Ascend Performance Materials

Ascend Performance Materials Interview Questions

Updated Nov 7, 2014
Updated Nov 7, 2014

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ascend Performance Materials.

interview with a group of people
    number of rounds vary depending upon the position
    Hr and technical interview- on the same day
    Very friendly session
    Mostly Hr questions with may be one or two technical qns

Human Resources Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Ascend Performance Materials in October 2014.

Had an hour long phone interview with in house recruiter. Wasn't given opportunity to ask any questions about the organization or role. Recruiter was very nice and said next step was to review with hiring manager but was then told that wasn't being passed along as not a fit for company due to its lack of structure/process.

Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ascend Performance Materials in September 2014.

Process included a couple of phone interviews as well as face to face interviews with both HR and Operations Directors. Process was pretty fluid and quick but responses were slow at times. Recruiter was very knowledgeable and personable. Experience was overall a good experience and I think this is a solid up and coming HR organization with very good leadership.

Interview Questions
    • Standard history questions. Using S.T.A.R. Responses worked adequately.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Co-Op Interview

I had an on-campus interview for co-op. There were two people who cam to interview and asked very general behavioral questions. Some questions like, what is your greatest achievement?

Interview Questions
    • If you are working in a team and you and one other person have two different ways to do or implement the same thing. What would you do?   Answer Question

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ascend Performance Materials in January 2014.

I wanted to share my interview experience for future candidates. Overall I had a very positive experience interviewing with Ascend Performance Materials. From initial phone interview with the recruiter, to follow up phone interview with the Director, to group interviews back to back in person. The recruiter who was my main point of contact through the process was very professional and detailed in all communication. I was clear on the progress of the process, as well, instructions for the in person interviews was very clear. In order to maintain efficiency of time for myself as a candidate as well as the time of the interviewers, I met with five individuals from the team back to back therefore the interviewing occurred within a day. Everyone I met with was very approachable, professional and gave very good insight into what it was like working for Ascend. As I explained to the interviewers, my take on the company was that it was a unique, yet charming organization with it's depth of history however young existence. I think Ascend would be a great place to work for anyone who appreciates having the autonomy to be creative in an environment which fosters the mentality of thinking outside the box to better the organization.

Interview Questions
    • One of the more difficult questions I was asked was "name a mistake you have made in the workplace." It was personally difficult for me to recall on particular example.   Answer Question

Business Unit Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ascend Performance Materials.

I was approached through a recruiter for a position leading a production unit at Ascend. The job description closely matched what I had been doing for a few years, so I felt comfortable starting a discussion. My initial phone interview with the direct manager went well, going well over 90 minutes of productive discussion about both managerial and technical items. A few days later I was offered an on-site interview for a following Monday.

Both the Ascend HR and my recruiter told me to expect a heavy dose of behavior-based / STAR questioning. The interview questions were heavily scripted, and most of the interviewers were potential senior peers. Some of the interviewers would break script and have a real discussion about the position, while others tried more of a hard-sell approach about the company. None of the questions were particularly difficult to answer. If you've been through STAR systems before, you know what to expect. Just about every interviewer asked about salary expectations.

I picked up an odd vibe during a lot of the interviews that the questions were trending less towards the position for which I thought I was interviewing and more towards a purely technical role.

I found out the next day that they had already decided I was too inexperienced for the role I was interviewing about, and that they were gauging my interest in a technical role. I was asked to have one more phone discussion with a hiring panel. That discussion went rather poorly as their HR rep would not accept my attempts to defer further salary discussion. I finally stated that I had made my salary expectations very well known in almost every 1-on-1 interview when I was on site, they had not changed, would not change with a different job description, and I was not going to discuss them further on a conference call. Turns out they wanted to offer me a job subordinate to the original position.

After their classic bait-and-switch, I asked my recruiter to remove me from consideration before they extended any formal offer. They also never reimbursed my travel expenses.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you failed to persuade your manager.   View Answer

Chemical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ascend Performance Materials in February 2013.

It began with an on campus interview at the University of Florida. Thirty minutes, normal questions, things went well. Two weeks later, I received a call scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was longer, with more detailed questions about my work experience. Several days later I received an email asking for my dates of availability for an on site interview. They made the travel arrangements; there was some confusion about the rental car, I had to pay for it and ask for reimbursement for that and two meals.

The interview itself started with a safety video with some comprehension questions which were easy and granted me a yearly pass for the plant. Next I spoke with a pair of interviewers who asked me detailed questions about my education. Following that was an extensive tour of the plant which was informative and eye-opening. After that I had another interview with a pair, including a recent hire my own age. Finally, there was an exit interview with the HR department, who was most congenial.

Interview Questions
    • Though I hadn't mentioned it or put it on my resume, the first on-site interviewers asked me about my Senior Design project. I wish I had more closely reviewed the details the night before.   View Answer

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chocolate Bayou, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chocolate Bayou, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ascend Performance Materials in February 2013.

They perform an ACT test and if you pass they interview you. It's a panel interview. The best example I can give is to Google the S.T.A.R. interview process. They were really friendly and made me feel comfortable during both interviews. There is a lot of paperwork that has to be submitted for the background check which is understandable but you want to respond to all emails as quickly as possible. I enjoyed the process. During my medical clearance testing I was able to meet people from all over the plant and everyone was friendly and seemed to really enjoy their jobs and the pay and benefits.

Interview Questions
    • When you are going up for a job like this you have to be ready for it all. I just received my A.A.S degree in Process tech and have no experience. They were able to ask questions about my current job to get the info they needed. As stated before, they made me super comfortable and I enjoyed the process. Most of the questions had to do with finding out if you can self-manage and how well you work in a high stress environment as well as how you work with others, especially negative co-workers.   View Answer
    The starting pay was better than any other offers I had been given or that fellow classmates and friends were offered. I accepted without negotiation. This is a tough job market and it's hard with no real working experience in this industry to find work in Houston. When you see employees in the working environment that do not know that you are new and they talk about this company like it's the best in the world, you take that as a good sign. I am excited to get the opportunity to work for this company.

Mechanical Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ascend Performance Materials in September 2012.

I approached them at a college job fair. Gave them a bit of information and later that day they called me for an interview for the next day. I went to the interview and was asked three questions, then told that I would get a response in less than a week. Though I didn't actually get a response for a month.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when someone wasn't being a team player and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you worked very hard   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Ascend Performance Materials in July 2012.

Highly selective and wetted by multiple stakeholders with strong bias for track-record of academic and professional achievement