Archipelago Learning

Relevance Date Difficulty

Editor Interview

Editor
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Archipelago Learning in May 2012.

Interview Details – Asked your basic run of the mill interview questions. Then there was a skills test which test your knowledge of the subject area and your ability to edit grammar.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult decision you had to make?   View Answer

QA Director Interview

QA Director
Dallas, TX

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Archipelago Learning in January 2012.

Interview Details – 1. Due to the fact that the company is in the process of being bought out.
It's a very High Risk Job. When companies buy each other out, most of the time they eventually consolidate their IT shops. So it seems pretty wild that they aren't clearer to candidates about their situation.
2. I don't think they really interview well. This position was a director level position. yet, i must have met with 20 to 30 people during the interview process. That sounds all fine and dandy, but in reality. When can you ever get that many people to agree on anything, and if you ever get to the point where you do.. you have to realize that after 20 plus candidates go through that many interviews.. the people interviewing.. seem to "relax" their standards.. cause they start getting to the point where they just want to get it over with..

It's always a bad idea to have that many people involved. I understand getting buy in on a candidate but that approach isn't the best.

3. The office, downtown and it looks like crap. Even the VP's office the spot reports to is basically in a closet. in fact this "director" spot will be assigned a cube..
4.. Director level spot.. but hey.. they only have 2 QA people.. that's not really reflective of QA Director level need.. really that's what people call a QA Lead..
5. The pay is also on the low end for Director Level.
6. Communication. They don't communicate very well at all. which should give you insight on how life would be working there.
7. When discussing the rates for contractors they want to hire.. Their rate expectations are WAY out of wack.. and are inflexible. Meaning that they arent really receptive to sound advice and that in reality their budgets are going to be unrealistically aligned with their objectives

Not a good fit for me obviously.

Interview Question – nothing. really important.. The Panel was a silly interview questions.
The Developers asked questions that only pertained to "a developer".
The VP asked nothing really interesting.
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Quality Assurance Interview

Quality Assurance
Dallas, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Archipelago Learning in March 2011.

Interview Details – Consisted of a phone interview, and then a panel interview 3 people from HR and 1 team member. Most interview questions were behavioral. Interview was easy.

Interview Question – just behavioral questions like have you ever had a problem working with development   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They offered a salary that was way below my salary expectations which they knew before they brought me in. It was a total waste of time.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Director, Investor Relations Interview

Director, Investor Relations
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Archipelago Learning in November 2010.

Interview Details – One of the most professional and thorough interview processes I have experienced in a very long time. The recruiter was very organized and thoughtful in keeping me informed on the process. Interview questions were thoughtful and the interviewers were very prepared. There were several phone interviews and one day of onsite interviews. Since the company is recently public the Board was also part of the interview process. I was asked to submit writing samples and to give feedback on the Company's current releases and website. My references commented that it was one of the best reference conversations they have had with an HR professional hiring for such a technical position and were very impressed. The environment is relaxed, respectful, and inclusive, and the people are very personable, approachable, accomplished in their field of expertise and hard working. I felt comfortable from the moment I entered the building and being in Uptown Dallas -- well what a great location. I suggest that candidates do their homework, are detailed, honest and open. This is a very intelligent group of people building a company that is growing at an extremely rapid pace, and they are looking for leaders and go-getters.

Interview Question – Provide a 45 second summary of Archipelago and why it is a good investment consideration.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes, I was able to negoitate and did so. I would suggest reviewing the whole comp structure, not just base. Although the base was fair and compeitive, I believe the long-term compensation made the offer even more attractive. It confirmed to me that they were serious about hiring for the long-term and that I would financially benefit directly from the company's success.

Investor Relations Interview

Investor Relations
Dallas, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Archipelago Learning in May 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with all of the c-level officers. After what was a great process, I was told that feedback was very positive and that the position then only rtequired board approval. The board declined to approve the position and shortly afterwards the company went radio silent on any/all of my inquiries

Interview Question – Describe your strength & weaknesses.   Answer Question

Worked for Archipelago Learning? Contribute to the Community!