Arlington Public Schools

Updated Jan 30, 2015

2.6

Interviews for Top Jobs at Arlington Public Schools

Elementary Teacher Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Arlington Public Schools.

I was interviewed by Principal at an individual school after sending my cover letter and resume to the school directly. The next day I was called back to interview with an Assistant Principal and a team of teachers.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were typical teacher interview questions, but "Describe a time when you failed and explain what you should have done differently." was one that sticks out in my memory.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Teacher Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Arlington Public Schools.

Saw the application online. Applied. Received a call to go to the Arlington Ed Center (which is the headquarters for Arlington Public Schools). Did the background check there and was finger printed. The background check is required. This is a background check for the DMV area (DC, Maryland, and Virginia). In addition, a drug test may be required.

Teacher Interview

attended large annual hiring fair in February, created online application, applied directly for position at desired school site, received phone call to set up in-person interview at school. A few days later, had in-person interview with principal, assistant principal, and department chair. Follow-up phone call a few days later offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked overall pretty standard questions for a classroom teacher position in this interview. These questions were to the effect of, "How do you plan a curricular unit?" "What do you do if a student doesn't understand a topic you teach them?" Questions were read from a list to ensure all candidates were fairly asked the same questions.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Arlington Public Schools in May 2014.

I applied online, and a few days later, I was called in for an interview. All interview questions were printed on paper, and the hiring team consisted of an administrator and two others within the department. They were very respectful of my time, and made their decision quickly. The questions consisted of standard teacher fare-explain classroom management, talk about a difficult situation with a colleague/with a parent/with a student, etc.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, but the teacher salary scale is very competitive.

Substitute Teacher Interview

The hiring process is done through an online application.

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Arlington Public Schools.

There was a lengthy Interview with one individual followed by background check and fingerprinting because it's part of the school system. The interview was detailed and challenging, but the interviewer was extremely professional, fair, and appropriate. She knew her stuff and did not hesitate to press for more detailed replies to all questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult types of questions were about describing your teaching techniques in detail.   Answer Question
    Set salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Arlington Public Schools in August 2011.

I was observed by my prospective principal during summer school. We later met and took a tour of the school. There was no formal interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you implement an IB minded classroom while still catering to differentiation?   Answer Question

Maintenance Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Arlington Public Schools in June 2009.

Very relaxing, the hiring manager was very friendly. The people, office, and work culture were very lax and frienly.

There was no negotiation phase. I would basically advise others considering an offer to take the offer and not attempt to negotiate. It's too good of a job as seasonal work to not take.