Arup

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Graduate Mechanical Engineer
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Arup in April 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted my application through our online campus recruiting system. 30 minute technical test followed by interview with engineer and HR rep. ME test was to calculate the cooling load of a small structure.

Interview Questions

Geotechnical Engineer Interview

Geotechnical Engineer
New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Arup in October 2012.

Interview Details – After a phone screening, I was invited for an in-person interview with a senior engineer and an HR representative. We discussed my background and career objectives, as well as some academic projects I worked on. Some questions were very technical, thus I had to demonstrate both knowledge and analytical capabilities within a limited time frame.

Interview Question – Tell me three qualities that make you a strong candidate for this position.   Answer Question

Structural Engineer Interview

Structural Engineer
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Arup in January 2009.

Interview Details – Test regarding ability in desired area of employment as well as a visualization / intelligence test. The test was the most intimidating part, after that it was an enjoyable discussion with an engineer and an HR representative. Due to down economy it was several months before an in office interview with a principal and senior engineer. A presentation was required and a discussion followed. Again, the conversation was relaxed and enjoyable.

Interview Question – There weren't any specific questions that I remember being difficult, but the emphasis of the conversation seemed to be to see what level of thought I had given about how structural engineering impacts the other aspects of a project.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Intern Interview

Electrical Engineer Intern
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Arup in March 2012.

Interview Details – Only had one interview, and it was with 3 people (1 HR and 2 EEs). I had a great time, wasn't too intimidating, so I was able to keep my nerves under control.

Negotiation Details – As an intern you don't really negotiate. Have couple weeks to accept/decline the offer.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Arup in January 2012.

Interview Details – Interview includes technical and general questions about the applicant's research and/or working background.

Interview Question – Estimation of the average pressure on the foundation of a 12 storey building.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Arup in March 2011.

Interview Details – General Questions...

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – General Questions...

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Arup in May 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed with leader of the group and one of the members of the group I would be working with. They asked me typical interview questions of why I chose to study engineering, why I wanted to work there, etc.

There was nothing technical. The most technical questions they asked were if I was familiar with certain types of software.

The whole interview took maybe about an hour. The people and work culture seemed relatively young - a lot of people under 30.

Interview Question – What type of software relating to your field are you faimilar with?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate (I did ask). All engineering interns are offered the same exact pay.

Sustainability Consultant Interview

Sustainability Consultant
New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Arup in November 2010.

Interview Details – The initial info session wasn't very helpful, as it basically reiterated what was presented on the website. The initial interview consisted of two tests - a spatial reasoning test and a written test. It was followed with a group interview. The follow-up interview was one-on-one.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you worked in a group, and things did not go the way you wanted. What did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Worked for Arup? Contribute to the Community!