Applied Materials

Relevance Date Difficulty

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Applied Materials.

Interview Details – Applied for the position through linkedin and got a call from the Sr.engineer about 5 months later. I ask him what the position is about and he actually laughed at me for not remembering 10 lines of job description. Nevertheless, I went for an interview next day. It lasted about 30 minutes. 4 guys casually asking general questions, with one guy walking in even more casually in between the interview and asking a technical question, for which I gave the correct answer.He gives me a sarcastic smile and walks out.
The questions were mostly "can you do lab work ? "have you handled some particular xx tool earlier " etc which were not even mentioned remotely in the job description. Basically, I think they copy pasted a template of job description for some other job and posted it. The lazy attitude of the people was quite evident in the interview. For technical questions, I answered some questions correctly and did not remember some answers and told them the same since I had very little time to prepare for it. I don't understand the concept of expecting people to know about the exact tools they use and have worked on the exact software they have. I told them I had experience working on similar tools and that i can learn quickly and they had a "whatever" expression. A disaster of an interview.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself 4 years from now ?   View Answer

Market Analyst Interview

Market Analyst
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Applied Materials in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend and immediately spoke to recruiter over the phone. In person interviews were across 2 days. Interviewed with potential peers, manager, as well as one level further up the chain (VP). Interview styles were rather informal (no IQ tests or tricks), more focused on experience and what I could bring to the table. Overall the experience was rather informal, but not sure if this is typical.

Interview Question – Why Applied and not a Start-up?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Open and direct. Don't be afraid to ask.

Finance Director Interview

Finance Director
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Applied Materials.

Interview Details – I met with several people, each for 30-45 minutes. Very traditional approach. People were cordial and friendly.

Things move very slowly. No one at Applied is ever in a hurry to hire anyone.

Negotiation Details – Very slow process. Ask for more of everything going in because once you're in you're on a conveyor belt. Promotion? When it's your turn.

Financial Analyst II Interview

Financial Analyst II
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Applied Materials in November 2010.

Interview Details – I have interviewed with 6 different managers. They were all for different position but under the same organization. All managers were looking for something particular. I was hired at a lower level position given my industry background. However, I was able to demonstrate my ability to learn quickly, be adaptable to different work environments, and willing to do whatever it take to get the job done.

Interview Question – Be prepared to answer technical accounting questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was happy with my offer and did not negotiate the salary.

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Mechanical Engineer I
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Applied Materials in March 2013.

Interview Details – Got called in for an in-person interview. Scheduled to have entire engineering staff of the hiring department to interview me but on the day of the interview it was only 3 people. One was the manager I would be working for. Another was a peer. Third was the director of engineering.

Interview consisted of going through my resume followed by some problem solving on the board.

Entire interview lasted just under two hours. Got called back two days later with offer for a contract position that turns full time in six months upon satisfactory performance.

Interview Question – You have a pin that fits perfectly in a block with a hole. Same material for both. Heat both items up. What happens to the pin?   Answer Question

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Senior Process Engineer
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Applied Materials in June 2009.

Interview Details – All day interview, be prepared to look at a lot of org charts. If they do it right, you should be meeting a few frontline engineers, more managers, and one big boss.

Interview Question – How do you handle a boatload of tasks dumped in your lap? Answer: prioritize   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation - they are going to offer you something in a range of salaries and won't be able to do much outside of that.

Santa Clara, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Applied Materials in June 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a phone call and asked very general questions related my reseach works, the equipments I used, and group I worked.
Next day got an eamil about site interview after a week. The procedure for interview was as described by the folks in this post.

Interview Question – Explain most challenging situation in your research work.
Draw a diagram of TEM
  Answer Question

Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Applied Materials in May 2013.

Interview Details – Initiated with phone interview request which was primarily all-technical. Followed up with an on-site interview (no presentation required) which took up the entire day, meeting with nearly all members of the potential group's team.

Be very knowledgeable of the technical aspects of the technologies AMAT works with.

Interview Question – Why would you choose Applied Materials over a competing company?   Answer Question

Process Engineer III Interview

Process Engineer III
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Applied Materials in April 2013.

Interview Details – My PhD advisor knows an upper exec at AMAT, so I emailed them directly. He forwarded me to one of his Senior Directors. I mentioned that I was graduating soon and would be visiting the Bay Area, so he asked me to come in and speak with some people. It wasn't officially an interview, but it felt similar. I spoke with 4 senior directors for 30 min each, mostly about technical issues.

Interview Question – The interviewers asked very detailed questions about the technologies I would potentially be working on, and the potential difficulties in getting them to market.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Every benefit that I was interested in was already part of the package, so I asked for an additional 5% salary and my counteroffer was accepted an hour later.

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Applied Materials in April 2011.

Interview Details – One on-campus, followed by one on-site.

Interview Question – What are the High Value Problems for transistors going forward?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Applied Materials

Worked for Applied Materials? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Applied Materials interview questions and advice in Santa Clara, CA. All 37 interview reviews posted anonymously by Applied Materials employees and interview candidates.