Ashford University Admissions Counselor Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ashford University (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Phone then one on one interview. Easy interview simple questions about how you would answer the phone calls. Sales calls and how they require some experience with sales. It's a call center environment and also included a month long training and required to pass training before hitting floor.

Other Interview Reviews for Ashford University

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ashford University (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

At first everything was moving along quickly. Applied and the next morning (wednesday) received an email from my recruiter scheduling a phone interview. Scheduled the phone interview for the next day (thursday) and had an in person interview that next day (friday).
    Interview went well a couple questions threw me off because they were worded really weirdly and then at the end has an awkward role play. The only disadvantage about the role play is that no one interviewing is trained to know how they want us to carry out the convo. All I was told was to start talking..
    Following the interview my interviewer said I would hear back from my recruiter within 24-48. My interview was on a friday so I figured I would give it till tuesday that next week. Now an entire week later still-- NOTHING. I wouldn't have a problem with waiting, but the fact that I was told something and still haven't heard back at all is really unprofessional. I even emailed my recruiter with a question and have yet to hear a response.
    Haven't been offered or defined yet so the wait continues...

Interview Questions

• how would you sell something to someone after they rejected it already?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ashford University (Denver, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

Simple process; first contacted by phone through a talent acquisition manager then they will instruct you further and schedule your interview, you must have four former managers and or co-works fill out a skills survey and submit it once completed you are ready for your interview. The interview process is with one or two admission managers who will ask you to role play once or twice a typical phone call, you as the counselor them as the student. Once finished they will tell you what you did good and what you could have done better. From there the interview is straight forward.

Interview Questions

• What would you bring to Ashford University?   Answer Question
    • Recall a time when you dealt with an angry customer, coworker, manager and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What stresses you out?   Answer Question
    • How do you take to rejection and being told no over and over?   Answer Question

Admissions Counselor Interview

Interview

Role play scenario. It took approximately thirty minutes. Interviewer was on his/her phone a lot. Did not seem like anyone there cared about student success at all. Reminded me of wolf of wallstreet. I would not recommend this place to anyone with morals.

The company basically takes advantage of a very specific disenfranchised socioeconomic demographic and exploit them. Ruining the US economy and placing the students in debt.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ashford University (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I had an initial phone interview with a recruiter who sounded very rushed and busy. I then had a face-to-face interview at their corporate headquarters at Evening Creek. The building was very nice, but the girl at the reception area seemed overworked. 1-on-1 interview with HR.

Interview Questions

• Questions weren't the hardest, but were geared around my ability to recruit new students and what my motives were for getting the job. The recruiter was very nice and knew her job well. She actually worked her way up into that position.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No real negotiation, but they relied heavily on how much sales experience/recruiting experience you have. You may be able to push for more if you're a rock star sales person.

Admissions Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ashford University.

Interview

Filled out an application online. They called me asked me a bunch of questions I passed that. Came in for a face-to-face interview and I was hired.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ashford University (San Diego, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I was contacted through a recruiter advising me they had a career opportunity available. The first initial phone call was pretty standard information about the position, the environment and skills needed. The recruiter I spoke with then set up an actual phone interview (with the same recruiter) for 5 days after the initial conversation. He sent me links in an email as my homework I needed to have completed before the phone interview. The homework consisted of listening to call clips and answering questions and uploading my resume online. During the phone interview he asked me questions about previous work experience and gave me scenarios and asked me if I would feel comfortable handling them.
    After that he invited me for a face to face interview the next day, early in the morning. He told me I needed to complete both of the links in his email prior to the interview. The first link was an official application and the second was 4 references with at least 2 being from previous Managers. It was difficult to contact everyone and get them to fill out the information prior the that next morning.
    The face to face interview was in a conference room with one other person he asked questions and wrote them down on a piece of paper word for word. They were pretty typical questions. The last part of the interview was a role-play scenario, he told me three pieces of information about the person I was calling and asked me to carry a conversation with the caller. After that call, he gave me feedback and we role-played again.

Interview Questions

• -Name a time you had a disagreement with one of your supervisors and how to you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • What was one time you had to remove barriers in order to go through with something?   Answer Question
    • What has been your greatest professional accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • Role-play scenario: I was given three pieces of information about the caller 1. single father 2. what type of degree they inquired about 3. and a name. The objective I was given was to carry on a conversation with the caller.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ashford University (San Diego, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied online, received call following day for recruiter, two days later received call from senior recruiter and two days later had the interview and spoke with the "so called" director of human resources. I asked early in if this was a sales position and was told "no" but when I was interview all questions asked led to a sales position.

Interview Questions

• They do a role play where you are on the phone and talking to a potential student trying get them to enroll.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ashford University (San Diego, CA).

Interview

pretty drawn out. three phone interviews (all of which seemed just to brag about what benefits you will receive if hired)

Interview Questions

• They make you do a "mock telephone call" with a student. Pretty awkward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ashford University (San Diego, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Submitted application on line and about 2 wks later received an email from their Sr. Recruiter. Had a quick conversation about the position the next day, then scheduled for a phone interview the following day. I had to watch a video with 5 questions that needed to be answered within 3 minutes before my scheduled phone interview. This was very insightful about the role of an admissions counselor. The following day, there was a formal interview with a manager. Both the recruiter and Manager provided a fair assessment of the company and position. I did some research prior and was impressed with their honestly and dedication to the organization.

Interview Questions

• The role play was unexpected.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No and I asked! Informed everyone starts at same pay.