Ashford University

Updated Jan 13, 2015
Updated Jan 13, 2015

2.7

Admissions Counselor Interview

Role play scenario. It took approximately thirty minutes. Interviewer was on his/her phone a lot. Did not seem like anyone there cared about student success at all. Reminded me of wolf of wallstreet. I would not recommend this place to anyone with morals.

The company basically takes advantage of a very specific disenfranchised socioeconomic demographic and exploit them. Ruining the US economy and placing the students in debt.

no negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ashford University.

I had an initial phone interview with a recruiter who sounded very rushed and busy. I then had a face-to-face interview at their corporate headquarters at Evening Creek. The building was very nice, but the girl at the reception area seemed overworked. 1-on-1 interview with HR.

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't the hardest, but were geared around my ability to recruit new students and what my motives were for getting the job. The recruiter was very nice and knew her job well. She actually worked her way up into that position.   View Answer
    No real negotiation, but they relied heavily on how much sales experience/recruiting experience you have. You may be able to push for more if you're a rock star sales person.

Enrollment Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Ashford University.

I don't remember much about the interview except that I was interviewed by a random manager. He hired me and passed me back to the recruiter to tell me about starting. I had applied twice online with no response. It wasn't until I met a recruiter at a Job Fair that I finally was called for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any difficult questions. I was primarily asked about my previous experience.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. For me it was a $10,000 increase from my previous employer.

Financial Services Manager Interview

Interview process was more like a conversation rather than a structured interview. Good questions were asked to see if you were a fit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time that you had to work with a difficult customer? How did you handle it.   Answer Question

Admissions Department Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Ashford University.

I have interacted with recruiters from Ashford University twice, and both experiences were negative. The first recruiter found my profile on LinkedIn, invited me to apply to an Admissions Counselor position, and dangled a large salary and relocation packages in front of me. I decided to apply, and then heard nothing. When I followed up by email a week later, I received a canned response thanking me for applying, and informing me that Ashford is currently only hiring internally. Again, SHE contacted ME and asked me to apply, not the other way around!

The second time I contacted a recruiter to inquire about a management position posted on Ashford's web site. The recruiter responded immediately and said she would be calling me that day to talk. The next morning I emailed her because she never called. She responded by saying the position had been filled, and she would be in contact the next week. Two weeks went by and never heard back. I finally emailed to let her know I was no longer interested and would be pursuing other opportunities, to which she replied congratulations and never offered any explanation for her lack of follow-through.

Interview Questions
    • Never got to this point thanks to poor follow-through by their recruiters.   Answer Question

Admissions Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ashford University in February 2014.

Applied online for one position. A recruiter called to recommend a different position and ask if I was interested. I appreciated that the recruiter was open to matching my experience more closely with another and higher position than I originally applied for. One-on-one interview was unfocused. Associate Director seemed uninterested in me and in a rush. Seemed arrogant and distracted.

Interview Questions
    • The Associate Director started by saying we were short on time and to make my answers brief. This made answering very difficult as I felt I needed to keep it short rather than provide context and details. He just used a checklist and asked no follow up questions.   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ashford University.

Went smoothly. I was contacted through email and an interview was set up on the phone. I completed a phone interview with HR and then with the hiring committee.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a difficult situation with a coworker and how I handled it.   Answer Question
    This was my first job in academia so I did not negotiate but should have.

Military Admissions Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ashford University.

First there is the initial phone call from Bridgepoint HQ then they schedule you a second phone interview. This second phone interview has call examples, and detailed, "for example" type situations for you to respond to.
    Finally, there is an in-person interview, usually with your manager.

On the day of orientation, there is a TON of people there and it's a little off-putting.

I explained the hours i was willing to accept, they had 6-3, 7-4, 8-5 & 9-6 shifts. I made my hours non-negotiable and explained that my family came first.

Admissions Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ashford University.

Filled out an application online. They called me asked me a bunch of questions I passed that. Came in for a face-to-face interview and I was hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ashford University in October 2013.

I was contacted through a recruiter advising me they had a career opportunity available. The first initial phone call was pretty standard information about the position, the environment and skills needed. The recruiter I spoke with then set up an actual phone interview (with the same recruiter) for 5 days after the initial conversation. He sent me links in an email as my homework I needed to have completed before the phone interview. The homework consisted of listening to call clips and answering questions and uploading my resume online. During the phone interview he asked me questions about previous work experience and gave me scenarios and asked me if I would feel comfortable handling them.
    After that he invited me for a face to face interview the next day, early in the morning. He told me I needed to complete both of the links in his email prior to the interview. The first link was an official application and the second was 4 references with at least 2 being from previous Managers. It was difficult to contact everyone and get them to fill out the information prior the that next morning.
    The face to face interview was in a conference room with one other person he asked questions and wrote them down on a piece of paper word for word. They were pretty typical questions. The last part of the interview was a role-play scenario, he told me three pieces of information about the person I was calling and asked me to carry a conversation with the caller. After that call, he gave me feedback and we role-played again.

Interview Questions
    • -Name a time you had a disagreement with one of your supervisors and how to you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • What was one time you had to remove barriers in order to go through with something?   Answer Question
    • What has been your greatest professional accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • Role-play scenario: I was given three pieces of information about the caller 1. single father 2. what type of degree they inquired about 3. and a name. The objective I was given was to carry on a conversation with the caller.   Answer Question