Applied Materials Interview Questions

2.9

Systems Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Applied Materials in October 2014.

Applied for a similar position (Sr systems engineer) and was called 2wks later by a hiring manager who was interested in me because of current role and previous experience with similar fab process. Talked on the phone for an hour with some light technical "tell me about a time when" questions. They flew me out for an interview and I met with him, 2 of his managerial peers, his most senior direct report, and his boss and bosses boss. Pretty relaxed interviewing for a day with these guys who have been with the company for 10-15 years. They asked what my understanding of the position was, what I'm doing currently, and more "tell me about a time when...". One guy just chatted with me about what its like working/living in the Bay Area. Got a verbal offer from the HM at end of day, written offer a week later. They offered me 15% above my current Phoenix salary for a position in Silicon Valley. Negotiated slightly more base pay. They are covering full relocation costs, plus a hefty lump sum reimbursement for other moving expenses, and a small hiring bonus to be paid in first 30 days. Now my rent will go up 110%.

Interview Questions
    Always negotiate, is my opinion. They only increased base +$5k. I was asking for +$20k.

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Easy phone interview with the hiring manager and the team that has the opening. Flight to Gloucester 5 days later for in site interview. Gave a presentation and had six 30min-interviews with HR, engineers, scientist, directors and team leaders. Everybody is nice, no hard question. Hiring manager said she would contact me in a few weeks but nothing from her since 1.5 months.

Interview Questions
    • Easy questions except a scientist asking about SIMS, XRF techniques that are not related to the job.   Answer Question

Controller Interview

Through company website and referral, HR and hiring managers work together to make a decision along with the chain of command at the company and the group of people that the candidate will be working with and also test for the cultural fit for the group which is different from each units of business

Process Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Applied Materials.

Process took 20 days after application. The contact was first through phone screening process and then a phone interview to see if you match their position/group. Then a call and an email to confirm a meeting time that requires a 30 minute presentation, and 30 minute interview with 5 people all at once.

Finance Analyst Interview

There were 5 interviews and people were friendly. Didn't get the initial position but was then recruited for an alternate position. Overall interview process and questions were average. Recruiters called back quickly

Technical Support Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Applied Materials.

Applied online, hiring manager called me a week later. Had a casual interview with a potential peer at a coffee shop. Then brought in for a formal interview. Met with several account managers one at a time and finally the hiring manager. I was told to expect a phone call from HR the following week. Up until that point, I did not have any contact with HR at all.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too technical. Asked mostly about my previous experience in the industry; how I've dealt with customers in the difficult situations.   Answer Question
    They offered the salary I requested. In addition, they gave a 6% signing bonus.

Senior Project Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Applied Materials.

Interviewed one afternoon had job offer by 9am next morning. Contrary to this I was interviewing for another position with AMAT for over 3 months and they could not make a decision.

Interview Questions
    • How would I be able to make a difference?   View Answer
    As we walked towards the lobby I was asked what I would be looking for.

Process Engineer III Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Applied Materials in June 2014.

Director of the group called me and asked technical questions based on my resume.
    I got another call after a week and wanted me for an on-site interview within 3-4 days.
    Staffs were courteous. The asked very general questions.
    Explain in brief your PhD research.
    Did you ever have any difficulty and if any, how you solved.
    There was no technical questions except how AFM and SEM works.

Two weeks later got an email requiring to send background consent form and two weeks later I got the offer.

I had a window to negotiate when the HR said that negotiating will delay the current offer. I did not try anymore as I am bad at that.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Applied Materials.

Applied for the position through linkedin and got a call from the Sr.engineer about 5 months later. I ask him what the position is about and he actually laughed at me for not remembering 10 lines of job description. Nevertheless, I went for an interview next day. It lasted about 30 minutes. 4 guys casually asking general questions, with one guy walking in even more casually in between the interview and asking a technical question, for which I gave the correct answer.He gives me a sarcastic smile and walks out.
    The questions were mostly "can you do lab work ? "have you handled some particular xx tool earlier " etc which were not even mentioned remotely in the job description. Basically, I think they copy pasted a template of job description for some other job and posted it. The lazy attitude of the people was quite evident in the interview. For technical questions, I answered some questions correctly and did not remember some answers and told them the same since I had very little time to prepare for it. I don't understand the concept of expecting people to know about the exact tools they use and have worked on the exact software they have. I told them I had experience working on similar tools and that i can learn quickly and they had a "whatever" expression. A disaster of an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself 4 years from now ?   View Answer

Buyer I Interview

The interviewer were very nice, but they were a little bit late for interview. The good thing was that they tried their best to make candidates to be comfortable with the interview. The only thing that was not nice of them was it took so long time to process, have not received the offer yet.