Arizona Department of Public Safety
www.azdps.gov Phoenix, AZ 1000 to 5000 Employees

Arizona Department of Public Safety Human Resources Analyst Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources Analyst Interview

Human Resources Analyst
Phoenix, AZ

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Arizona Department of Public Safety in March 2013.

Interview Details – WRITTEN app on 2/1. 2 days later call asking for email address. I was invited to test for the position - the test 2/7. Email:
Good evening:
The testing process will consist of the following:
Total Weight = 50%
PART I – 50-item multiple choice examination
1. Human Resources Management
2. Classification and Compensation
3. Recruitment and Selection
4, Benefits
5. Statistical Data Interpretation
PART II - Scored written exercise involving analytical and written skills.
Suggested Reading:
Mathis, Robert L. and Jackson, John H., Human Resource Management
Took test. Days later received call that I had passed the test portion and invited to QAB on 2/13. They ask everyone the same 7 questions and then rate you.
On 2/15, they called I was #1 on the eligibility list! She had other candidates to talk to and would get back to me. On 2/22 got the following email:
We are anxious to begin filling our vacancies and you should be hearing more from us within the next couple of weeks. We're working through an internal reorganization within our bureau and want to make sure we know where the pieces fit before we move forward!
Limbo lasted until approximately 3/14 they called and told me they wanted me to come in for a polygraph. At this time, I asked them what they pay was. The sheet said $45-61,000 which is a huge range. Based on my 8 years of HR experience and a Masters degree, the pay was going to be about $53,700.On 3/22, I talked to the Manager and she stated I interviewed so much better than everyone else and she thought I would go far and that I could help them out a lot. It was very uplifting. After that, I filled out a 3 page questionnaire about everything you NEVER wanted to tell anyone else in your life. If you do not want to spill your guts to another human being about personal stuff, then don't even apply to the job.
The papers you fill out ask you all about crime, sex, drugs etc. Then you go in to see the examiner. He takes your paper and then proceeds to go over practically every question on the paper. He gets clarification on them where he needs it. This is the pre-test interview. Anything you divulge at this time is just free information. All of the questions on the sheets will not be asked on the polygraph.Then there is the polygraph section. It IS recorded. Questions: "Did I intentionally or knowingly falsify any information on my application?" and "Have I ever committed a major undetected crime?" Passed. The next section started asking questions regarding drugs. "have I ever used drugs?" "have I ever abused prescription drugs." I failed the second part. I did NOT lie during any portion of my polygraph. We talked about what was on my mind and he gave me the opportunity to take the second section again. Again, I did not lie, and I did not pass. He tried to get me to tell him "the truth," but there was nothing to tell. I had gotten so far in this process, spent months on it, knew it came down to this, and just could not get my body to cooperate. It was heartbreaking. I felt so VIOLATED. I did not lie, and I did not pass. I felt like I had been robbed. It was awful. I felt so bad I could not sleep that night. I emailed the manager and let them know that I did not know why I didn't pass as I did not lie. let me know that they would let me rectify the issue if they could.Later in the week, on 3/28, they got back to me and let me know I could retake the second section of the polygraph. On 4/5 I went in for the second section again. I PASSED the second section. He believed I was not lying about drugs! Yea! They sent me for my fingerprinting and drug test. She let me know it would be 3-4 weeks before they would get back to me.A few days later she let me know that they were unable to offer me the job. When I inquired as to why, she indicated that they could not be specific, but that it was based on things that were divulged during the polygraph. Perfect! Time wasted for nothing! Guts spilled out for nothing! In hindsight, it was probably not the best fit for me anyway, but that does not mean that I was not violated by the experience. WHY would any employer want to have knowledge of any of the stuff that was asked in that polygraph? Why would they want to open themselves up to that liability? WHY would they rely on something that is unreliable - I did not lie, and I did not pass. It was a horrible, horrible experience. I would NEVER apply to a job that requires a polygraph.The amount of time it takes to turn the government wheel, and the fact that there was at least one person that did not pass the polygraph it is just ridiculous. Our tax dollars are being spent on something that is unreliable and opens the DPS up to liability in other ways. They justify the need for the polygraph by stating that they don't want to hire people who are going to reflect badly on the DPS. Well how about your hiring practice reflects badly on the DPS? How about your hiring process should be ILLEGAL?

Interview Question – I did not feel there were any difficult or unexpected questions. Just normal questions regarding HR practices.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Arizona Department of Public Safety? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Arizona Department of Public Safety Human Resources Analyst interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Arizona Department of Public Safety employees and interview candidates.