Art.com Interview Questions & Reviews in Emeryville, CA

2.9

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Art.com in July 2014.

Very rushed process that was pretty intense, although the contract recruiter tried really hard to be personable and helpful. Regardless, not such a great vibe from some of the folks I interviewed with. They rushed to get me there, then scheduled several hours of interviews in a single day (my bad for agreeing!) with the big dogs at the end of a 9 hour day. I was mental jello and it was pure hubris on my part to think I could be anything but STUPID at the end of such a long and rigorous day. Lesson learned.
    However, LOTS of contradictory / negative / just plain weird comments (We’re a growth company! We’re very conservative! We’re looking for new ideas! How will you react when I tell you NO? This is NOT a strategic role! I don’t want to bash the company, but….) and some uncomfortable smirks from some folks, Also a VP that shared what is undoubtedly confidential (and probably false) info about a former c-suite emp (!!!), and many odd comments that I believe were supposed to level set expectations regarding the company, culture, growth potential and maybe salary. Be sure and check the reviews here before diving in. Also, just as an FYI, Emeryville is sort of like San Fauxcisco.

Interview Questions
    • How will you react when I tell you we can't / won't / aren't going to do things you recommend? Huh?   View Answer

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Art.com in March 2013.

Phone interview plus two in-person interviews. The first in-person interview took about 2 hours. I met with two middle managers. Afterward, they requested several work samples, including a week's worth of content planning. The second interview seemed somewhat pointless. It lasted about an hour. I met with an HR person and one of the previous interviewers. We did not discuss the work samples I had submitted. The process seemed unnecessarily long for an associate-level position.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions were mostly standard issue. Managing KPI tracking is a big deal, so make sure you can demonstrate some basic quantitative skills, in addition to a solid understanding of content strategy.   Answer Question
    Make sure to negotiate salary, though it will add another week or two of back-and-forth before signing a contract. I requested $8k above the offer and got $5k.

Online Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

One phone interview than an in person where met with the current marketing associate and the director of international sales. Seemed like a pretty demoralized officeplace, kept getting told job visibility was low and work was tedious.

Marketing/Creative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Art.com.

I applied for a position at Art.com after finding the role on LinkedIn. Within a week of applying, I had a call from the HR team for initial screening. Several days later, the rep called back to schedule an in-person interview for me with 2 team members, one of which I would potentially report to. That went great, and I came back 2 days later to meet more of the team. After that, I took a skills test, and could reach out with specific questions about the role when I had them. Not long after, I was presented with an offer and after a round of negotiation, I accepted.

The people I met with were what really won me over. For me, it's about finding talented people who I want to work with and learn from (ideally, for years to come). Initially, some of the Glassdoor reviews scared me... but I'm glad I gave it a chance because once I got in there, it felt right. I clicked with everyone quite organically, and this just seemed like a perfect fit. From my understanding, this company is building a real "brand" around the basic online store that it's been in the past, and it seems like there are a lot of opportunities for sharp creatives/marketers with knowledge of branding, content, and collaboration.

Interview Questions
    • I can't recall a specific one as it was a while back, but I was asked to explain how I'd handle prioritizing workload -- when/how I would reach out to my manager for help, etc. Basic "How well do you juggle?" questions that most creatives or marketers with heavy workloads could answer well.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Art.com.

Clear communication and well organized. Got to speak to different people in different roles. Good information on the company and its promise and track record so far. In person interview lasted for a few hours involving interaction with different levels in the organization. Good experience overall.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Art.com.

I applied online with my resume/portfolio and landed a phone interview after about 2 weeks. The HR representative I talked to was very nice, and although she asked the typical phone interview questions we still had a very pleasant conversation.
    After a few days, the HR representative called back and we scheduled a time that same week where I could come into the office and have three 1-on-1 interviews. The round of interviews lasted about three hours, and I met with the supervisor (of the position I was applying for), a fellow web developer, and Art.com's creative director.
    I was given a coding quiz to complete within 24 hours, and about a week after they had reviewed my work, I met with the Senior Manager of HR to discuss the position and the company in more detail. I was offered the position a week later.

The entire process from initial phone interview to start date took about 5 weeks. After getting past the initial, somewhat corporate-y feel, I could tell that everybody really enjoyed their jobs and the company, and were more easygoing than expected.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you think the web industry is headed?   Answer Question
    • What do you think will be the next big trend in web design/development?   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Art.com in May 2009.

Three round interview process with background check. Standard stuff.

Interview Questions
    Two round of back and forth with bonus offers.

Affiliate Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Art.com in August 2010.

Art.com strings folks along for as long as possible to have an interview with them. Once there you are subjected to over four hours straight of interviews. Once person right after the other. With all the same questions being asked over and over again, it's quite tiring. That's not the bad part, though. The bad part is that once you are interviewed the never bother to call you back or follow-up. That would be fine, but after leading me on for three months for an interview, then having that long process, they could at least be courteous enough to say no. If this were isolated to me, I would be fine, but this has happend to three other people I know.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions. The folks there seem to have all read the same article on eHow.com. The questions for along the lines of "Where do you see yourself in five years?"   Answer Question

Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Art.com in April 2011.

Call to interview after applying was fast; phone interview and in-person interview within a week; said they would contact me again within a week, but didn't. Similar experience to what other reviewers have said about their lengthy follow-up, so not too surprised.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Art.com in February 2010.

Good interview session, but very disorganized with timing.

as expected.

Worked for Art.com? Contribute to the Community!