Ashoka

3.2

Senior Partnerships Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ashoka.

I had 5 or 6 interviews and the process took about 2 months (which is lightening speed for Ashoka)
    The process is lengthy, opaque and awfully subjective on the part of the interviewer. Ashoka hires for entrepreneurship, which is as fuzzy as it sounds.

The organization is brimming with very smart, capable, talented people who are deeply committed to the organization and it's mission. For the social entrepreneurship/change space working at Ashoka is kind of like working at McKinsey. That said there are probably a few organizations that won't want to work with you if you've been there, but not many (and that's not been substantiated just my opinion).

If you want to work here, make sure you are burning with desire to do so.

Interview Questions
    No room to negotiate really.

A*Year Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Ashoka in October 2014.

Went through three phone interviews over a six-week period. The questions really got to the core of how the applicant embodies Ashoka's principles of entrepreneurship/intrapreneurship and social innovation. Overall a productive experience -- preparing for these interviews helped me think about how I personally reflect Ashoka's model, how someone with my skills could support their office, and how I might grow (within/without the company). I just wish it was more efficient in terms of scheduling and hearing back, but nothing much you can do about a busy office!

Interview Questions
    • What was something new you started in high school?   View Answer

Marketing/Collaboration Investments Coordinator Interview

- Very easy phone call interview about 30 mins telling them about my experiences. All behavioral. Since the internship role is very ambiguous, they want to hear about what projects you want to do and take one.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a hard project you had. What made it hard? How did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Unpaid in New York

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ashoka in August 2014.

Had two phone interviews and then a final in person interview with Social Financial Services Team. The first interview felt like a get to know you screen. The second interviewer delved more into my work history, describing the mission of the team and asked about entrepreneurship. The third interview was slightly incomplete.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest question is how Social Financial Services team could improve their work largely because throughout the interviews, I could never get a strong grasp of what they did. Each person described the mission slightly differently and they were purposely vague on details.

The Managing Director is ultimately looking for someone with strong entrepreneurship experience. I'm unclear as to whether he read my resume prior to the interview based on the flow of our conversation. Unfortunately he had asked me to schedule a part two to continue the discussion about organizations I started but ultimately decided I was too weak in that area and not worth pursuing the discussion further. If you are interested in this organization, make sure to highlight your entrepreneurial experiences on your resume and lead with it in your discussion.

Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ashoka.

Applied online and heard back right away. Submitted a resume and writing sample. Had one Skype interview before the offer and one following to discuss the position further. Manager was very helpful in making sure that the position fit my skills and interests. One week orientation provided to intern group that arrived at the beginning of the summer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a social problem and how you would go about solving it given unlimited resources.   Answer Question
    unpaid, declined negotiation

Intern Interview

CV and cover letter sent directly to the regional office.

Full Time Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Ashoka.

Long and tedious interview process that can last over a year and include 15-20 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • If you do not have entrepreneurial experience, you will not be hired.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Three interviews--mostly interested in why I'm interested in Ashoka. Asked about my own experiences as a "change-maker" and why social innovation is important.

Fundraising Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ashoka in February 2014.

Ashoka posts some intern and job opportunities on their website, so you can find what you are interested in and applied for it via email. For application, a general application form is also requested. The intern position is requested by specific employees and they will contact you for an interview if you are a good fit.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Ashoka in February 2014.

Mostly behavioral. The organization looks for entrepreneurial people so its important to prove that. Also they typically have junior level people interview you so being able to demonstrate the ways in which you take initiative looks good as it shows there will be less work for them.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss a time when you faced a challenge how did you overcome it.   Answer Question