Armstrong Garden Centers

4 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Armstrong Garden Centers.

Interview Details – great

Negotiation Details – We would love to have your experience

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Armstrong Garden Centers in February 2009.

Interview Details – Hired as a sales associate and then promoted within a year. Sales associate position required taking a 10 page test that had questions about plant care, fertilizers, pesticides and the differences between cool season and warm season grasses.

Interview Question – Cool season grasses, have you had retail experiences, what type, kinds.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they offered a flat salary-lowballed. They came up a bit because I knew what others were making.

Very Easy Interview

Manager Trainee Interview

Manager Trainee

I applied in-person and interviewed at Armstrong Garden Centers.

Interview Details – Fill out online application. Go to store and fill out 10 pages of horticulturally related questions. Wait until you hear back from corporate. Go interview with head of H/R- typical questions asked. But never was the 10 pager filled out at the garden center discussed. Then you get low-balled on pay and find out that the places you requested to work at are not the place you're going to be working at. Like to spend two hours in traffic? Good because don't be surprised if they send you 50 miles from your requested work location.
Training: They give you two very large binders: one with h/r policies, ESOP, etc, and one for garden training. The h/r binder is out dated and has many mistakes-it was poorly slapped together some time ago. The garden training consists of watching a 5 minute video about watering plants.
They have made an effort to hire a trainer-but she doesn't know anything about plants-she's mainly an h/r affiliate and relays company expectations-50 hour work week, lots of responsibility, and ingrains sell, sell, sell at all costs. Your salary is $35K. You'll be traveling to san juan capistrano for training even though the corporate office is in Glendora. So If you work in Santa Monica-it's a long haul. Be prepared for constant employee turnover if you want to be in management.

Interview Question – The 10 pager at the garden center was the only time horticultural knowledge was required. It was never critiqued or discussed. Don't let this intimate date you because most managers couldn't answer these questions. Brush up on NPK, warm season and cool season grasses and a few herbicides and pesticides.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered less than the advertised rate even though my qualifications were superior.
They promised additional compensation that never came.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Retail Salesperson Interview

Retail Salesperson
San Juan Capistrano, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Armstrong Garden Centers in August 2012.

Interview Details – In response to the 'help wanted' poster at the entrance to one of their retail centers , I requested an application --12 pages in length and requiring extreme details. Okay , all for a $10.50/ job?.......it's a job. Then they required a 12 page on the spot test with multiple choice, fill-in the blank, and short essay questions , when I hand delivered my application. The
interview was less than 30 seconds........didn't invite me into an office, didn't look at my application or resume, just asked one question--"Do you have retail experience?"
I have extensive experience and that was it. 8 weeks later , no response. After many inquiries to Human Resources, I was finally notified to reapply on-line - start again- wow

Interview Question – It was my question to the store manager--what are the follow -up procedures for an employee candidate?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Armstrong Garden Centers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Armstrong Garden Centers interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Armstrong Garden Centers employees and interview candidates.