Apple

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Apple.

Interview Details – It is a lengthy interview process that leads to a position at Apple.

Interview Question – How do you want to create a legacy?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Apple in September 2011.

Interview Details – Had several conversations with recruiter over the phone and met with local District Manager

Interview Question – Clearly the local DM had no experience in interviewing, didn't ask much. Told me a story about falling asleep in a store when he was a Store Manager. No impressed.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was a bit taken aback at how casual the employee attire was. A little too casual in fact. I'm not sure that employees should be wearing jean shorts and sneakers but, I digress. I was greeted by senior management within ten minutes of arriving. The male and female interviewers introduced themselves and directed me outside where we sat at a picnic table of sorts.

The interview was straight-forward enough but what I was thrown off by was how rigid and stand-offish the female senior manager was. When answering her questions, she was unable to look me in the eye while we conversed. From her body language I discerned that she just wanted to get the interview over with and move on. The male interviewer, however, was very pleasant, friendly and attentive.

The kicker was when she asked me if I had any further questions in which I asked, "so what is the average work-week like, hourly?" Her face became rigid and she answered with, "we are not here to talk about salaries, benefits or work hours. We are trying to figure out whether you can lead a team or not." At that point I knew the interview was over.

The male interviewer bid me a good day as the female employee walked ahead of him towards the store in The Domain. Needless to say I was not offered the position, despite being well qualified.

Interview Question – "What would be your slogan for yourself?"   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in January 2011.

Interview Details – you gotta asked questions about the products, about how you perform in front of peopole. the capacity to listen.

Interview Question – how would you handle someone who eats a pizza in the store?   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Apple in January 2008.

Interview Details – Phone interview, 3 separate interviews, first two with one person the final was a panel interview. I think they thought they were asking me hard, earth shattering questions, but it was really silly. They care more about the culture and what everyone looks like rather than what you can do for them as a store manager.

Interview Questions

• What is your hiring process like when you are assembling a team?   View Answer
  • Would you stay open later if our customers were still hungry to get in after a product launch?   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in December 2008.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of behavior based questions, multiple interviews with every facet of leaderhisp to operational processes to devleopment of others. Eveyrone was very in depth, asked probing questions and made you feel at ease. The interviewee's were district and regional based.

Interview Question – Tell me at time you had to have a difficult conversation and what was the outcome?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Apple in October 2009.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the Store Manager for a comparable position. Standard interview ?s, just the the thing that stuck out was how disinterested he seemed in being there. He was late to interview and did not appear to be in the store earlier in the day. He was one of the most arrogant people I have ever interviewed with and asked the most ludicrous questions repeatedly. The managers of these stores seem more interested in their egos than hiring a diverse and qualified staff.

Interview Question – How do you motivate your team?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Apple in July 2009.

Interview Details – Ridiculous interview in a mall food court
For the worlds most admired company, I was blown away by their overly casual attitude
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it, but c'mon...I still want to be professional and its hard to answer their 3hrs of interview questions with screaming kids, parents and the smell of fried food.

Seriously, how can Apple hire managers from Williams Sonoma, Gap and Starbucks to sell technology solutions to customers? Makes no sense...and even worse, the managers constantly joke they know nothing about the products; very tacky! Yes, the aforementioned companies are great at merchandising and creating a great experience, but they do not "Sell"; people walk in and know what they want. This is the trap Apple is falling into. A store full of arrogant retail snobs who know nothing about overcoming objections or asking for the sale.

The district managers are just as bad, always on their iphones interrupting the interview and putting out fires...whatever...i know how field mgmt works, they have it easy, mon-fri half days usually. My old District Manager would stop by for 1 hr per week and then go off to take care of his bratty kids the rest of the day.

For a company that prides itself on diversity, I saw no people of color in mgmt ranks...EVERYONE was white, blonde and tanned. LIKE, OH MY GOSH! Honestly, the worker bees are diverse, but all the managers are white as can be.

Anyways, enough ranting, standard interview questions and each person seems to ask the SAME question as their counterparts but only in different manner. Very boring and I had to push myself to stay focused past their repetition, stupid jokes, loud environment and senseless small talk (who cares what your favorite food is?)

I would agree that Apple is incredible; great brand w/ great products and their stores are THE retail experience to beat, but how long will this last? It seems like their customer segment is already saturated. I mean, c'mon, how many ipods can a person buy every few years?

I really see Apple retail hitting hard times in the next 3-5 yrs. They are too mgmt heavy and focus too much on creating a fun atmosphere vs selling solutions to customers. I saw five customers leave with no bags and just knew they would be going to Best Buy or Wal Mart to purchase the item the rep spent 30min talking to them about.

Stuttgart (Germany)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Apple in March 2012.

Interview Details – Normal interview questions after a store walkaround.
Wanted to call the following week. But they never did.
After four weeks (!) I wrote a mai. Immediate call: "We are so sorry..."
Thx a lot.....
Unprofessional.

Interview Question – Tell me about a triumph in your career!   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Apple in May 2009.

Interview Details – I spoke with a recruiter on the phone for about an hour than I was directed to the district manager for an interview. I later interviewed with a store manager and my final interview was with the regional manager. It took over two months to go through the process and after I received the job they joke that it is easier to get into college than a job at Apple.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There is little room for negotiates and you never know untill you ask but it has to go through the regional manager

Interviews for Top Jobs at Apple

Worked for Apple? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Apple Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Apple employees and interview candidates.