Armstrong World Industries

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Armstrong World Industries.

Interview Details – Interviewed at least three times. Second and third interviews are with the whole team.

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Territory Sales Manager
Glen Burnie, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Armstrong World Industries in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received a call and worked with a recruiter out of Boston. Went to Glen Burnie, MD for a round of interviews with both Armstrong and JJ Haines [their main East Coast . Great people, interview went well, but never received even a call/email/thank-you for driving up there to interview. Left multiple calls with the Senior HR who I interviewed with.

Interview Question – Talk about your sales background and a time you failed.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

IT Architect Interview

IT Architect
Lancaster, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Armstrong World Industries in March 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR then half day 1:1 with 3 IT managers for 45 min each. Last meeting was with the Infrastructure Director who explained how important my job will be but didn't ask me questions. He just talked for our entire session then said I was perfect for the job. he was odd but I liked the other managers.

Interview Question – Each manager asked me questions on how I react and handle gossip, stress, and work relationships.. No one asked me any challenging, technical questions. They wanted to know a lot about my personal life. I kept steering the discussion back to my diverse technical experience.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered $15k below what they posted although each interviewer stated I was exactly what they needed. I stuck to the same salary I stated up front that I required. They countered $5k under. I again stuck to my original salary. They agreed to my salary requirements and gave me a $5k sign-on bonus.

Management Position Interview

Management Position

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Armstrong World Industries.

Interview Details – I had two phone interviews before a half day in-person interview at the work location. In-person interviews were panel/group and then a 1:1 with the manager of the work site.

Interview Question – I knew I'd wasted my time when the work location manager started his interview asking me why I would be interested in the job given all my years of experience and previously higher salary.

This is code for "why would I want to hire someone your age?." If the company does not want to hire older workers (I'm 46), reject them early in the process vs. insulting the candidate in the final round.
  Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer

Interviewed at Armstrong World Industries

Interview Details – very common behavioral questions Applied online. Was notified by call for first round interview. All behavioral questions, not a single one was technical. Asked questions such as "name a time when you failed", or "name a time when you had to work on a team and something bad happened?". The interviewer basically went through a set number of questions.

Interview Question – nothing   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Armstrong World Industries.

Interview Details – Just had a phone interview with one of the senior engineer staff

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. They just asked basic questions about my resume and other general questions asked during an interview   Answer Question

Field Service Manager Interview

Field Service Manager
Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Armstrong World Industries in May 2012.

Interview Details – Really laid back and not to much pressure is put on the potential hire.

Interview Question – All the questions were pretty basic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Took the first offer sheet because it was fair.

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service
Norcross, GA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Armstrong World Industries in January 2012.

Interview Details – I wouldn't waste my time on a company that doesn't respect potential candidates enough to notify them of their decision. After 2 phone interviews, 2 site visits, and a follow up call with add'l questions, I've haven't heard anything but I noticed the position has been reposted.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Lancaster, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Armstrong World Industries in July 2010.

Interview Details – After filling out the very involved online application in mid-July I received a phone call from an HR person. Was asked a series of questions concerning salary requirements and references and set up an interview time. First interview (late July) was actually 5 individual meetings. First with the HR contact in the main building (corporate headquarters – very sterile and unwelcoming in my opinion). This was followed by 3 separate meetings with individual managers in another building. The last meeting was with a second HR representative. The interviews with HR seemed very methodical and disengaged. The interviews with the managers were impromptu but the people were very nice and knowledgable. I left the interview confident I would get a call back. Which didn't happen until almost a month later when a new HR person called me (the original had left for another company) to set up a 2nd interview in late August. I met with two additional managers (in separate buildings) and was informed that HR would be in touch. 20 days later I found out there was a split decision between myself and another candidate who got the job offer. But HR never contacted me. I was told by one of the manager's I interviewed with. I had my suspicions about large corporations being overly bureaucratic and slow to act but this process (over 2 months) was almost unbearable. And the fact that 3 product managers involved with this position reside in entirely different buildings doesn't seem to foster much of a collaborative environment.

Interview Question – I don't recall any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Secretary Interview

Secretary

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Armstrong World Industries in January 2008.

Interview Details – Applied in person. Interview by group panel. Performed skills test. Was not as intimidating being interviewed by panel versus one on one (personal preference).

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Just didn't want to change jobs

Worked for Armstrong World Industries? Contribute to the Community!