Applied Materials Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

2.9

Senior Project Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at Applied Materials.

Interviewed one afternoon had job offer by 9am next morning. Contrary to this I was interviewing for another position with AMAT for over 3 months and they could not make a decision.

Interview Questions
    • How would I be able to make a difference?   View Answer
    As we walked towards the lobby I was asked what I would be looking for.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Applied Materials.

Applied for the position through linkedin and got a call from the Sr.engineer about 5 months later. I ask him what the position is about and he actually laughed at me for not remembering 10 lines of job description. Nevertheless, I went for an interview next day. It lasted about 30 minutes. 4 guys casually asking general questions, with one guy walking in even more casually in between the interview and asking a technical question, for which I gave the correct answer.He gives me a sarcastic smile and walks out.
    The questions were mostly "can you do lab work ? "have you handled some particular xx tool earlier " etc which were not even mentioned remotely in the job description. Basically, I think they copy pasted a template of job description for some other job and posted it. The lazy attitude of the people was quite evident in the interview. For technical questions, I answered some questions correctly and did not remember some answers and told them the same since I had very little time to prepare for it. I don't understand the concept of expecting people to know about the exact tools they use and have worked on the exact software they have. I told them I had experience working on similar tools and that i can learn quickly and they had a "whatever" expression. A disaster of an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself 4 years from now ?   View Answer

Buyer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Applied Materials in May 2014.

I applied on my university career portal and started to get e-mails. Then they set up the interview date after graduation. They flew us in and provided hotel accommodations and reimbursed us for food and taxi fares. They were hiring 4/8 candidates and interviewed us twice each, one by one. Still waiting to hear back from them, since it has not yet been two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers seemed to be asking the same questions over and over, just in different words.   View Answer

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Applied Materials in January 2010.

Long but good. It took several months and several people interviewed with to get an offer. It was a very long process but the process was effective and the people interviewed with were the ones that would be the right ones involved in a hiring decision.

no negotiating

Buyer I Interview

The interviewer were very nice, but they were a little bit late for interview. The good thing was that they tried their best to make candidates to be comfortable with the interview. The only thing that was not nice of them was it took so long time to process, have not received the offer yet.

Product Support Engineer II Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Applied Materials.

2 interviews covering previous work experience during internships, senior year projects, why you're interested in this particular role, hands-on experience working on tools.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to do this job when you have a Master's degree?   Answer Question

Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Applied Materials.

Received e-mail, and was set up with a phone interview. Interviewer was friendly and helpful. Overly technical interview questions were not involved. Interviewer was interested in my skills, interests and asked questions about my past work experience on my resume. Interviewer then asked about my skills, interests and asked questions about my past work experience on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • What skills do you have that would be good for this position?
      Do you have experience in this type of role?
      Why would you like this position and why is it a good fit for yourself?
        Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Applied Materials.

Only one onsite and asking a lot of technical questions

Interview Questions
    • I didn't know it would be the only interview, so didn't prepare for technical questions   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Applied Materials.

Internal relocation

None

Market Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Applied Materials in March 2012.

I was referred by a friend and immediately spoke to recruiter over the phone. In person interviews were across 2 days. Interviewed with potential peers, manager, as well as one level further up the chain (VP). Interview styles were rather informal (no IQ tests or tricks), more focused on experience and what I could bring to the table. Overall the experience was rather informal, but not sure if this is typical.

Interview Questions
    Open and direct. Don't be afraid to ask.