Arhaus Furniture Sales Consultant Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

2.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Arhaus Furniture in October 2010.

Interview

Applied on-line and got a call within two days to set up an interview for a part-time sales position. Initially met with Store Manager who was very friendly, forthcoming and realistic about the responsibilities, citing the sales staff responsibility to clean the store, unload truck and load purchases for customers etc. I have worked on straight commission before and this position was not much different, so I was not surprised. Initial interview went well, just the usual questions, more a meet and greet session. I received a call for a second interview for the next week with a district manager. I found this manager was very unprofessional. Interview was conducted in the middle of the sales floor with customers shopping and nervous sales staff circling but afraid to approach the District Managers interviewing space. District Manager made snide remarks about the current staff’s poor sales performance and their poor client follow through. Pointed to two members of staff and remarked that they would be gone soon due to their poor sales. Outlined main responsibilities, which are sell, sell and sell. Arhaus requires staff to collect names and phone numbers of shoppers for follow-up calls, so you need to persuade shoppers to give you their contact details. All pretty typical for full commission sales, but seemed they wanted “used-car salesman” sales aggression. Interview soon became uncomfortable as a customer sneered and rolled their eyes in disbelief at District Managers audible comments. At first I thought it was a test of “how not to act in front of clients” but then decided it is just a lack of client consideration. District manager claimed to be a long-time employee so guessing those are the qualities that are desired at Arhaus. Neither clients nor staff is important. It was soon apparent that ours would never be a match, but interview dragged for well over a half hour. District manager regaled me with tales of great sales, promises of big commission checks, then shared sob stories given by clients looking to back out of their purchase. Seems nearly all the upholstered pieces are considered “Custom order”. Once make your selection and sign, the sale is final, regardless of sickness, job-loss or anything else.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you will be bored woking here?   Answer Question
  • Are you comfortable finding reasons to collect customer contact information and then calling them to generate sales?   Answer Question