Applied Materials

2.8

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Applied Materials.

Applied for the position through linkedin and got a call from the Sr.engineer about 5 months later. I ask him what the position is about and he actually laughed at me for not remembering 10 lines of job description. Nevertheless, I went for an interview next day. It lasted about 30 minutes. 4 guys casually asking general questions, with one guy walking in even more casually in between the interview and asking a technical question, for which I gave the correct answer.He gives me a sarcastic smile and walks out.
    The questions were mostly "can you do lab work ? "have you handled some particular xx tool earlier " etc which were not even mentioned remotely in the job description. Basically, I think they copy pasted a template of job description for some other job and posted it. The lazy attitude of the people was quite evident in the interview. For technical questions, I answered some questions correctly and did not remember some answers and told them the same since I had very little time to prepare for it. I don't understand the concept of expecting people to know about the exact tools they use and have worked on the exact software they have. I told them I had experience working on similar tools and that i can learn quickly and they had a "whatever" expression. A disaster of an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself 4 years from now ?   View Answer

Finance Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Applied Materials.

I met with several people, each for 30-45 minutes. Very traditional approach. People were cordial and friendly.

Things move very slowly. No one at Applied is ever in a hurry to hire anyone.

Very slow process. Ask for more of everything going in because once you're in you're on a conveyor belt. Promotion? When it's your turn.

Process Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Applied Materials in January 2014.

Group interview followed with one on one interviews. Gave a presentation and answered questions. It was about my current research. Everyone is very friendly and smart. Questions to the point. They also briefly introduced their group and research, and ask me if I have any question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Applied Materials in May 2013.

Initiated with phone interview request which was primarily all-technical. Followed up with an on-site interview (no presentation required) which took up the entire day, meeting with nearly all members of the potential group's team.

Be very knowledgeable of the technical aspects of the technologies AMAT works with.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you choose Applied Materials over a competing company?   Answer Question

Process Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Applied Materials in April 2013.

My PhD advisor knows an upper exec at AMAT, so I emailed them directly. He forwarded me to one of his Senior Directors. I mentioned that I was graduating soon and would be visiting the Bay Area, so he asked me to come in and speak with some people. It wasn't officially an interview, but it felt similar. I spoke with 4 senior directors for 30 min each, mostly about technical issues.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers asked very detailed questions about the technologies I would potentially be working on, and the potential difficulties in getting them to market.   Answer Question
    Every benefit that I was interested in was already part of the package, so I asked for an additional 5% salary and my counteroffer was accepted an hour later.

NPIE- New Product Introduction Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Applied Materials.

Hiring was carried out through NCG (new college graduate) Program. It was a well organized induction program. Initial screening interview was carried out on campus. @nd interview was in the hotel where you meet 4 various person includign hiriring Manager and HR. After this they extend offer. But the offer was very well caculated as per current market survey. Not generous. HOwever, the NCG program itself was a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • SOme behavior question were difficult but very standard stuff.   Answer Question
    no negotiation at NCG level

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Applied Materials in March 2013.

Got called in for an in-person interview. Scheduled to have entire engineering staff of the hiring department to interview me but on the day of the interview it was only 3 people. One was the manager I would be working for. Another was a peer. Third was the director of engineering.

Interview consisted of going through my resume followed by some problem solving on the board.

Entire interview lasted just under two hours. Got called back two days later with offer for a contract position that turns full time in six months upon satisfactory performance.

Interview Questions
    • You have a pin that fits perfectly in a block with a hole. Same material for both. Heat both items up. What happens to the pin?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Applied Materials in March 2013.

Dropped resume at a campus career fair. Got contacted via email a month later. No phone interview. Onsite interview scheduled two weeks afterwards.

Interview lasted half day. A guided tour of the facility and the office with the hiring manager first. Group presentation on latest research results. Interview with the hiring manager and two other managers. Typical HR questions and some technical questions based on resume.

Was promised to hear back in one week but never hear back.

Process Engineer IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Applied Materials.

You send your resume. We review it. If we like you, we will call you and then we still like you we will ask you for an onsite. AMAT typically don't ask people for presentations during the interview, unlike most of the big technology companies in the east coast.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Applied Materials in June 2012.

Applied online. Got a phone call and asked very general questions related my reseach works, the equipments I used, and group I worked.
    Next day got an eamil about site interview after a week. The procedure for interview was as described by the folks in this post.

Interview Questions
    • Explain most challenging situation in your research work.
      Draw a diagram of TEM