Applied Materials Interview Questions in Santa Clara, CA

2.8

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Process Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Applied Materials in January 2014.

Group interview followed with one on one interviews. Gave a presentation and answered questions. It was about my current research. Everyone is very friendly and smart. Questions to the point. They also briefly introduced their group and research, and ask me if I have any question.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Applied Materials in August 2011.

1. Resume submission: though the employee referral
    2. Phone interview: the first interview with the team member
    3. In-house interview with 2 interviewers: had back to back interviews with the hiring manager and another controller
    4. A few weeks after the interview, the Company's recruiter reached out to me and got me an offer
    5. Negotiation is done with the Company'r recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you move from one good company to this company?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Applied Materials.

Applied for the position through linkedin and got a call from the Sr.engineer about 5 months later. I ask him what the position is about and he actually laughed at me for not remembering 10 lines of job description. Nevertheless, I went for an interview next day. It lasted about 30 minutes. 4 guys casually asking general questions, with one guy walking in even more casually in between the interview and asking a technical question, for which I gave the correct answer.He gives me a sarcastic smile and walks out.
    The questions were mostly "can you do lab work ? "have you handled some particular xx tool earlier " etc which were not even mentioned remotely in the job description. Basically, I think they copy pasted a template of job description for some other job and posted it. The lazy attitude of the people was quite evident in the interview. For technical questions, I answered some questions correctly and did not remember some answers and told them the same since I had very little time to prepare for it. I don't understand the concept of expecting people to know about the exact tools they use and have worked on the exact software they have. I told them I had experience working on similar tools and that i can learn quickly and they had a "whatever" expression. A disaster of an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself 4 years from now ?   View Answer

Market Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Applied Materials in March 2012.

I was referred by a friend and immediately spoke to recruiter over the phone. In person interviews were across 2 days. Interviewed with potential peers, manager, as well as one level further up the chain (VP). Interview styles were rather informal (no IQ tests or tricks), more focused on experience and what I could bring to the table. Overall the experience was rather informal, but not sure if this is typical.

Interview Questions
    Open and direct. Don't be afraid to ask.

Finance Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Applied Materials.

I met with several people, each for 30-45 minutes. Very traditional approach. People were cordial and friendly.

Things move very slowly. No one at Applied is ever in a hurry to hire anyone.

Very slow process. Ask for more of everything going in because once you're in you're on a conveyor belt. Promotion? When it's your turn.

Financial Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Applied Materials in November 2010.

I have interviewed with 6 different managers. They were all for different position but under the same organization. All managers were looking for something particular. I was hired at a lower level position given my industry background. However, I was able to demonstrate my ability to learn quickly, be adaptable to different work environments, and willing to do whatever it take to get the job done.

Interview Questions
    I was happy with my offer and did not negotiate the salary.

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Applied Materials in March 2013.

Got called in for an in-person interview. Scheduled to have entire engineering staff of the hiring department to interview me but on the day of the interview it was only 3 people. One was the manager I would be working for. Another was a peer. Third was the director of engineering.

Interview consisted of going through my resume followed by some problem solving on the board.

Entire interview lasted just under two hours. Got called back two days later with offer for a contract position that turns full time in six months upon satisfactory performance.

Interview Questions
    • You have a pin that fits perfectly in a block with a hole. Same material for both. Heat both items up. What happens to the pin?   Answer Question

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Applied Materials in June 2009.

All day interview, be prepared to look at a lot of org charts. If they do it right, you should be meeting a few frontline engineers, more managers, and one big boss.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a boatload of tasks dumped in your lap? Answer: prioritize   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation - they are going to offer you something in a range of salaries and won't be able to do much outside of that.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Applied Materials in June 2012.

Applied online. Got a phone call and asked very general questions related my reseach works, the equipments I used, and group I worked.
    Next day got an eamil about site interview after a week. The procedure for interview was as described by the folks in this post.

Interview Questions
    • Explain most challenging situation in your research work.
      Draw a diagram of TEM
        Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Applied Materials in May 2013.

Initiated with phone interview request which was primarily all-technical. Followed up with an on-site interview (no presentation required) which took up the entire day, meeting with nearly all members of the potential group's team.

Be very knowledgeable of the technical aspects of the technologies AMAT works with.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you choose Applied Materials over a competing company?   Answer Question

Worked for Applied Materials? Contribute to the Community!