Armstrong World Industries

Updated Dec 2, 2014
Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.3

Engineer Interview

Standard first interview, asked the usual questions like strengths and weaknesses, willingness to tackle new challenges, explain a time when you failed, etc. Was a pretty standard process as well, first interview on campus (short), next longer interview with tour at the company facility.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Armstrong World Industries in July 2014.

Phone Interview led to an interview at Armstrong with 5 different people of separate fields (mostly 1 on 1's). Interview went great, people treated me very well. I never heard back from them after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • It was more of a conversation with the managers, and the HR interview was typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Armstrong World Industries.

Interviewed at least three times. Second and third interviews are with the whole team.

Management Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Armstrong World Industries.

I had two phone interviews before a half day in-person interview at the work location. In-person interviews were panel/group and then a 1:1 with the manager of the work site.

Interview Questions
    • I knew I'd wasted my time when the work location manager started his interview asking me why I would be interested in the job given all my years of experience and previously higher salary.

This is code for "why would I want to hire someone your age?." If the company does not want to hire older workers (I'm 46), reject them early in the process vs. insulting the candidate in the final round.

Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Burnie, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Burnie, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Armstrong World Industries in May 2013.

Applied online. Received a call and worked with a recruiter out of Boston. Went to Glen Burnie, MD for a round of interviews with both Armstrong and JJ Haines [their main East Coast . Great people, interview went well, but never received even a call/email/thank-you for driving up there to interview. Left multiple calls with the Senior HR who I interviewed with.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about your sales background and a time you failed.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

very common behavioral questions Applied online. Was notified by call for first round interview. All behavioral questions, not a single one was technical. Asked questions such as "name a time when you failed", or "name a time when you had to work on a team and something bad happened?". The interviewer basically went through a set number of questions.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Armstrong World Industries.

Just had a phone interview with one of the senior engineer staff

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. They just asked basic questions about my resume and other general questions asked during an interview   Answer Question

Field Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Armstrong World Industries in May 2012.

Really laid back and not to much pressure is put on the potential hire.

Interview Questions
    Took the first offer sheet because it was fair.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Armstrong World Industries in January 2012.

I wouldn't waste my time on a company that doesn't respect potential candidates enough to notify them of their decision. After 2 phone interviews, 2 site visits, and a follow up call with add'l questions, I've haven't heard anything but I noticed the position has been reposted.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Armstrong World Industries in July 2010.

After filling out the very involved online application in mid-July I received a phone call from an HR person. Was asked a series of questions concerning salary requirements and references and set up an interview time. First interview (late July) was actually 5 individual meetings. First with the HR contact in the main building (corporate headquarters – very sterile and unwelcoming in my opinion). This was followed by 3 separate meetings with individual managers in another building. The last meeting was with a second HR representative. The interviews with HR seemed very methodical and disengaged. The interviews with the managers were impromptu but the people were very nice and knowledgable. I left the interview confident I would get a call back. Which didn't happen until almost a month later when a new HR person called me (the original had left for another company) to set up a 2nd interview in late August. I met with two additional managers (in separate buildings) and was informed that HR would be in touch. 20 days later I found out there was a split decision between myself and another candidate who got the job offer. But HR never contacted me. I was told by one of the manager's I interviewed with. I had my suspicions about large corporations being overly bureaucratic and slow to act but this process (over 2 months) was almost unbearable. And the fact that 3 product managers involved with this position reside in entirely different buildings doesn't seem to foster much of a collaborative environment.