Aquent

31 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Lead - Java Interview

Technical Lead - Java

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Aquent.

Interview Details – Initial contact was from the company's recruiter. Communications were friendly and cordial. I went through the standard recruiter-level screening where we make sure job qualifications and candidate experience match at a high-level and was then offered a phone interview with the hiring manager(?) at the location where the work was to be performed.

The second interviewer was polite, friendly and personable however the interview format was completely unexpected and a bit, hmm.... checklist-like (for lack of a better word) - ironic given the initial job description stated they didn't want candidates who fit a checklist of criteria. (laughing to myself). The interview was immensely "rote". It wasn't an interview where you want to discover if someone has the aptitude to solve problems. It was more like an interview to discover if someone still remembers keywords after taking a Java 101 class. It was questions like, "what's the difference between a mutable and immutable object? Give an example" or, "What is an interface, a subclass, a superclass?". It was seriously like taking a test. Admittedly, in my own nervousness I stumped on one that I answered later and then didn't have answers to a couple others due to non-use in my prior coding experiences. Nonetheless they were things that I'd have been able to recall and apply very quickly with 5 minutes on Google. (I think one was on AOP).

Some of the other questions were more on-point for a Sr. developer position. Expect to be able to explain the difference between a left and right join. I'd say there were a handful of questions where you're answer actually indicated an understanding of a concept rather than your ability to remember elementary answers and repeat them back to the "instructor" on the final exam. The questions about SQL were good. The other good question had to due with understanding grouping and aggregate functions. Can't recall the specific question but it was something where the answer was to group all distinct col1 values and display the sum of all the col2 values ordered asc/dsc.

Interview Question – Most unexpected aspect was the rote approach of using the equivalent of a Java101 exam to test someone's ability to apply it solve real world problems.   Answer Question

Contract Interview

Contract

Interviewed at Aquent

Interview Details – Aquent representatives got back to me quickly, we scheduled the interview and conducted it, but she did not follow through afterwards. For someone looking for a job and wanted a temp company to help, this is a dead end.

Interview Question – They ask a lot about your previous struggles in other companies   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Aquent in July 2014.

Interview Details – Typical placement agency procedure; fill out the online app, followed by a phone conversation/screening. Phone conversation usually serves to set the candidates expectations rather high then after a few weeks you figure out that they will never reach out to you about a job - ever. Just say no to agencies as this has been my experience with all of them in multiple job markets!

Agent Interview

Agent
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Aquent in March 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process involved an interview with a manager, a VP, and then one of the cofounders of the company. There was also a case study involved that was not difficult, but somewhat challenging.

Interview Question – Focus on accomplishments and focus on a time when you made a bad decision.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not bad - they gave me what I wanted.

Agent/Recruiter Interview

Agent/Recruiter

Interviewed at Aquent

Interview Details – Do your research on the organization and the managers/team members you are interviewing with. Have questions prepared for each step and ask great questions.

Interview Question – What is your favorite brand and why?   Answer Question

Account Director Interview

Account Director
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Aquent in November 2013.

Interview Details – Experienced a fast paced hiring process; meet with hiring director, team members, VP and SVP. Interviewing process involved face to face meetings, Skype chats, and phone interviews. Had to complete a detailed soft copy and create an account strategy presentation.

Interview Question – Seemed to be very concerned with hitting daily and weekly metrics. Be prepared to talk about specific points in your career where you made a financial impact.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Graphic Designer Interview

Senior Graphic Designer
Irvine, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Aquent in July 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was simple and straight forward. They looked for attributes and skills that they can showcase to their clients. It was very encouraging and supportive. They gave me some resume critique and I also did a timed InDesign assessment test at home. (no results given)

Negotiation Details – They set me up with the client to basically give me a run down of the job and that was it. Very easy. Aquent did all the work and negotiations for me.

Production Artist Interview

Production Artist

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Aquent.

Interview Details – Bring a profession portfolio to interview. Simple questions of what you are hoping to gain from the agency. If you're a new designer, be aware that you will have to take an assessment test.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It's all contract base depending on the client.

Anonymous Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Aquent.

Interview Details – Totally smoke and mirrors. Metrics are not in keeping with industry standards and are unobtainable.

Negotiation Details – N/a

Designer Interview

Designer

Interviewed at Aquent

Interview Details – Aquent is great to get you an "in" to the creative market. Contracts last between 6 month to a year, depending on company and title.

Interview Question – There wasn't, my interview went well, just be positive and polite.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Aquent

Worked for Aquent? Contribute to the Community!