Arista Networks Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Arista Networks in December 2014.

Interview

On campus recruiting, get the interview reply waiting for only one day after submitting the application, and schedule the interview one week later, the interview is fully technical and two unchanged questions. Interviewee is nice and keep trying to guide you to right direction. The time is about 45 min and you are required to write code on paper and discuss with him continuously.

Interview Questions

• same questions as you may notice: 1.find the successor of a node in the binary search tree. 2.find the missing number in the array(Both O(n) and O(logn))solution.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Arista Networks.

Interview

Applied through campus job fair. 1 hour on campus interview. Ask to write code and debug on recruiter's mac by vim, and tested by some prepared test cases.The same as others' question, to find missing number in continuous integer sequence.

Interview Questions

• The same as others, to find missing number in continuous integer sequence. Make sure to think clearly about edge case.   Answer Question

Systems Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Arista Networks in November 2014.

Interview

Recruiter contacted through Linkedin contacts - forwarded resume which was put up in the list and selected by Engineering Team. The team members contact directly and there was no HR/recruiter intervention in the whole process - liked it. Phone screen was about basic networking and testing methodology concepts. Was selected for onsite interview. Onsite interview was taken by 3 senior engineers all sitting together in the same room - largely divided into two parts : first part was about debugging a customer field scenario for a Networking system test bug - along with clarifying protocol concepts as I debugged. The second part is about a switch performance issue debugging in a test/lab environment. Did well in both and the feedback was given instantly. Manager contacted few days later and called for a talk - took about 1.5 hours - asked everything about views about teamwork, projects I worked on, about job role and fitment etc. Asked about 5 references including past supervisors - gave them all. All were contacted between 2 to 5 days. All positive so far - and here comes a frustrating wait for 2 weeks+ for "obtaining offer approval". After 2 weeks and repeated email, got the shocker email that "unfortunately no offer can be made at this point". Very disappointed - should have been upfront if there was a concern about paying higher salary or if there has been a hiring freeze etc.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Two rounds of phone screens or one phone screen and one on site. Totally up to the interviewee. I've actually done interviews for the company. It is pretty selective.

Negotiation

I was right out of college and did not negotiate

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Arista Networks in November 2014.

Interview

I have a on campus interview. All the questions are technical, never mentioned about my background or my thought. The coding question is easy. It is about output node's value in a linked list by fibonacci sequence. Then the interviewer asked my to choose one set of questions. There are about 6 sets. I chose OOP first and did very bad in this part. The questions are very basic concept questions that I learnt in undergraduate. Then I chose to answer networking questions. He showed me 10 networking protocols and let me to explain some of them in detail. Such as BGP, OSPF, DHCP, etc. I did good in this part. I think the interview is not too hard, but you really need to be familiar with basic concepts.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied through University Career website. Got an interview from Arista 3 hours after applying. (I guess they are bringing a lot into interview.) However, that is also the reason they are very slow when coming to decisions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Arista Networks.

Interview

My interview was a phone interview that required me to ssh into their servers die a technical coding interview. The coding portion took around 20 minutes, and the remaining time of the 1 hour interview involved questions on data structures and talking about what I have done and my experiences. The coding portion was implementing functions of a binary search tree. The other questions asked by mouth were on things like linked lists, comparing singly vs doubly-linked, their time costs, etc. All in all, there was a big focus on data structures.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to implement some functions of a binary search tree such as finding the next node with inorder traversal. It was then tested with pre-written tests. This was all done in C.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Arista Networks (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I sent my resume to them by email. Several days later I was asked to fill the information they required online. After that I get a phone call from the HR recruiter, who discussed something with me then told me that she will sent me a email for online testing. I got the email and completed the online testing and several days later was invited for a on site interview. 2 engineers interviewed. One of them is very kind but the other is not.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I contacted a recruiter by email and I got a call for a phone interview within a few days. During the phone interview, the interviewer made me do SSH into their system. He asked me a question on removing nodes in a linked list having a particular integer data value. He had some code ready and I had to write the code for the function RemoveNode and compile and run it. I messed it up with some logical errors which led to Segmentation Fault. The interviewer wasn't helpful and would sometimes not respond at all when asked something by me. Then he asked a vague question about how will you debug the code when a customer may complain about the system not working. I gave some answer but then he decided to end the interview. He said I need more practice and would like if I reapply when I am ready. So in short it was a reject at the end of the call itself.

Interview Questions

• Remove nodes in a linked list having a particular integer data value.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arista Networks.

Interview

Worst Experience in all of the interviews I have attended. First about me. I had graduated 4 years ago and I had quite some experience in the industry. The first round is you have to ssh into thier system and the interviewer had 2 questions for me. Some clever way of linked List printing and another clever way of tree traversal. I nailed both these questions, all the tests passed and The interviewer was all praise for me. He told me that I was to be ready for the next round, Congratulations and all. Now comes the interesting part. The second interviewer asks me to send my Degree Transcripts <wth? I'm not a fresher> Ok, I send it. My GPA at masters is 3.5/4 and my Undergrad was 8/10. He looks at those and he sends me a reject email without even interviewing me. First of all, I'm not a fresher, and if at all I'm hired, Arista gets to employ someone who obviously has more than academic knowledge. So mean people, and heavy headed people. They could have told me that there is a GPA cut off even for non-freshers so that I could have better used my time, bad interview process.

Interview Questions

See What Arista Networks Employees Are Saying

Current Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros: “Outstanding team, Excellent work culture, can do attitude. This has by far, the most advanced software development environment among the networking companies. The tools are a generation...”“Outstanding team, Excellent work culture, can do attitude. This has by far, the most advanced software development environment among the networking companies. The tools are a generation ahead. Engineers are allowed to run with their work. No politics. The top engineering management is filled with some of the smartest engineers in the valley. Everyone is very helpful. And you have a very good work-lie balance. And since the tools are very good, there is no goop code to write. You can just focus on the design and write your code, without getting burdened with porting your code to various branches etc. And the best thing is the automated test infrastructure. There is no separate test team - the developers are responsible for writing all the tests. I wish I had joined such a company when I was fresh out of school. But better late than never :-) All in all, a very good place to work at. There is a lot of growth ahead for this company.” – Full Review