Art.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Director Interview

Director
Emeryville, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Art.com in July 2014.

Interview Details – Very rushed process that was pretty intense, although the contract recruiter tried really hard to be personable and helpful. Regardless, not such a great vibe from some of the folks I interviewed with. They rushed to get me there, then scheduled several hours of interviews in a single day (my bad for agreeing!) with the big dogs at the end of a 9 hour day. I was mental jello and it was pure hubris on my part to think I could be anything but STUPID at the end of such a long and rigorous day. Lesson learned.
However, LOTS of contradictory / negative / just plain weird comments (We’re a growth company! We’re very conservative! We’re looking for new ideas! How will you react when I tell you NO? This is NOT a strategic role! I don’t want to bash the company, but….) and some uncomfortable smirks from some folks, Also a VP that shared what is undoubtedly confidential (and probably false) info about a former c-suite emp (!!!), and many odd comments that I believe were supposed to level set expectations regarding the company, culture, growth potential and maybe salary. Be sure and check the reviews here before diving in. Also, just as an FYI, Emeryville is sort of like San Fauxcisco.

Interview Question – How will you react when I tell you we can't / won't / aren't going to do things you recommend? Huh?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Customer Sales and Service Interview

Customer Sales and Service
Raleigh, NC

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Art.com.

Interview Details – Applied through a staffing agency, and interviewed by female HR. Easiest interview I've ever been to. Hiring process very straightforward. Very high turnover rate because quality candidates not attracted to position due to low pay.

Interview Question – What type of experience do you have?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Marketing Associate Interview

Marketing Associate
Emeryville, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Art.com in March 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview plus two in-person interviews. The first in-person interview took about 2 hours. I met with two middle managers. Afterward, they requested several work samples, including a week's worth of content planning. The second interview seemed somewhat pointless. It lasted about an hour. I met with an HR person and one of the previous interviewers. We did not discuss the work samples I had submitted. The process seemed unnecessarily long for an associate-level position.

Interview Question – Interview questions were mostly standard issue. Managing KPI tracking is a big deal, so make sure you can demonstrate some basic quantitative skills, in addition to a solid understanding of content strategy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Make sure to negotiate salary, though it will add another week or two of back-and-forth before signing a contract. I requested $8k above the offer and got $5k.

Online Marketing Associate Interview

Online Marketing Associate

Interviewed at Art.com

Interview Details – One phone interview than an in person where met with the current marketing associate and the director of international sales. Seemed like a pretty demoralized officeplace, kept getting told job visibility was low and work was tedious.

Interview Question – None really, just behavioral.   Answer Question

Marketing/Creative Interview

Marketing/Creative
Emeryville, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Art.com.

Interview Details – I applied for a position at Art.com after finding the role on LinkedIn. Within a week of applying, I had a call from the HR team for initial screening. Several days later, the rep called back to schedule an in-person interview for me with 2 team members, one of which I would potentially report to. That went great, and I came back 2 days later to meet more of the team. After that, I took a skills test, and could reach out with specific questions about the role when I had them. Not long after, I was presented with an offer and after a round of negotiation, I accepted.

The people I met with were what really won me over. For me, it's about finding talented people who I want to work with and learn from (ideally, for years to come). Initially, some of the Glassdoor reviews scared me... but I'm glad I gave it a chance because once I got in there, it felt right. I clicked with everyone quite organically, and this just seemed like a perfect fit. From my understanding, this company is building a real "brand" around the basic online store that it's been in the past, and it seems like there are a lot of opportunities for sharp creatives/marketers with knowledge of branding, content, and collaboration.

Interview Question – I can't recall a specific one as it was a while back, but I was asked to explain how I'd handle prioritizing workload -- when/how I would reach out to my manager for help, etc. Basic "How well do you juggle?" questions that most creatives or marketers with heavy workloads could answer well.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
Emeryville, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Art.com.

Interview Details – Clear communication and well organized. Got to speak to different people in different roles. Good information on the company and its promise and track record so far. In person interview lasted for a few hours involving interaction with different levels in the organization. Good experience overall.

Interview Question – Nothing that I was not prepared for.   Answer Question

Interaction Designer Interview

Interaction Designer

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Art.com.

Interview Details – The interview was a little rushed. Didn't feel like enough could be spoken of in 30 min conversations. They provide a design test after the interview.

Interview Question – Be very familiar with their product pages and prepared to discuss.   Answer Question

Search Marketing Product Manager Interview

Search Marketing Product Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Art.com in September 2012.

Interview Details – Poor screening process. Was contacted about a Product Marketing position for an SEM product which was presented to me as an SEM analyst position. The initial phone interview was challenging, mostly because the interviewer presented questions with a condescending tone, which was troubling, versus it being a candid discussion about interests, background and goals.

Interview Question – "Explain how your experience even applies to this position". Not terribly difficult, but off-putting considering I was unknowingly applying for a position completely outside my realm of knowledge and experience. .   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
Emeryville, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Art.com.

Interview Details – I applied online with my resume/portfolio and landed a phone interview after about 2 weeks. The HR representative I talked to was very nice, and although she asked the typical phone interview questions we still had a very pleasant conversation.
After a few days, the HR representative called back and we scheduled a time that same week where I could come into the office and have three 1-on-1 interviews. The round of interviews lasted about three hours, and I met with the supervisor (of the position I was applying for), a fellow web developer, and Art.com's creative director.
I was given a coding quiz to complete within 24 hours, and about a week after they had reviewed my work, I met with the Senior Manager of HR to discuss the position and the company in more detail. I was offered the position a week later.

The entire process from initial phone interview to start date took about 5 weeks. After getting past the initial, somewhat corporate-y feel, I could tell that everybody really enjoyed their jobs and the company, and were more easygoing than expected.

Interview Questions

Network Engineer Interview

Network Engineer
Emeryville, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Art.com in May 2009.

Interview Details – Three round interview process with background check. Standard stuff.

Interview Question – Net work applications and APIs   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Two round of back and forth with bonus offers.

Worked for Art.com? Contribute to the Community!