Apple

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Syracuse, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Apple in April 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for the position through a career posting online through my university's job listing system in February and around early April I received an e-mail asking me to RSVP to an interview time. I did, and then I attended the event at a local hotel conference room. I signed in and then got to mingle a bit with the hiring managers and representatives from Apple who were there. They were real nice and immediately made me feel comfortable.

Once things began, there was only about 9 other people interviewing with me. We first introduced ourself and included an interesting fact about ourself and then moved on to viewing a few videos about Apple Retail and some testimonies from managers with Apple retail. It was clearly meant to get us excited about Apple and succeeded.

Shortly thereafter, we were broken up into 2 groups and then each group was offered a question to answer...along with a board to brainstorm and write down our answers on. Our groups questions was referencing something about how we could keep Apple ahead of the curve with respect to retail operations and offering the customer an even better experience. The other group's question asked how the company could strategize to keep the iPad buzz going in terms of marketing. While we were answering these questions, one or two of the managers would sit around and listen in on our conversations and what we thought. I didn't speak terribly much, but mainly added on to some general ideas and developed one of my own, so I would go against one of the reviews here that mentioned you should be outspoken in the interview, as I'm not so sure that's what their looking for. Afterwards, we presented our work and then had a question and answer session about the program with the Apple representatives who were there. After that, we were asked for preference times of when we would want to return tomorrow for an in person interview.

Later that evening, they gave me a call and let me know I was selected for the panel interview that would be held the next day. I showed up back at the same location. In the cafe-area of the conference center in the hotel is where they held the interviews. At one table, there were 2 managers, and at another one about 25 feet away were another pair of managers. I began at one table and another interviewee began at the other. After about 30 minutes, we swapped tables and began interviewing with the others. It was actually a pretty laid back experience. They asked me about some experiences on my resume and a couple of behavioral questions (I was expecting more) and that was really it. I was surprised the time went by so fast since an hour of interviewing to me sounded like an eternity.

A few days later, I received a call that I had been moved on to the next round which required a Video Podcast of "Why I want to work for Apple" and a background check. The background check was completed with an online checking service and both that and the video podcast were due in about 6 days. After turning them in, I was notified that a week later I would be notified if I was accepted into the program. Right on schedule, I received an e-mail that I had been accepted and to keep an eye out for more information regarding the offer. Two days later I got a call with my offer package.

Interview Question – Think of a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I don't know that I really could have negotiated, but they I was completely fine with what they offered me anyway. Especially after being caught up in the job search for 7 months after I graduated. It was way above the living wage and a great set of benefits like healthcare, stock options, and even a large amount of money to assist you in adopting a child should you choose to.

Interviewed at Apple

Interview Details – Phone interview was 45 min now going to hiring event

Interview Question – Why apple   Answer Question

Store Leader Program

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Apple in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online for the Apple Store Leader Program. A few weeks later, I received an email from an Apple recruiter notifying me that I had been selected for a phone interview and would be called soon to set up the interview. I was called on a Friday evening around 7PM EST and did not answer, the recruiter left a message saying to call them back. I called back Saturday and left them message. Then was called back on Monday, where we set up a time for Wednesday. She called that Wednesday and I thought the interview went quite well. I felt I was very qualified for the position. I have a high GPA, lots of experience with Apple products (consumer and professional), and lots of experience in leadership/supervisory roles. I think what I may have done was wrong was that I emphasized how much I knew about Apple products and software, rather than emphasizing people/communication skills. But this is in retrospect, at the time I thought the interview went very well. I was confident and expected to make it to the next round. I was disappointed when the next week I received an email saying that they were moving forward with other candidates. Considering I felt qualified and thought the interview went well, I wonder what they actually wanted to hear from me. I also wonder if it had something to do with our difficulty setting up the interview over the phone. But who answers their phone from an unknown number on a Friday night?

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Apple?   Answer Question
  • How many people were you responsible for with this past job (on resume)? and this one?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a project you worked on where you were the leader. (follow up questions about the project)   Answer Question

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!