Aquent

Updated Nov 19, 2014
Updated Nov 19, 2014

2.6

Designet Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Aquent in November 2014.

Most recruiters handle situations professionally.... without making you feel pestered, so you get the chance to think if this is truly the new project you want to pursue. They work with los of clients, and compete with other agencies. I get the impression that the amount they get for ea h contractor they place is higher comparex
    d to other agencies... meaning that contractors get a bit less compared to working with other agencies as third party ... overall, its a good experience and I liked it.

Contract Position - Dallas, TX Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Aquent.

I had a really good interview; it was very thorough and my recruiter went over numerous possible questions that the company I would be contracting for might ask. I was really impressed ... until I got an offer and Aquent tried to lower the hourly pay that we had discussed in the interview. I found this to be really unprofessional, and I didn't buy the story that my Aquent recruiter told me about how the client had gone over their budget and had to lower the hourly rate. I insisted on the original rate of pay and was offered the position, but I turned it down for other reasons. Interesting side note: After I turned down the position, I saw it advertised online about a week later through another recruiting agency, and the rate of pay was the original (higher) rate that Aquent had offered me. So I think the "budget" story was not true.

I had a mostly positive experience with Aquent, but the 11th-hour "renegotiating" left a sour taste in my mouth. I would advise potential contract employees to stand firm for the original rate of pay they were promised, and not to accept a lower rate of pay later.

Interview Questions
    • "The client has gone over their budget and wants to know if you'll accept $XX instead of $XX" (a rate roughly 15% lower then the original rate that Aquent told me was the rate for the position).   Answer Question

I think the company was a good one, but I didn't think it was a good career move in the long run. Also, it didn't sound like it would have led to a full-time position.

Technical Lead - Java Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Aquent.

Initial contact was from the company's recruiter. Communications were friendly and cordial. I went through the standard recruiter-level screening where we make sure job qualifications and candidate experience match at a high-level and was then offered a phone interview with the hiring manager(?) at the location where the work was to be performed.

The second interviewer was polite, friendly and personable however the interview format was completely unexpected and a bit, hmm.... checklist-like (for lack of a better word) - ironic given the initial job description stated they didn't want candidates who fit a checklist of criteria. (laughing to myself). The interview was immensely "rote". It wasn't an interview where you want to discover if someone has the aptitude to solve problems. It was more like an interview to discover if someone still remembers keywords after taking a Java 101 class. It was questions like, "what's the difference between a mutable and immutable object? Give an example" or, "What is an interface, a subclass, a superclass?". It was seriously like taking a test. Admittedly, in my own nervousness I stumped on one that I answered later and then didn't have answers to a couple others due to non-use in my prior coding experiences. Nonetheless they were things that I'd have been able to recall and apply very quickly with 5 minutes on Google. (I think one was on AOP).

Some of the other questions were more on-point for a Sr. developer position. Expect to be able to explain the difference between a left and right join. I'd say there were a handful of questions where you're answer actually indicated an understanding of a concept rather than your ability to remember elementary answers and repeat them back to the "instructor" on the final exam. The questions about SQL were good. The other good question had to due with understanding grouping and aggregate functions. Can't recall the specific question but it was something where the answer was to group all distinct col1 values and display the sum of all the col2 values ordered asc/dsc.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected aspect was the rote approach of using the equivalent of a Java101 exam to test someone's ability to apply it solve real world problems.   Answer Question

Contract Interview

Aquent representatives got back to me quickly, we scheduled the interview and conducted it, but she did not follow through afterwards. For someone looking for a job and wanted a temp company to help, this is a dead end.

Interview Questions
    • They ask a lot about your previous struggles in other companies   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Aquent in July 2014.

Typical placement agency procedure; fill out the online app, followed by a phone conversation/screening. Phone conversation usually serves to set the candidates expectations rather high then after a few weeks you figure out that they will never reach out to you about a job - ever. Just say no to agencies as this has been my experience with all of them in multiple job markets!

Agent/Recruiter Interview

Do your research on the organization and the managers/team members you are interviewing with. Have questions prepared for each step and ask great questions.

Account Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Aquent in November 2013.

Experienced a fast paced hiring process; meet with hiring director, team members, VP and SVP. Interviewing process involved face to face meetings, Skype chats, and phone interviews. Had to complete a detailed soft copy and create an account strategy presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Seemed to be very concerned with hitting daily and weekly metrics. Be prepared to talk about specific points in your career where you made a financial impact.   Answer Question

Technical Infrastructure Coordinator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Aquent in September 2013.

My initial interview was over phone with an Aquent recruiter, followed by a telephonic interview with the future manager for whom I would work for in this well known software company. This was followed by a face to face interview with the same manager, followed by a more in-depth interview with the same manager and his boss.

Interview Questions
    I was given a flat offer with no negotiation room

Production Artist Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Aquent.

Bring a profession portfolio to interview. Simple questions of what you are hoping to gain from the agency. If you're a new designer, be aware that you will have to take an assessment test.

Interview Questions
    It's all contract base depending on the client.

Designer Interview

Aquent is great to get you an "in" to the creative market. Contracts last between 6 month to a year, depending on company and title.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't, my interview went well, just be positive and polite.   Answer Question