Arizona Department of Public Safety

Updated Apr 5, 2015
Updated Apr 5, 2015

Interviews for Top Jobs at Arizona Department of Public Safety

Associate Criminalist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Arizona Department of Public Safety (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

The first part of the interview involves a written exam. The exam is multiple choice and you are given 2 hours to complete it. The exam is VERY EASY and the top 35 scoring candidates are invited to participate in a Qualifications Appraisal Board (QAB). Out of country/state candidates get first priority and may interview the following day while in-state candidates may interview a week or two later.

For the QAB portion you are placed in front of a panel of 3 interviewers. They are criminalists themselves in a variety of fields and a stack of note cards with questions are placed to your side faced down. They proceed to explain to you how the interview process will go. One of the interviewers reads a note card as you follow along with your note card and you do all of the talking to respond to each question.

It is an intimidating process (probably on purpose) since the interviewers do not provide any feedback and remain silent. You are allowed to go back to any of the note cards at the end to include additional information you may have forgotten to mention earlier. You are giving a score out of 100% by mail as well as your ranking based on the results of both the written exam and QAB.

After this, another criminalist provides you with a tour of facilities and answers any questions you may have. They also introduce you to the different supervisors of each unit and give you time to ask them questions. Overall, this part of the process also took about 2 hours from start to finish.

Approximately 6 weeks later, I received a letter with my scores and my ranking. At this time, I decided to get in touch with an HR representative and find out if there was a good chance of me proceeding to the next step and what the next step entailed. My ranking was very high and as such was told that I would most likely be invited to the next step which involved a polygraph exam, drug test and background check.

I was invited back for this about 3 months after my initial interview to complete the selection process. Finally, 4 and half months after the initial interview I was told that I had been selected and I was appointed to a position. I started not too long after that.

Interview Questions

• You notice that a Senior Criminalist in your unit receives less casework than you do. How do handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

You do not get to negotiate anything, it's a state government job with fixed salaries.

Applications Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Arizona Department of Public Safety (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2014.

Interview

Direct questions on how to help the IT Dept. First by a group panel, then by the individual hiring manager. Panel was a series of set questions which could only be read to the applicant once.
    Long background check prior to actual offer.

Officer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Arizona Department of Public Safety (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Starts with the application. Then, you move on to a written exam that consists of basic knowledge and common sense questions. If you pass that, you then take the physical test which is fairly easy if you are in good shape. The next step is the polygraph. If you make it this far, you move on to the full blown background investigation which is followed by a psychological evaluation and then you might get the job.

Negotiation

None. It's a government position.

Human Resources Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Arizona Department of Public Safety (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2013.

Interview

WRITTEN app on 2/1. 2 days later call asking for email address. I was invited to test for the position - the test 2/7. Email:
    Good evening:
    The testing process will consist of the following:
    Total Weight = 50%
    PART I – 50-item multiple choice examination
    1. Human Resources Management
    2. Classification and Compensation
    3. Recruitment and Selection
    4, Benefits
    5. Statistical Data Interpretation
    PART II - Scored written exercise involving analytical and written skills.
    Suggested Reading:
    Mathis, Robert L. and Jackson, John H., Human Resource Management
    Took test. Days later received call that I had passed the test portion and invited to QAB on 2/13. They ask everyone the same 7 questions and then rate you.
    On 2/15, they called I was #1 on the eligibility list! She had other candidates to talk to and would get back to me. On 2/22 got the following email:
    We are anxious to begin filling our vacancies and you should be hearing more from us within the next couple of weeks. We're working through an internal reorganization within our bureau and want to make sure we know where the pieces fit before we move forward!
    Limbo lasted until approximately 3/14 they called and told me they wanted me to come in for a polygraph. At this time, I asked them what they pay was. The sheet said $45-61,000 which is a huge range. Based on my 8 years of HR experience and a Masters degree, the pay was going to be about $53,700.On 3/22, I talked to the Manager and she stated I interviewed so much better than everyone else and she thought I would go far and that I could help them out a lot. It was very uplifting. After that, I filled out a 3 page questionnaire about everything you NEVER wanted to tell anyone else in your life. If you do not want to spill your guts to another human being about personal stuff, then don't even apply to the job.
    The papers you fill out ask you all about crime, sex, drugs etc. Then you go in to see the examiner. He takes your paper and then proceeds to go over practically every question on the paper. He gets clarification on them where he needs it. This is the pre-test interview. Anything you divulge at this time is just free information. All of the questions on the sheets will not be asked on the polygraph.Then there is the polygraph section. It IS recorded. Questions: "Did I intentionally or knowingly falsify any information on my application?" and "Have I ever committed a major undetected crime?" Passed. The next section started asking questions regarding drugs. "have I ever used drugs?" "have I ever abused prescription drugs." I failed the second part. I did NOT lie during any portion of my polygraph. We talked about what was on my mind and he gave me the opportunity to take the second section again. Again, I did not lie, and I did not pass. He tried to get me to tell him "the truth," but there was nothing to tell. I had gotten so far in this process, spent months on it, knew it came down to this, and just could not get my body to cooperate. It was heartbreaking. I felt so VIOLATED. I did not lie, and I did not pass. I felt like I had been robbed. It was awful. I felt so bad I could not sleep that night. I emailed the manager and let them know that I did not know why I didn't pass as I did not lie. let me know that they would let me rectify the issue if they could.Later in the week, on 3/28, they got back to me and let me know I could retake the second section of the polygraph. On 4/5 I went in for the second section again. I PASSED the second section. He believed I was not lying about drugs! Yea! They sent me for my fingerprinting and drug test. She let me know it would be 3-4 weeks before they would get back to me.A few days later she let me know that they were unable to offer me the job. When I inquired as to why, she indicated that they could not be specific, but that it was based on things that were divulged during the polygraph. Perfect! Time wasted for nothing! Guts spilled out for nothing! In hindsight, it was probably not the best fit for me anyway, but that does not mean that I was not violated by the experience. WHY would any employer want to have knowledge of any of the stuff that was asked in that polygraph? Why would they want to open themselves up to that liability? WHY would they rely on something that is unreliable - I did not lie, and I did not pass. It was a horrible, horrible experience. I would NEVER apply to a job that requires a polygraph.The amount of time it takes to turn the government wheel, and the fact that there was at least one person that did not pass the polygraph it is just ridiculous. Our tax dollars are being spent on something that is unreliable and opens the DPS up to liability in other ways. They justify the need for the polygraph by stating that they don't want to hire people who are going to reflect badly on the DPS. Well how about your hiring practice reflects badly on the DPS? How about your hiring process should be ILLEGAL?

Interview Questions

• I did not feel there were any difficult or unexpected questions. Just normal questions regarding HR practices.   Answer Question