Applied Materials Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

2.9

Financial Analyst College Rotational Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Applied Materials.

The first interview was a phone interview, standard questions: tell me about yourself, and what do you think you can bring to Applied Materials. Then they said it would take about a week to get through all their interviews and make a decision. It took them 3 extra weeks and really put a strain on getting a plane ticket to come to a second interview. Even though I didn't get a second interview the process could have been quicker and actually notify if you make it or not without having to call them to check up.

Interview Questions
    • How has your past experiences helped in your leadership ability.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Applied Materials in March 2015.

30 min phone interview, asked some typical questions such as research experience, why choose Applied Materials. On site interview 2 weeks later. That consisted of 8 one-on-one interviews, including a 45 min to 1 hour presentation about my current research. Questions from all those sessions were mostly technical, great discussions on why I chose to take a certain pathway, why my analysis technique revealed certain trends etc.

Interview Questions
    • How did you confirm defect sites on the self assembled monolayer you deposited?   Answer Question

Process Engineer III Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Applied Materials.

Talked about details in PhD research, some technical questions.more focus on small details like the real hands on experience. Spended some time to explain what are they working on. Overall it was a pleasant interview. Discussed some plasma related details like how to form plasma and what is in it. Not too many unexpected questions. first interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Applied Materials.

Four rounds of interview over a period of 2 days: The interview questions were on Operating Systems, Mutex and Semaphores, Object Oriented Programming concepts followed by two rounds of coding interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Operating System related questions (Windows OS), C and C++ questions, questions on memory allocation, bit manipulations, string manipulations.   Answer Question

Commodity Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Applied Materials.

Initial contact through career fair. Follow up interviews via phone with hiring manager, director, and several group colleagues. On-site interview at Santa Clara with same people (single day round trip). Further contact after more than a month with "tentative offer" from a second-round of hiring. Final no offer a week later. Long interview process (likely due to winter holidays and also busy company)

Interview Questions
    • Some trick questions such as "Do you like making money?"   View Answer

Customer Engineer III Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Applied Materials.

Interview process took about 2 weeks, due to travel for in person interviews. Company paid for all travel expenses. Conducted one on one interviews with 4 personnel, all personnel were laid back and friendly. Had to troubleshoot to component level using a schematic, discuss knowledge of test equipment, and took a quick skills test.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't really have any difficult questions, interviews were more of casual conversations about resume and daily work duties. Just be prepared for questions on your technical knowledge, if you give lots of detail in your answers, you will eliminate any follow on questions.   Answer Question

Systems Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Applied Materials.

They interview process is very long drawn. It took me over 12 weeks when the process started initially. M&A 's happen and positions are removed and given in favor of the the merger. So its good to wait for feedback.

Process Engineer Interview

There was one phone interview. Questions about the education background and PhD experience. The manage also spent 1/3 of the time to explain the daily work over there. 1 onsite interview in 2 weeks. Met 7 people including division manager, group managers, engineers and HR people. Questions are more related hands on experience.

Interview Questions
    • What will you do differently if you do your Phd one more time   Answer Question

Process Support Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Applied Materials in November 2014.

I applied online. First, there was a phone interview with the hiring manager. A couple of weeks later, I was invited for an onsite interview. There were about 6 short interviews with managers and potential coworkers, lunch, and a technical presentation on any topic. This is a customer-oriented role which requires a fair amount of traveling on a daily basis.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary (Why do you want to work here, what do you see yourself doing in 5, 10 years, what would you do in this hypothetical question)   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Applied Materials in November 2014.

Contacted through college recruiting, interviewed on campus. Second rounds were a few weeks later after interviewing at other schools. Interviewing process was standard, mostly basic and behavioral questions first and then technical questions in second round.