Applied Materials

Updated Jan 28, 2015
Updated Jan 28, 2015

2.9

Customer Engineer III Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Applied Materials.

Interview process took about 2 weeks, due to travel for in person interviews. Company paid for all travel expenses. Conducted one on one interviews with 4 personnel, all personnel were laid back and friendly. Had to troubleshoot to component level using a schematic, discuss knowledge of test equipment, and took a quick skills test.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't really have any difficult questions, interviews were more of casual conversations about resume and daily work duties. Just be prepared for questions on your technical knowledge, if you give lots of detail in your answers, you will eliminate any follow on questions.   Answer Question

Commodity Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Applied Materials.

Initial contact through career fair. Follow up interviews via phone with hiring manager, director, and several group colleagues. On-site interview at Santa Clara with same people (single day round trip). Further contact after more than a month with "tentative offer" from a second-round of hiring. Final no offer a week later. Long interview process (likely due to winter holidays and also busy company)

Interview Questions
    • Some trick questions such as "Do you like making money?"   View Answer

Systems Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Applied Materials.

They interview process is very long drawn. It took me over 12 weeks when the process started initially. M&A 's happen and positions are removed and given in favor of the the merger. So its good to wait for feedback.

Process Engineer Interview

There was one phone interview. Questions about the education background and PhD experience. The manage also spent 1/3 of the time to explain the daily work over there. 1 onsite interview in 2 weeks. Met 7 people including division manager, group managers, engineers and HR people. Questions are more related hands on experience.

Interview Questions
    • What will you do differently if you do your Phd one more time   Answer Question

Process Support Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Applied Materials in November 2014.

I applied online. First, there was a phone interview with the hiring manager. A couple of weeks later, I was invited for an onsite interview. There were about 6 short interviews with managers and potential coworkers, lunch, and a technical presentation on any topic. This is a customer-oriented role which requires a fair amount of traveling on a daily basis.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary (Why do you want to work here, what do you see yourself doing in 5, 10 years, what would you do in this hypothetical question)   Answer Question

Systems Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Applied Materials in October 2014.

Applied for a similar position (Sr systems engineer) and was called 2wks later by a hiring manager who was interested in me because of current role and previous experience with similar fab process. Talked on the phone for an hour with some light technical "tell me about a time when" questions. They flew me out for an interview and I met with him, 2 of his managerial peers, his most senior direct report, and his boss and bosses boss. Pretty relaxed interviewing for a day with these guys who have been with the company for 10-15 years. They asked what my understanding of the position was, what I'm doing currently, and more "tell me about a time when...". One guy just chatted with me about what its like working/living in the Bay Area. Got a verbal offer from the HM at end of day, written offer a week later. They offered me 15% above my current Phoenix salary for a position in Silicon Valley. Negotiated slightly more base pay. They are covering full relocation costs, plus a hefty lump sum reimbursement for other moving expenses, and a small hiring bonus to be paid in first 30 days. Now my rent will go up 110%.

Interview Questions
    Always negotiate, is my opinion. They only increased base +$5k. I was asking for +$20k.

Customer Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopewell Junction, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Applied Materials in October 2014.

Found the job position on Craigslist and emailed my resume a day later i was called and did a phone interview. Then about a week later i was called to come interview onsite. The interview was easy up until the practical skills portion. Every questions required me to think very hard about them, but the interviewer has no problem guiding you as long as you have a basic concept. All in all it was i good interviewing experience and everyone was nice a professional.

Interview Questions
    • What would make this circuit not function?   View Answer
    no negotiation

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Easy phone interview with the hiring manager and the team that has the opening. Flight to Gloucester 5 days later for in site interview. Gave a presentation and had six 30min-interviews with HR, engineers, scientist, directors and team leaders. Everybody is nice, no hard question. Hiring manager said she would contact me in a few weeks but nothing from her since 1.5 months.

Interview Questions
    • Easy questions except a scientist asking about SIMS, XRF techniques that are not related to the job.   Answer Question

Controller Interview

Through company website and referral, HR and hiring managers work together to make a decision along with the chain of command at the company and the group of people that the candidate will be working with and also test for the cultural fit for the group which is different from each units of business

Process Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Applied Materials.

Process took 20 days after application. The contact was first through phone screening process and then a phone interview to see if you match their position/group. Then a call and an email to confirm a meeting time that requires a 30 minute presentation, and 30 minute interview with 5 people all at once.