Arista Networks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Architect Interview

Software Architect

Interviewed at Arista Networks

Interview Details – 1st round - interviewer was very pleasing and knowledgeable. Asked the same questions in glassdoor like delete all nodes from a linked list, mem copy, binary search tree getNext etc.
2nd round - I was asked to implement generic stack API, the interviewer kept on interrupting while I was writing the code on the board. Discussed the advantages/disadvantages on many different designs. Finally he said "not a fit". Then I asked him "why". He said that I didn't answer to this question correctly - How to define a pointer to a const var(I had done it correctly "const type *variable_name", he gave a lecture to convince me a wrong a answer "type * const variable_name). Looks like they have some inexperienced interviewers who judge candidates based on some trivial things.

Finally if anyone in Arista reading, I suggest the to change the interview process like this:
1st round - 2 programing sessions
2nd round - 2 general discussions

Every time, two interviewers can discuss and make a call. It's not easy to find good candidates these days.

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Arista Networks in August 2013.

Interview Details – Question : Find missing number from an array of numbers that are sorted and each is an increment by 1 from the previous number.

Interview Question – Easy questions but you need to be very quick .. no time to think.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Senior Program Manager
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Arista Networks.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a former co-working about my possible interest in coming to his company and then after meeting with him and learning more about the company, he set up an interview with the manufacturing VP. It was a positive interview experience; however, at that time the VP felt that they did not have a position that would fit for me. A couple of months later, however, I received a message that there was now an opening that I might be interested in. Interviews were set up with 4 other folks with me and those seemed to go well. After this, I received word that the founder also wanted to interview me by phone. After my phone interview, the founder then also reached out to one of my references whom he also knew after which an offer was made.

Interview Question – Asked to describe in fair detail how I would handle still meeting schedule when there was an activity that I was reliant upon someone else to deliver whom had replied that they would be unable to meet my timeline due to other commitments.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Arista Networks

Interview Details – Please see glassdoor for all the questions. They will ask you the same questions again and again.

Learn c pointers, some data structures like linkedlist, trees and you should be good. Use good programming practices like good function names, variable names and good function prototypes.

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Arista Networks in July 2013.

Interview Details – Two rounds of interviews,
1st round screening -- delete a node from a linked list
                                 -- find the 1st missing number
                                 -- padding
Did not do smoothly since still in working mode, but answered all.
In fact, the interviewer's answer for padding is wrong.

2nd round the guy just say upfront the interview won't continue if
1st hour does not go well. To implement a generic stack API (create,
 push/pop), we discussed some technical details while I implemented
 the stack api. After I finished, he said sorry.
 Unlike others, i did not feel shocked though I don't know why.
 It saved the time of both of us if chemistry does not match.

Interview Question – No difficult question, and luck depends on whether you give them the answer they want.   View Answer

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Arista Networks in January 2011.

Interview Details – 3-part interview consisting of a phone screen, and then 2 (back-to-back) interviews with a manager and then a founder. The screen was on programming basics over a shared ssh screen session (data-structures, memory management, basic C stuff, general algorithmic questions, etc). The interviews consisted mostly of more coding and design questions (designing a generic data collection's interface) with only a cursory discussion of my resume.

Interview Question – Oh, operating systems was your favorite class? Well, how do you feel about the way [such and such OS] lays out their virtual memory in [such and such a manor]. Oh, you don't know that? Let me explain it to you, and let's analyze the design tradeoffs they made.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – We hire our engineers for their engineering ability, not their negotiation ability. It wouldn't be fair to compensate and engineer better for something that has nothing to do with their role.

Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Arista Networks in July 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring is a two-step process with a first screening round consisting of programming and quiz type exercises. If you clear it, you will be called for a second round where more of design and system level questions will be asked. If the interview goes the full distance the chances of making an offer are very high, unless there is some issue with references.

Interview Question – Frankly most questions were testing the basics of areas that I was familiar with. The last interview did get into depth of details but nothing scary in my opinion.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room to negotiate at the time that I got an offer. But, things may have changed since then...

Intern Software Engineer Interview

Intern Software Engineer

Interviewed at Arista Networks

Interview Details – Just use SSH to program. Basic C and C++.

Interview Question – I don't know much about C.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

Interviewed at Arista Networks

Interview Details – Met them at a job fair, had an on-campus interview at my university, after completing that they gave me the offer for the internship. The interview involved coding in C and then answering some follow up questions about cases I may have missed. I was asked what my favorite class was and then asked a somewhat difficult question about that class.

Interview Question – For both of the following questions, you were given the code for a node in the tree, which had data, parent, left, and right data fields. The interview was in C:
1. Given a root node of a binary search tree, find the smallest node in the tree.
2. Given a node in a binary search tree, find the next largest node in the tree.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Arista Networks.

Interview Details – The first interview was a face to face interview. It was all technical questions, the interviewer gave me problems in her laptop and had me figure out things through source code. One of them is deleting nodes in the linked list, and to debug some code.
Made it to the 2nd interview, where they interview you through phone and SSH to their computer. They ask about building data structures and how to handle memory management. I think I did pretty well, for I was able to answer almost all of the questions correctly if not all of them correctly. It was pretty sad when they said they can't go through to the 2nd part. The interviewer said that they were very picky at that time, I guess they just want to advertise their company in that manner.

Interview Question – They ask questions about time complexity, in different scenarios.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Arista Networks