Arista Networks

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

3.3

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Arista Networks.

The first round of Phone Screen for Arista was one hour long. I was asked to implement 3 problems based on data structures. The interviewer was quite helpful and gave hints when I got stuck in a question.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to implement 3 problems:
      1. Finding the inorder predecessor of a node of a Binary Tree.
      2. Finding the smallest node of a Binary Tree
      3. How to detect if there is a loop in a Linked List.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Arista Networks.

The people I corresponded with were responsive and helpful. The interview consisted of creating a general stack in C. The interview gave me many hints and was helpful through out the process. He might have been easier on me because I wasn't applying for a full-time position.

Interview Questions
    • What is the expected time complexity of the stack with my specific implementation. It wasn't too difficult and the interviewer gave good hints.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Arista Networks.

Applied online... Got a mail for setting 1st round. 1st round was coding... I finished coding... There was a small bug...Interviewer pointed it out.. Then there was time..He asked to choose the topic like Unix/C++/C/DS...I selected Unix, C++...He asked tricky C++ program output and then went in full deep why and how it works...Virtual function internals...printf internals... till kernel level...1 hour interview went on till 1 hour 45 minutes...Most exhaustive and in depth ever...I enjoyed it...
    Interviewer was good....Stanford guy ...
    I was called for onsite 2 hour interview...Went there...This guy was Manager started with very trick C questions and asked me why output was like that...full in depth... I told to best of my knowledge...
    Asked me to design malloc...I did ..he was not satisfied..after 1 hour 15 min ..he said I don't fit the requirement on the face and let me pass....

I felt happy to be rejected... No point working in a place where people are judged based on such questions and not on technical knowledge...I prefer to spend my time something useful product..

Interview Questions
    • Tricky C coding questions related ....what will be output of trick program and why it is like that...Design malloc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Arista Networks.

Applied through campus job fair. 1 hour on campus interview. Ask to write code and debug on recruiter's mac by vim, and tested by some prepared test cases.The same as others' question, to find missing number in continuous integer sequence.

Interview Questions
    • The same as others, to find missing number in continuous integer sequence. Make sure to think clearly about edge case.   Answer Question

Systems Test Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Arista Networks in November 2014.

Recruiter contacted through Linkedin contacts - forwarded resume which was put up in the list and selected by Engineering Team. The team members contact directly and there was no HR/recruiter intervention in the whole process - liked it. Phone screen was about basic networking and testing methodology concepts. Was selected for onsite interview. Onsite interview was taken by 3 senior engineers all sitting together in the same room - largely divided into two parts : first part was about debugging a customer field scenario for a Networking system test bug - along with clarifying protocol concepts as I debugged. The second part is about a switch performance issue debugging in a test/lab environment. Did well in both and the feedback was given instantly. Manager contacted few days later and called for a talk - took about 1.5 hours - asked everything about views about teamwork, projects I worked on, about job role and fitment etc. Asked about 5 references including past supervisors - gave them all. All were contacted between 2 to 5 days. All positive so far - and here comes a frustrating wait for 2 weeks+ for "obtaining offer approval". After 2 weeks and repeated email, got the shocker email that "unfortunately no offer can be made at this point". Very disappointed - should have been upfront if there was a concern about paying higher salary or if there has been a hiring freeze etc.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Arista Networks in November 2014.

I have a on campus interview. All the questions are technical, never mentioned about my background or my thought. The coding question is easy. It is about output node's value in a linked list by fibonacci sequence. Then the interviewer asked my to choose one set of questions. There are about 6 sets. I chose OOP first and did very bad in this part. The questions are very basic concept questions that I learnt in undergraduate. Then I chose to answer networking questions. He showed me 10 networking protocols and let me to explain some of them in detail. Such as BGP, OSPF, DHCP, etc. I did good in this part. I think the interview is not too hard, but you really need to be familiar with basic concepts.

Software Engineer Interview

Two rounds of phone screens or one phone screen and one on site. Totally up to the interviewee. I've actually done interviews for the company. It is pretty selective.

I was right out of college and did not negotiate

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through University Career website. Got an interview from Arista 3 hours after applying. (I guess they are bringing a lot into interview.) However, that is also the reason they are very slow when coming to decisions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Arista Networks.

My interview was a phone interview that required me to ssh into their servers die a technical coding interview. The coding portion took around 20 minutes, and the remaining time of the 1 hour interview involved questions on data structures and talking about what I have done and my experiences. The coding portion was implementing functions of a binary search tree. The other questions asked by mouth were on things like linked lists, comparing singly vs doubly-linked, their time costs, etc. All in all, there was a big focus on data structures.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to implement some functions of a binary search tree such as finding the next node with inorder traversal. It was then tested with pre-written tests. This was all done in C.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I contacted a recruiter by email and I got a call for a phone interview within a few days. During the phone interview, the interviewer made me do SSH into their system. He asked me a question on removing nodes in a linked list having a particular integer data value.

He had some code ready and I had to write the code for the function RemoveNode and compile and run it. I messed it up with some logical errors which led to Segmentation Fault. The interviewer wasn't helpful and would sometimes not respond at all when asked something by me.

Then he asked a vague question about how will you debug the code when a customer may complain about the system not working. I gave some answer but then he decided to end the interview. He said I need more practice and would like if I reapply when I am ready. So in short it was a reject at the end of the call itself.

Interview Questions
    • Remove nodes in a linked list having a particular integer data value.   Answer Question