Arup Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2014
Updated Aug 19, 2014

Graduate Structural Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Arup.

Phone interview was first. Pretty basic, just asked stuff on your resume.

In person interview was decent. Not stressful at all. They ask you to make a presentation on a certain topic, such as the technical work you have done, and why you are a good fit for Arup. The engineers are really nice about it.

Interview Questions
    • Not really difficult, it was laid back. Just be friendly with them.   Answer Question

Structural Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Arup.

Heard back through email after I submitted an electronic resume. Scheduled a phone interview at a mutually convenient time. Conversation was focused on specific coursework and lasted less than 15 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What type of dynamic simulations have you run using the finite element method?   View Answer

CAN Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Arup in January 2011.

Applied online followed by a Phone Interview.

Electrical Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Arup.

I had a really long hiring process. I First applied on their website in February for the summer internship but did not interview before May! I had to send a couple of emails and make calls since I did not hear back for such a long time. Out of a bit of desperation, also due to the fact that I was a bit enamored by the company, I emailed a couple of their offices from the email I got on their website in the US. After about a month, an HR representative got back to me and we were able to schedule an Interview

Interview Questions
    • I was asked on the spot to pick a building on my campus and tell how I would make it more energy efficient.   Answer Question

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Arup in April 2011.

Submitted my application through our online campus recruiting system. 30 minute technical test followed by interview with engineer and HR rep. ME test was to calculate the cooling load of a small structure.

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe this project to a non-technical person/audience?   Answer Question
    • What is your experience with sustainable design?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Arup in February 2012.

Interview was 25 min long. They asked me about my background and why would I like to intern with Arup. They were also interested in my research and previous working experience. No trick questions. They just wanted to get to know me and to see why I want to intern with them.

Graduate Structural Engineer Interview

a written test is given which involves questions about steel and concrete design; draw a moment diagram of a statically indeterminate structure and suggest a foundation and lateral system for an office building.

Interview Questions
    • make sure you know why you come up with such a design as they will ask you questions during interview   Answer Question

Geotechnical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Arup in October 2012.

After a phone screening, I was invited for an in-person interview with a senior engineer and an HR representative. We discussed my background and career objectives, as well as some academic projects I worked on. Some questions were very technical, thus I had to demonstrate both knowledge and analytical capabilities within a limited time frame.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me three qualities that make you a strong candidate for this position.   Answer Question

Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Arup in January 2009.

Test regarding ability in desired area of employment as well as a visualization / intelligence test. The test was the most intimidating part, after that it was an enjoyable discussion with an engineer and an HR representative. Due to down economy it was several months before an in office interview with a principal and senior engineer. A presentation was required and a discussion followed. Again, the conversation was relaxed and enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any specific questions that I remember being difficult, but the emphasis of the conversation seemed to be to see what level of thought I had given about how structural engineering impacts the other aspects of a project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Arup in October 2012.

On campus interviews set up with my university. My classmates where waiting around both before and after I went in for the interview. There was one HR representative and one resident engineer. The HR representative was the only one who spoke, even if I attempted to engage the engineer.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe the most technically interesting building in your city.   View Answer