Apptio

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.9

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Apptio in September 2014.

The interview team is quite green. Panel interview and they will come unprepared, two of which were there less than a month. No quite a mature process. Did not give me a sense of organized company. Didn't give me a very welcoming vibe if you been in the industry for a few years.

Senior Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apptio.

I was contacted several months prior about a different position in implementing their tools, but was not interested. Then I got a LinkedIn message about this role, which seemed like a much better fit. Lots of good press for Apptio recently, so I gave the recruiter some times we could chat and got something scheduled later that week. The call went well and he asked to see my updated resume - as I wasn't really looking - which I got to him the next day. He presented this to the hiring manager, who agreed to have an hour long phone screen a week later. This call went extremely well, approaching an hour and a half in length. I was then asked for my availability for a 4 hour on-site interview.

They ran me through the car wash - everyone on the team and key leaders on adjacent teams. The team had experienced a lot of turnover recently, so it seems to be an exacting, if not difficult work environment. After I had what felt like the best interviews of my professional life, I met again with the hiring manager to talk through next steps. At this point we were nearly a half hour past schedule, but I had taken the day off from work so this did not negatively impact my schedule.

Unfortunately this is the point where they went off the rails, and began talking through the 5 hour homework assignment and presentation they expect of all their candidates. After I pushed back on the time investment required -after all I was being recruited by them and am perfectly content in my current role - all I got in response was they've always done it this way. They've also always had a lot of turnover, so perhaps a change in tact might behoove them.

Apparently this type of constructive criticism is not what they were looking for in the position, as they pulled a complete 180 from bringing me back in for more interviews to not even getting in touch to indicate they were going in a different direction. All in all there is an undue sense of importance in what they've built and where they're going - not to mention a complete lack of consideration for passive candidates who might be able to help them move the needle.

Interview Questions
    • The QA lead asked about SQL even though the hiring manager explicitly indicated this was not a job requirement.   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Apptio in June 2014.

There was a 5 panel interview group in the room. The group went around asked questions about my resume and past experience. Yet every time I gave an example I was inter erupted and they had to tell me about their experience. After they got through telling me how smart they were I had to present. Total interview time 2-3 hours

Interview Questions
    • Had to present analysis on some issues that had been sent to me prior to the interview. Group wanted more detail than I had provided.   Answer Question

The people interviewing meeting were talking to me as if I was an idiot and yet could not answer simple questions I was asking them about their platform. It was like talking to children.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Apptio.

Had three rounds of interviews. The first round was with human resources. Questions were typical screening questions and professional. The second interview was with a technical recruiter who had similar screening questions plus questions about my experience with Microsoft Excel, relational databases, IT support, project management and similar consulting work. I was given a "take home" test which consisted of multiple spreadsheets to analyze and write a report on within 48 hours. If this test is truly like what you would do in the job, then this was the best interview test I'd yet seen from any company as a chance to really get to know the interviewee's capabilities and the quality of their analysis and writing. A week later I was scheduled a follow-up meeting with a senior technical person to go over the results of the test and demonstrate my technical skills, especially those skills involving pivot tables and macros and charting, and to discuss my assumptions and conclusions (from the report). The technical interview came and the interviewers had not seen my report or the test and did not ask for a single demonstration of technical skills, but mainly asked the same general questions as the first two rounds of interviews. The interviewers also did not go over the report I'd written or discuss it in any way and did not ask any questions about my resume. The technical person did ask me some accounting type questions such as "what is a general ledger" as well as some questions about my understanding of Apptio's solutions, but in reality the "technical interview" was not technical and did not cover the topics which the technical recruiter said would be covered. I was left with the impression the technical people are too overworked to actually look at the candidate's report or resume, which seems like a real missed opportunity but does seem to give insight into the expected workload (extremely high) of the technical positions.

Interview Questions
    • For me the more challenging questions were those involving definitions of accounting terms.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apptio in May 2014.

I applied for this position through a LinkedIn ad. After filling out the required paperwork and sending in a copy of my resume I had a technical phone screen.

The phone screen was with one of Apptio's senior engineers. It covered a more detailed description of the position as well as further details about Apptio's business. I was asked to summarize my experience and why I was interested in working at Apptio. I was then asked a number of technical questions related to Java, some specifics related to Java's threading model and how that interacts with various scheduling primitives like atomic types and the volatile keyword.

Following the phone screen I was asked to come in for an on-site interview loop. This took the forum of 5 interviews with engineers and HR personel over the course of a day. The technical interviews with the engineers were a mix of describing my experience and technical/programming questions which required writing solutions on a whiteboard. The interviews with HR personel involved general questions about my expectations for employment, any questions I might have concerning the company and it's culture, and salary expectations.

After this I was told I would be contacted withing a couple of days. After 4 days I contacted them for news and was told that I would not be offered the position.

Overall the interview experience was challenging and enjoyable. Apptio have some interesting work going on and the people seemed friendly and knowledgeable.

Interview Questions
    • Designing an algorithm for automated restaurant booking involving combining tables if required, to match the various sizes of groups making bookings.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Apptio.

I found the hiring process professional, smooth and fast-paced with Apptio. Met live in the offices with 5 team members throughout the marketing dept and found them intelligent and welcoming, as well as open and straight-forward about the culture and energy on the team. I learned a lot about the company and the marketing goals during this interview before even coming on board.

Interview Questions
    • How will you transition from a large established company to a smaller growing environment?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Apptio.

HR reached out to me via LinkedIn. Had an intial HR informational call. I then met with the hiring manager and her boss via phone interviews. (I was a remote candidate.) I was told by HR that they were happy with the interviews and wanted me to continue to move forward in the process. There was mention of flying me in to the HQ soon. After seven hourlong phone interviews, with HR having a positive response each time, I never heard back. I reached out two times and never received any response. Very unprofessional but I suppose it was a blessing in disguise because I can't imagine working for a company whose employees are so disrespectful.

Accountant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Apptio in April 2014.

contacted by hr for screening interview. questions were based around how my experience matched the role. HR told me I seemed like a great fit and they would call back to set up next interview. I didn't get a call back.

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Apptio.

Initial communication and coordination of the interview was great. I had two 1:1 interviews with mid-level software engineers: the interviewers were friendly and both interviews were challenging but went well. I got called back for one more interview with a top level engineer/manager. I struggled a bit on his technical question, but he was abrasive and condescending in response to any of my questions. He had the attitude that since I didn't get the solution immediately I was wasting his time; this attitude lasted the rest of the interview. I turned around several times while coding to see him reading his phone, not even paying attention. I was pretty close to asking to end the interview, since it was clear he would rather be somewhere else. I decided when I left that regardless of the overall outcome I wouldn't want to work under this guy in any capacity. I never got a response either way from HR, which was icing on the cake of me never wanting to work there.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to talk in depth and code anything on your resume, they dug deep on some topics.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Customer Success Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Apptio in January 2014.

Had an initial phone interview, then regional manager and then onsight with the entire team. Everyone is completely unorganized, not prepared or on the same page.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you here? What position and why did you apply here?   Answer Question