ArcelorMittal USA

Updated Jan 18, 2015

2.8

Associate Engineer- Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Chicago, IN

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at ArcelorMittal USA in June 2013.

It was a pretty straight forward process. I worked on a project for Am through my university. So when i wanted an internship, I asked them and luckily they had an opening.

I was contacted by the HR, I did well in that interview. I was given an offer, because I was recommended by the group I would be working for. So I really do not have too many inputs about the interview process. However, i must mention here that, their full time hiring process is really challenging.

I witnessed three interviews and I can tell that you will be tested on all possible fronts if you want a full time job at AM.

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indiana Harbor, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Indiana Harbor, IN

interviewed at ArcelorMittal USA in May 2013.

Applied online and was contacted about a week later to take a online management/leadership test. A couple of days later, I was contacted by HR and offered an interview. Interview consisted of two separate interviews on the same day, one with the division manager and one with a two person panel consisting of the managers I would be working for. It was a very good experience and the questions were behavior based, (Situation, What did you do and what were the results). Seems like a great company to work for with good compensations and benefits. No offer yet.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you were a leader of a work group/project and how you managed the process and the results?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shelby, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Shelby, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ArcelorMittal USA in April 2013.

I went for a face-to-face interview at their facility in Shelby OH. It was an 140 mile round trip with no mileage compensation. I had a decent interview, but never got any feedback. Plus, the interviewers never replied to my emails or phone calls. It seems rude not never provide a reply to a candidate after a face-to-face interview.

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA
    Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at ArcelorMittal USA in April 2013.

Relatively simple although this is because there are 2 more interviews to go through. I was accepted to work in Chicago and go to the 2nd interview until they saw my transcript which showed a rough freshman year. All questions were pretty predictable and easy to answer.

Financial Analyst Interview

I had a first round interview with ArcelorMittal. It was very straightforward with behavioral questions based around leadership and teamwork. The interviewer was casual and friendly. We spent a lot of time going through the different roles and locations that ArcelorMittal has available.

Associate Electrical Engineer-intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Penn State University, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Penn State University, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ArcelorMittal USA in February 2013.

Got the interview call through university career fair

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral questions like reacting to a situation and team work   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ArcelorMittal USA in February 2013.

I was first asked some HR problems and then some questions about technical skills and personalities. But after he knows I'm international students I feel like he doesn't have any interests going on with the interview process.

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Chicago, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ArcelorMittal USA in January 2013.

They recruit pretty heavily at my university so I talked to them at the career fair. I got signed up for an interview the next day on the spot. Interviewed one-on-one with a recent alum (about 4-5 years out of school) who first talked about what he has worked on at Arcelor and then asked about my interest in the company and the field, had me walk him through my resume and asked a few specific things about experiences and skills listed. They had 30 minute interview slots booked all day after the career fair and it took up all of it. Saved about 5 min at the end for any questions I had. I talked to three recruiters throughout the whole process and all were extremely sociable and funny.

About 2 weeks later I got a call from an HR manager informing me of the offer and some of the details (Indiana Harbor plant, $17/hr (dependent on graduation year, I'm a sophomore), $1650 living stipend for the summer) and followed up shortly after with an email with the full offer.

Interview Questions
    • He asked about 4-5 behavioral STAR questions; Name a time you worked successfully as part of a group, name a time you had to seek help from someone else, name a time you overcame something unexpected, name a time when you were forced to work in an uncomfortable situation or environment and asked a few follow ups for each one while taking notes. Pretty standard interview questions.   Answer Question
    They require interns to have a car as public transport isn't available to their plants which was an issue for me but they seemed pretty confident I would be able to arrange a carpool since most interns live in nearby university housing.

Financial Analyst Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burns Harbor, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burns Harbor, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ArcelorMittal USA in September 2012.

The interview process was like any other behavioral interview and all answers were expected to be answered with the STAR approach. There were a lot of similar questions that they wanted you to be prepared to answer. It is good to know about the company and being that it is a steel company you should know that the surroundings you may be put in may not be the most luxurious. Overall, the interview and hiring process was a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you better than any other candidate interviewing for the same position?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Chicago, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ArcelorMittal USA in June 2012.

Met with the recruiters an a local career fair. Provided my resume and said that I was interested in a position requiring more math (previously I was working as a project manager). Had a follow up phone interview. This led into an interview with three of their employees. Those employees were mostly one level below the VP of purchasing which led to the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • I was describing something I did in my econometric's class regarding looking at public metro's in different cities, their population densities, and hoping to find some relationship between those and their finances. The person I interviewed then asked me to delve into the details which I wasn't entirely prepared to do (the class was a few years ago), but I muddled through it.   View Answer
    Limited ability to negotiate. I was brought on as a temporary which then turned into a full time offer. Regarding negotiating the full time offer, I checked with my company "mentor" (somebody with lots of experience but outside of your department" about figuring out how competitive it was. As it included a promotion, raise, full-time offer, benefits, etc., he said that I should not use the political capital necessary to get a few minor concessions at the time and take it as is. I did.