Applied Materials

2.8

52 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Systems Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Applied Materials in October 2014.

Applied for a similar position (Sr systems engineer) and was called 2wks later by a hiring manager who was interested in me because of current role and previous experience with similar fab process. Talked on the phone for an hour with some light technical "tell me about a time when" questions. They flew me out for an interview and I met with him, 2 of his managerial peers, his most senior direct report, and his boss and bosses boss. Pretty relaxed interviewing for a day with these guys who have been with the company for 10-15 years. They asked what my understanding of the position was, what I'm doing currently, and more "tell me about a time when...". One guy just chatted with me about what its like working/living in the Bay Area. Got a verbal offer from the HM at end of day, written offer a week later. They offered me 15% above my current Phoenix salary for a position in Silicon Valley. Negotiated slightly more base pay. They are covering full relocation costs, plus a hefty lump sum reimbursement for other moving expenses, and a small hiring bonus to be paid in first 30 days. Now my rent will go up 110%.

Interview Questions
    Always negotiate, is my opinion. They only increased base +$5k. I was asking for +$20k.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Applied Materials.

Applied for the position through linkedin and got a call from the Sr.engineer about 5 months later. I ask him what the position is about and he actually laughed at me for not remembering 10 lines of job description. Nevertheless, I went for an interview next day. It lasted about 30 minutes. 4 guys casually asking general questions, with one guy walking in even more casually in between the interview and asking a technical question, for which I gave the correct answer.He gives me a sarcastic smile and walks out.
    The questions were mostly "can you do lab work ? "have you handled some particular xx tool earlier " etc which were not even mentioned remotely in the job description. Basically, I think they copy pasted a template of job description for some other job and posted it. The lazy attitude of the people was quite evident in the interview. For technical questions, I answered some questions correctly and did not remember some answers and told them the same since I had very little time to prepare for it. I don't understand the concept of expecting people to know about the exact tools they use and have worked on the exact software they have. I told them I had experience working on similar tools and that i can learn quickly and they had a "whatever" expression. A disaster of an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself 4 years from now ?   View Answer

Finance Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Applied Materials.

I met with several people, each for 30-45 minutes. Very traditional approach. People were cordial and friendly.

Things move very slowly. No one at Applied is ever in a hurry to hire anyone.

Very slow process. Ask for more of everything going in because once you're in you're on a conveyor belt. Promotion? When it's your turn.

Process Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Applied Materials in January 2014.

Group interview followed with one on one interviews. Gave a presentation and answered questions. It was about my current research. Everyone is very friendly and smart. Questions to the point. They also briefly introduced their group and research, and ask me if I have any question.

Mechanical Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Applied Materials.

I was interviewed on the campus by both engineers and their supervisors. I described my research experience during my master's program and I also provided some design work from my master's research portfolio. I did research and coursework in the thermo sciences. This interview was for a design engineer position.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe my course work during my master's degree. I discussed my understanding of topics in CFD.   View Answer
    I was satisfied with the salary range so no negotiation was necessary. I appreciated work at the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Applied Materials.

I did 45 min presentation with 15 min Q&A. I need to show how to solve the challenging problems. After presentation, 1 or 2 people started to interview me individually. Around 7 people asked technical and behavioral questions in a day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Applied Materials in May 2013.

Initiated with phone interview request which was primarily all-technical. Followed up with an on-site interview (no presentation required) which took up the entire day, meeting with nearly all members of the potential group's team.

Be very knowledgeable of the technical aspects of the technologies AMAT works with.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you choose Applied Materials over a competing company?   Answer Question

Process Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Applied Materials in April 2013.

My PhD advisor knows an upper exec at AMAT, so I emailed them directly. He forwarded me to one of his Senior Directors. I mentioned that I was graduating soon and would be visiting the Bay Area, so he asked me to come in and speak with some people. It wasn't officially an interview, but it felt similar. I spoke with 4 senior directors for 30 min each, mostly about technical issues.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers asked very detailed questions about the technologies I would potentially be working on, and the potential difficulties in getting them to market.   Answer Question
    Every benefit that I was interested in was already part of the package, so I asked for an additional 5% salary and my counteroffer was accepted an hour later.

NPIE- New Product Introduction Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Applied Materials.

Hiring was carried out through NCG (new college graduate) Program. It was a well organized induction program. Initial screening interview was carried out on campus. @nd interview was in the hotel where you meet 4 various person includign hiriring Manager and HR. After this they extend offer. But the offer was very well caculated as per current market survey. Not generous. HOwever, the NCG program itself was a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • SOme behavior question were difficult but very standard stuff.   Answer Question
    no negotiation at NCG level

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I'm a PhD candidate graduating soon. My advisor was contacted by an employee in AMAT to refer a student intending to work for them. I just submitted my resume and was contacted immediately from them to requesting an on-site job interview. This is just scheduled soon and has not yet held.