Aruba Networks

Updated Dec 21, 2014
Updated Dec 21, 2014

3.3

UI Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Aruba Networks in December 2014.

I am a recent BS graduate in computer science and I applied to a front end role on Indeed via Venture Staffing and got a reply from an Aruba recruiter after 2 days. He set up a 30 min phone interview with an engineer. The first 5 mins or so was about my resume and background. The next 10 mins was about the role and the team. The rest was technical questions and I was asked the following:

1) Javascript concepts: closure, function context, 'this' keyword
    2) What happens when you type in a URL on the browser? I told him how DNS works but he was expecting a reply around HTTP protocol.
    3) On linux how do you access the last 10 lines of a file? I said I would use the 'vim' command to view the file and do 'shift+G' or similar command to go to the bottom of the file. He replied saying that works but was expecting an answer that has to do with 'tail' command.
    4) Python question: what are some in built functions? how would you override them?

After about a week, I was invited onsite for a series of 4 interviews (45 min each) with about 6 engineers and a manager. This was purely technical. Here's what I faced:

1st interview: I was shown a piece of javascript code and asked what the output would be. If you know the concept of "scope" you should be able to answer it. Then I was shown a piece of code written in google closure and was asked to at least walk through it explaining what's going on. It was my first time looking at a google closure code so I had hard time in the beginning but after a few hints here and there I was able to get the hang of it. They were trying to see if you understood the logic and are able to cope up.

2nd interview: This was pair programming with a front end engineer. You literally sit in front of a computer with him and do some programming in HTML5, CSS and Javascript. They use NodeJS specifically. If you know your basic CSS selectors and Javascript concepts you should be fine. It was more like a discussion and not an interview. I could sense that the interviewer was testing my thought process.

3rd interview: This was with 2 backend engineers testing your skills in data structures. I was asked to write pseudocode to implement the Mind scrapper game. They give you enough information for you to brain storm and write the code. I used two dimensional arrays to do this. Not sure if it is right or not.

4th interview: This was again with 2 engineers testing your OOP skills. I was asked to write pseudocode to implement a software/system for police to track their vehicles in terms of maintenance (oil life, engine life, brakes etc). It is hard to explain but they give you enough information. Then, they make the problem trickier by saying what if the vehicles also include boats/ships and horses? Again, they were looking for your approach and how you would implement this system. The more in depth you dive into the problem, the better.

It was quite a stressful 3 hours but I was glad I was done with it. After a day, I heard back from the recruiter saying "the team unfortunately didn't think you were a good fit. Sorry this did not work out." and that they would "continue to look for someone who would be a better fit". I nicely thanked him and Aruba for considering me.
    End of story.

On the whole, I felt the expectations were quite high especially for me as I am a recent college graduate. Oh well, life moves on.

Interview Questions
    • Javascript concepts: closure, function context, 'this' keyword   Answer Question
    • What happens when you type in a URL on the browser? I told him how DNS works but he was expecting a reply around HTTP protocol.   Answer Question
    • Python question: what are some in built functions? how would you override them?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Aruba Networks in October 2014.

The hiring process was fairly fast - I gave them my resume at a job fair, and the next week I was in contact via email with their HR department to schedule a phone interview for later in the week. After the phone interview, it took about a week until I was contacted again with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly questions about networking protocol internals, such as how DNS works or what ARP is   Answer Question

Human Resources Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Aruba Networks.

Scheduling of interviews wasn't very organized. The hiring managers would call me at random times, or not call at all. There wasn't too many difficult questions, most of those I talked with just asked about my work experience and rambled about the company. Had 3-4 phone interviews spanning across a 3 week period and at the end was told there wasn't enough in the budget for the intern role.

Technical Marketing Engineer-Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Aruba Networks in April 2014.

I got a email from HR for interview. I had first round of interview with Hiring manager. It was detailed interview testing Wireless concepts with some Modulation question. Interview lasted for 45 min.
    Then was short listed for next rounds of interviews.
    2)Team member : General Discussion
    3) Engineer -Engineering : Interview was related to networking concepts.
    4) Director : Interview was mainly on networking concepts in detail.

Interview Questions
    Got a chance to negotiate but not much.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Aruba Networks.

Skype Interview

Interview Questions
    • Some of the questions:
      - How does list comprehension work behind the scenes, decorators, lambdas
      - What is restful API and what is the difference between REST and HTTP
      - Explain HTTP to a lay person and then what happens in those

Answer Question

Wireless Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Aruba Networks in March 2014.

Applied Online on company website and contacted recruiter on Linkedin dont know which panned out. Was scheduled to have phone interview with the Hiring manager. Nice to talk but more on expectations from New Grad. Never heard back from them even followed up with HR but no response.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on Mesh networking, depth knowledge of wifi and networking both   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Generally very nice people. Some technical questions but not much. The process is really fast.

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Aruba Networks.

Looking back it went to fast. I should have suspected how desperate they were and taken my time to decide on accepting the offer

Interview Questions
    • They were not able to respond to why they did not have more women in leadership positions.   Answer Question
    Very little flexibility on their part.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Aruba Networks in November 2013.

Testing domain knowledge, C programming and algorithms. Lot of C programs.

Network Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Aruba Networks in October 2013.

Did 4 phone interviews, then I was flown out to Sunnyvale for 6 more interviews. A lot of diagrams drawn on the board, questions regarding switches, and routers and packets. They are very into Juniper more so than Cisco. Was very disappointed by two of the interviewers, self-absorbed attitude.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly about Juniper. I have used Cisco most of my life.   Answer Question

Not a Team player environment, felt it was more of a ME, ME, ME environment. Very Self centered attitude.