Ashford University

Average Difficulty
30 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ashford University.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview with a recruiter who sounded very rushed and busy. I then had a face-to-face interview at their corporate headquarters at Evening Creek. The building was very nice, but the girl at the reception area seemed overworked. 1-on-1 interview with HR.

Interview Question – Questions weren't the hardest, but were geared around my ability to recruit new students and what my motives were for getting the job. The recruiter was very nice and knew her job well. She actually worked her way up into that position.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation, but they relied heavily on how much sales experience/recruiting experience you have. You may be able to push for more if you're a rock star sales person.

San Diego, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ashford University in September 2013.

Interview Details – Phone, Internet test, and face-to-face. They first do a phone interview, then if they like you, you have to pass a web-based role play test. Then in the face-to-face interview, they ask behavioral questions and then there is a role play exercise in which you want to use open-ended questions.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time in your life when you had to persevere.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unable to negotiate salary.

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ashford University in July 2011.

Interview Details – It was a one on one interview. While I was working there they changed the interview process. Last I knew it was still a one on one interview, but they make you pretend to get on a phone call with a potential student and ask how you would go about enrolling them.

Interview Question – What are some major benchmarks you have achieved so far?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They sent you an email with an offer and asked you to accept or decline within 24hrs

San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ashford University in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was screened initially over the phone. I knew an employee, but I felt that the interview process/questions was thorough and detailed, and they really wanted to know if I would be a fit. I was asked all types of questions ranging from basic customer service-type questions to more pointed ones regarding academic advising.

Interview Question – I really don't recall exactly, but it was along the lines of what to do if my boss asked me to act unethically...   Answer Question

Admissions Counselor

Interview Details – Filled out an application online. They called me asked me a bunch of questions I passed that. Came in for a face-to-face interview and I was hired.

Interview Question – It was so many years ago I don't remember   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ashford University in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted through a recruiter advising me they had a career opportunity available. The first initial phone call was pretty standard information about the position, the environment and skills needed. The recruiter I spoke with then set up an actual phone interview (with the same recruiter) for 5 days after the initial conversation. He sent me links in an email as my homework I needed to have completed before the phone interview. The homework consisted of listening to call clips and answering questions and uploading my resume online. During the phone interview he asked me questions about previous work experience and gave me scenarios and asked me if I would feel comfortable handling them.
After that he invited me for a face to face interview the next day, early in the morning. He told me I needed to complete both of the links in his email prior to the interview. The first link was an official application and the second was 4 references with at least 2 being from previous Managers. It was difficult to contact everyone and get them to fill out the information prior the that next morning.
The face to face interview was in a conference room with one other person he asked questions and wrote them down on a piece of paper word for word. They were pretty typical questions. The last part of the interview was a role-play scenario, he told me three pieces of information about the person I was calling and asked me to carry a conversation with the caller. After that call, he gave me feedback and we role-played again.

Interview Questions

• -Name a time you had a disagreement with one of your supervisors and how to you resolve it?   Answer Question
  • What was one time you had to remove barriers in order to go through with something?   Answer Question
  • What has been your greatest professional accomplishment?   Answer Question
  • Role-play scenario: I was given three pieces of information about the caller 1. single father 2. what type of degree they inquired about 3. and a name. The objective I was given was to carry on a conversation with the caller.   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Ashford University in August 2013.

Interview Details – All the reviews are spot on - yes, you initially receive a phone call from a recruiter, explaining the position, benefits, and rate of pay. Second phone call, a few days later, from the same recruiter, asking your thoughts about the video, which details "a day in the life of." Then, more questions, regarding the position, where some are situational. Then your recommended for an in-person interview that includes, a manager, and director. For some reason, only the manager interviewed me, probably because the director was busy, or called in sick that day. Whatever, not a big deal. The manager was friendly, but I felt over dressed in a suit. He was wearing jeans, and a polo shirt, untucked. Again, the manager asks what you think about the position, since your on the phone all day, everyday. Heavy dialing. Lastly, I inquired about a quota, and he said there isn't one, but this month is 4 (well, that means there IS one).

Interview Question – None, everything straight forward. The usual questions asked.   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ashford University in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, received call following day for recruiter, two days later received call from senior recruiter and two days later had the interview and spoke with the "so called" director of human resources. I asked early in if this was a sales position and was told "no" but when I was interview all questions asked led to a sales position.

Interview Question – They do a role play where you are on the phone and talking to a potential student trying get them to enroll.   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ashford University in September 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted application on line and about 2 wks later received an email from their Sr. Recruiter. Had a quick conversation about the position the next day, then scheduled for a phone interview the following day. I had to watch a video with 5 questions that needed to be answered within 3 minutes before my scheduled phone interview. This was very insightful about the role of an admissions counselor. The following day, there was a formal interview with a manager. Both the recruiter and Manager provided a fair assessment of the company and position. I did some research prior and was impressed with their honestly and dedication to the organization.

Interview Question – The role play was unexpected.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No and I asked! Informed everyone starts at same pay.

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Ashford University in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on the Ashford University website, received a phone call the next day with a recruiter and was told what the first step in the process was going to be, the first process was to complete a 'virtual day in the life' of the position of AC and answer a few questions, next day recruiter called again and had a informal phone interview and had to fill out a reference form and got scheduled a formal interview at the facility, next day went in for the formal interview, facility was pretty nice and people were very welcoming and kind, interviewer came downstairs in the waiting area and we went off to a conference room and had a formal interview..

Interview Question – All the questions were expected in any interview, questions about yourself and ways you approached situations that pertain to the job description. Had an idea of the role play but was not fully prepared for it which probably screwed me over.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ashford University

Worked for Ashford University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ashford University Admissions Counselor interview questions and advice. All 30 interview reviews posted anonymously by Ashford University employees and interview candidates.