Arlington Public Schools Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2015

2.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at Arlington Public Schools

Elementary Teacher Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Arlington Public Schools.

Interview

Submitted my resume and principal contacted me two days later for an interview. I interviewed with the principal two days later and was asked to come back the same afternoon to interview with the rest of the team including some teachers and the assistant principal.

Interview Questions

• There was an initial interview with the principal followed by another interview the same day with the assistant principal and some teachers on the interview team.   Answer Question

Elementary Teacher Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Arlington Public Schools.

Interview

I was interviewed by Principal at an individual school after sending my cover letter and resume to the school directly. The next day I was called back to interview with an Assistant Principal and a team of teachers.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were typical teacher interview questions, but "Describe a time when you failed and explain what you should have done differently." was one that sticks out in my memory.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Arlington Public Schools.

Interview

Saw the application online. Applied. Received a call to go to the Arlington Ed Center (which is the headquarters for Arlington Public Schools). Did the background check there and was finger printed. The background check is required. This is a background check for the DMV area (DC, Maryland, and Virginia). In addition, a drug test may be required.

Teacher Interview

Interview

attended large annual hiring fair in February, created online application, applied directly for position at desired school site, received phone call to set up in-person interview at school. A few days later, had in-person interview with principal, assistant principal, and department chair. Follow-up phone call a few days later offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• I was asked overall pretty standard questions for a classroom teacher position in this interview. These questions were to the effect of, "How do you plan a curricular unit?" "What do you do if a student doesn't understand a topic you teach them?" Questions were read from a list to ensure all candidates were fairly asked the same questions.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Arlington Public Schools in May 2014.

Interview

I applied online, and a few days later, I was called in for an interview. All interview questions were printed on paper, and the hiring team consisted of an administrator and two others within the department. They were very respectful of my time, and made their decision quickly. The questions consisted of standard teacher fare-explain classroom management, talk about a difficult situation with a colleague/with a parent/with a student, etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, but the teacher salary scale is very competitive.

Substitute Teacher Interview

Interview

The hiring process is done through an online application.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Arlington Public Schools (Arlington, VA) in February 2013.

Interview

I interviews in a small panel of three people. They each took turns asking questions and would jot down notes as they saw fit. Many of the questions were skill and situational based questions. They also gave a chance for me to ask any questions or concerns, if I had any.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation in which you demonstrated initiative.   1 Answer

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Arlington Public Schools (Arlington, VA).

Interview

There was a lengthy Interview with one individual followed by background check and fingerprinting because it's part of the school system. The interview was detailed and challenging, but the interviewer was extremely professional, fair, and appropriate. She knew her stuff and did not hesitate to press for more detailed replies to all questions.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult types of questions were about describing your teaching techniques in detail.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Set salary.

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Arlington Public Schools (Arlington, VA) in August 2011.

Interview

I was observed by my prospective principal during summer school. We later met and took a tour of the school. There was no formal interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement an IB minded classroom while still catering to differentiation?   Answer Question

Maintenance Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Arlington Public Schools (Arlington, VA) in June 2009.

Interview

Very relaxing, the hiring manager was very friendly. The people, office, and work culture were very lax and frienly.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. I would basically advise others considering an offer to take the offer and not attempt to negotiate. It's too good of a job as seasonal work to not take.