Arlington Public Schools

Updated Jun 22, 2014

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Arlington Public Schools

Teacher Interview

attended large annual hiring fair in February, created online application, applied directly for position at desired school site, received phone call to set up in-person interview at school. A few days later, had in-person interview with principal, assistant principal, and department chair. Follow-up phone call a few days later offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked overall pretty standard questions for a classroom teacher position in this interview. These questions were to the effect of, "How do you plan a curricular unit?" "What do you do if a student doesn't understand a topic you teach them?" Questions were read from a list to ensure all candidates were fairly asked the same questions.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Arlington Public Schools in May 2014.

I applied online, and a few days later, I was called in for an interview. All interview questions were printed on paper, and the hiring team consisted of an administrator and two others within the department. They were very respectful of my time, and made their decision quickly. The questions consisted of standard teacher fare-explain classroom management, talk about a difficult situation with a colleague/with a parent/with a student, etc.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, but the teacher salary scale is very competitive.

Substitute Teacher Interview

The hiring process is done through an online application.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Arlington Public Schools in August 2011.

I was observed by my prospective principal during summer school. We later met and took a tour of the school. There was no formal interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you implement an IB minded classroom while still catering to differentiation?   Answer Question

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Arlington Public Schools.

There was a lengthy Interview with one individual followed by background check and fingerprinting because it's part of the school system. The interview was detailed and challenging, but the interviewer was extremely professional, fair, and appropriate. She knew her stuff and did not hesitate to press for more detailed replies to all questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult types of questions were about describing your teaching techniques in detail.   Answer Question
    Set salary.

Maintenance Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Arlington Public Schools in June 2009.

Very relaxing, the hiring manager was very friendly. The people, office, and work culture were very lax and frienly.

There was no negotiation phase. I would basically advise others considering an offer to take the offer and not attempt to negotiate. It's too good of a job as seasonal work to not take.

Worked for Arlington Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!