Applied Underwriters

2.5

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Applied Underwriters in June 2013.

Phone screening from HR. Invite to engage in a battery of standardized testing in their Foster City office and then an official on-sight a few days later.

Arriving on-sight is creepy. BIg empty office with a fake boardroom, just a phone saying 'Pick up' Then HR emerges from the walls. The tests were the Wonderlick test (like the ones given to DFL draft prospects) and the Computer Programmer's Aptitude Battery Test. Both are timed and easy. You are then escorted out and reminded to come back for the next hr hoop to jump through.

3rd interview was the "technical" interview, however it was all just background review and standard soft skills questions (how do you resolve conflict, what's your greatest weakness....)

Interview Questions

I got a creepy vibe from the team members, they were all clearly over worked and not super happy where they were. Just ok benefits that would have taken 4 months to kick in. Completely archaic development environment (as described to me). But what really did it was when I asked for time to consider another offer, they threatened to rescind the original offer...that told me everything I needed to know about the position, management culture and vision. I rejected the offer soon after.

Tech Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Applied Underwriters in August 2014.

Recruiter found me on LinkedIn, was very nice, helpful, and communicative (as most recruiters are). Steps seem to be: resume submission, phone interview with recruiter, standardized exams, on-site interview. The standardized exams I had to take were: Wonderlic, CPAB (computer programming aptitude battery test), NEO (non-timed personality assessment). He gave me a week between telling me what the exams were and actually taking them, for preparation.

Interview Questions
    • Even though I have a graduate-level Ivy League education, I do not do well on standardized tests so I did not pass the standardized test step of the process. It is unclear whether I was rejected based on the behavioral or one of the aptitude exam results. It may be relevant to the reader's interests that while I was given a week to prepare for the exams I did not actually prepare for them because I suddenly found permanent housing in the area and had to move during that week.   View Answer