Applied Materials

Average Difficulty
21 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Process Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Applied Materials.

Interview Details – Process took 20 days after application. The contact was first through phone screening process and then a phone interview to see if you match their position/group. Then a call and an email to confirm a meeting time that requires a 30 minute presentation, and 30 minute interview with 5 people all at once.

Interview Question – Industry questions   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Applied Materials in May 2012.

Interview Details – Question regarding my academic background, explain my achievement, technical questions.
Why did you apply this job?
What is your status since I am OPT.
How much do you know about etching and lithography?

Since, I have professional degree, so it is not hard to answer these things.
Mostly, they show what skillset I have, what equipment I handled before, what background I have.

Interview Question – Why is you strength ?   Answer Question

Santa Clara, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Applied Materials in June 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a phone call and asked very general questions related my reseach works, the equipments I used, and group I worked.
Next day got an eamil about site interview after a week. The procedure for interview was as described by the folks in this post.

Interview Question – Explain most challenging situation in your research work.
Draw a diagram of TEM
  Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Applied Materials in May 2013.

Interview Details – Initiated with phone interview request which was primarily all-technical. Followed up with an on-site interview (no presentation required) which took up the entire day, meeting with nearly all members of the potential group's team.

Be very knowledgeable of the technical aspects of the technologies AMAT works with.

Interview Question – Why would you choose Applied Materials over a competing company?   Answer Question

Process Engineer

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Applied Materials in April 2013.

Interview Details – At least 2 interviews.

Constantly working late and on weekends.

Interview Questions

Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Applied Materials.

Interview Details – I did 45 min presentation with 15 min Q&A. I need to show how to solve the challenging problems. After presentation, 1 or 2 people started to interview me individually. Around 7 people asked technical and behavioral questions in a day.

Interview Question – Explain CVD process and give me an example to use.   Answer Question

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Applied Materials in April 2011.

Interview Details – One on-campus, followed by one on-site.

Interview Question – What are the High Value Problems for transistors going forward?   Answer Question

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Applied Materials in March 2013.

Interview Details – Dropped resume at a campus career fair. Got contacted via email a month later. No phone interview. Onsite interview scheduled two weeks afterwards.

Interview lasted half day. A guided tour of the facility and the office with the hiring manager first. Group presentation on latest research results. Interview with the hiring manager and two other managers. Typical HR questions and some technical questions based on resume.

Was promised to hear back in one week but never hear back.

Interview Question – Do you want to become a person like us   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

San Jose, CA

Interviewed at Applied Materials

Interview Details – I'm a PhD candidate graduating soon. My advisor was contacted by an employee in AMAT to refer a student intending to work for them. I just submitted my resume and was contacted immediately from them to requesting an on-site job interview. This is just scheduled soon and has not yet held.

Interview Question – When are you graduating? Can you start work sooner?   Answer Question

China, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Applied Materials in December 2009.

Interview Details – I applied on a recuritment conference hold by My university. about 1 week later got the phone call to test my oral english and chat for some basic information, then the HR told me he will send a link to my mail and i have to open the link to do some IQ test online, it will have a time limit. I did so and then about 2 weeks later i was called to have face to face interview, first was HR, and if pass will be recommanded to Hiring managers directly. then go back to wait for offer call.

Interview Question – no difficult question for NCG. just what did you do at campus and normal HR questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation since it is NCG hiring

Worked for Applied Materials? Contribute to the Community!