, and deadlock conditions.   Answer Question

Cupertino, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in June 2011.

Interview Details – Approached by recruiter after submitting resume online. Had a phone call with a manager followed by 2 back to back video interviews consisting of questions about my past work, and a couple of programming assignments at the end. Questions were strictly technical and focused on relevant experience only, skipping over those which didn't apply to the position I was interviewing for. Feedback was good and I was invited for on-site interviews. Surprisingly just a week later I was told they hired someone else and the interview stands canceled. I was very disappointed. I wouldn't say the experience was negative, as the interviewers and my recruiter were friendly and to-the-point. Recruiter still assured me they're looking for other open positions but nothing worked out and I gave up after 2 months.

Interview Questions

Cupertino, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Apple in November 2010.

Interview Details – Went very well on the phone but onsite it was a different story. A few affable folks but what a disorganized interview. The manager clearly spent no time divvying up topics, so I sat through six hours of the same damned questions over and over. A couple of guys clearly didn't want to be there at all. The manager was burned out, kind of listless, I'm not surprised - my connections confirmed the sweatshop atmosphere.

Interview Question – I don't remember the exact questions but they weren't very hard.   View Answer