Aruba Networks Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.2

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Aruba Networks.

Interview

I applied through the career fair on campus. They contacted me after two weeks. First, the HR asked me if I could do a phone interview and then I was asked to drive to their site if possible. After I agreed, they decided to do a phone interview again. Before everything starts, the schedule already made me annoyed. Finally, my interview process began from a phone. And we made an appointment time, i wait there for a whole day, nobody called until I emailed them about this staff. What a terrible experience!

Interview Questions

• Questions are not tough. Most of them are about my resume. Since I have a network background, I was asked about ssl, 7-layer OSI model, protocols including TCP, HTTP. What is the difference between http and https? Which port do they use? What is json? GET and Post, can they bookmark? mac address, primary key and foreign key in database? database structures? And it comes two interesting questions, bottles,pills and scaler question and the other one is a probablity question. Quite easy.   Answer Question

UI Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Aruba Networks in December 2014.

Interview

I am a recent BS graduate in computer science and I applied to a front end role on Indeed via Venture Staffing and got a reply from an Aruba recruiter after 2 days. He set up a 30 min phone interview with an engineer. The first 5 mins or so was about my resume and background. The next 10 mins was about the role and the team. The rest was technical questions and I was asked the following: 1) Javascript concepts: closure, function context, 'this' keyword 2) What happens when you type in a URL on the browser? I told him how DNS works but he was expecting a reply around HTTP protocol. 3) On linux how do you access the last 10 lines of a file? I said I would use the 'vim' command to view the file and do 'shift+G' or similar command to go to the bottom of the file. He replied saying that works but was expecting an answer that has to do with 'tail' command. 4) Python question: what are some in built functions? how would you override them? After about a week, I was invited onsite for a series of 4 interviews (45 min each) with about 6 engineers and a manager. This was purely technical. Here's what I faced: 1st interview: I was shown a piece of javascript code and asked what the output would be. If you know the concept of "scope" you should be able to answer it. Then I was shown a piece of code written in google closure and was asked to at least walk through it explaining what's going on. It was my first time looking at a google closure code so I had hard time in the beginning but after a few hints here and there I was able to get the hang of it. They were trying to see if you understood the logic and are able to cope up. 2nd interview: This was pair programming with a front end engineer. You literally sit in front of a computer with him and do some programming in HTML5, CSS and Javascript. They use NodeJS specifically. If you know your basic CSS selectors and Javascript concepts you should be fine. It was more like a discussion and not an interview. I could sense that the interviewer was testing my thought process. 3rd interview: This was with 2 backend engineers testing your skills in data structures. I was asked to write pseudocode to implement the Mind scrapper game. They give you enough information for you to brain storm and write the code. I used two dimensional arrays to do this. Not sure if it is right or not. 4th interview: This was again with 2 engineers testing your OOP skills. I was asked to write pseudocode to implement a software/system for police to track their vehicles in terms of maintenance (oil life, engine life, brakes etc). It is hard to explain but they give you enough information. Then, they make the problem trickier by saying what if the vehicles also include boats/ships and horses? Again, they were looking for your approach and how you would implement this system. The more in depth you dive into the problem, the better. It was quite a stressful 3 hours but I was glad I was done with it. After a day, I heard back from the recruiter saying "the team unfortunately didn't think you were a good fit. Sorry this did not work out." and that they would "continue to look for someone who would be a better fit". I nicely thanked him and Aruba for considering me. End of story. On the whole, I felt the expectations were quite high especially for me as I am a recent college graduate. Oh well, life moves on.

Interview Questions

• Javascript concepts: closure, function context, 'this' keyword   Answer Question
    • What happens when you type in a URL on the browser? I told him how DNS works but he was expecting a reply around HTTP protocol.   Answer Question
    • Python question: what are some in built functions? how would you override them?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Aruba Networks (San Diego, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was fairly fast - I gave them my resume at a job fair, and the next week I was in contact via email with their HR department to schedule a phone interview for later in the week. After the phone interview, it took about a week until I was contacted again with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions about networking protocol internals, such as how DNS works or what ARP is   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Aruba Networks.

Interview

Scheduling of interviews wasn't very organized. The hiring managers would call me at random times, or not call at all. There wasn't too many difficult questions, most of those I talked with just asked about my work experience and rambled about the company. Had 3-4 phone interviews spanning across a 3 week period and at the end was told there wasn't enough in the budget for the intern role.

Technical Marketing Engineer-Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Aruba Networks (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

I got a email from HR for interview. I had first round of interview with Hiring manager. It was detailed interview testing Wireless concepts with some Modulation question. Interview lasted for 45 min. Then was short listed for next rounds of interviews. 2)Team member : General Discussion 3) Engineer -Engineering : Interview was related to networking concepts. 4) Director : Interview was mainly on networking concepts in detail.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Got a chance to negotiate but not much.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Aruba Networks.

Interview

Skype Interview

Interview Questions

• Some of the questions: - How does list comprehension work behind the scenes, decorators, lambdas - What is restful API and what is the difference between REST and HTTP - Explain HTTP to a lay person and then what happens in those   Answer Question

Wireless Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Aruba Networks (San Diego, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied Online on company website and contacted recruiter on Linkedin dont know which panned out. Was scheduled to have phone interview with the Hiring manager. Nice to talk but more on expectations from New Grad. Never heard back from them even followed up with HR but no response.

Interview Questions

• Questions on Mesh networking, depth knowledge of wifi and networking both   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Interview

Generally very nice people. Some technical questions but not much. The process is really fast.

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Aruba Networks (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Looking back it went to fast. I should have suspected how desperate they were and taken my time to decide on accepting the offer

Interview Questions

• They were not able to respond to why they did not have more women in leadership positions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little flexibility on their part.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Aruba Networks (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Testing domain knowledge, C programming and algorithms. Lot of C programs.