Applied Materials

Relevance Date Difficulty

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Member of Technical Staff
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Applied Materials in May 2012.

Interview Details – It took forever to get through the HR process but the interview went great. However the salary was 1/4 what I was making at my last job.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – pay vs. experience

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Member of Technical Staff
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Applied Materials in January 2010.

Interview Details – First phone screening was in late 2009, and I came to AMAT about a month later. About 2-3 weeks after the face to face interview they gave the offer and I started work about a month later. Phone screens were with a recruiter and then the hiring manager.

Face to face interview was all day and meeting members of the team and other employees in the division. I had worked in the semi business and specifically AMAT before, so nothing was a surprise. You interview all day and might be asked to talk about your technical background or what you think of key projects, but there are no puzzles or quizzes or nonsense like that!

You are treated as a highly skilled technical professional and not given huge fancy perks. People from out of town stay at budget hotels and I think get a meals allowance. In a way this reflects the values of the company because it is not a fancy, showy type of company - hardcore engineering.

Interview Questions

• What was a difficult situation you had to solve?   View Answer
  • How do you deal with requests for more work when you are swamped?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much - big company and middle manager means not that much latitude.

I tried this when getting hired at Intel and got nowhere. If you are a higher up manager/director/exec, I think there might be more flexibility. But big companies like AMAT operate by pay grades and there is at most 10-20% difference between highest and lowest. If you succeed in getting a high offer, you will get lower raises the next year. Eventually, everyone is within a pretty narrow range.

Don't worry, you aren't getting screwed on the offer. AMAT doesn't pay the most but they are not lowball.

Worked for Applied Materials? Contribute to the Community!