Ashoka

Average Difficulty
19 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ashoka.

Interview Details – Applied online and heard back right away. Submitted a resume and writing sample. Had one Skype interview before the offer and one following to discuss the position further. Manager was very helpful in making sure that the position fit my skills and interests. One week orientation provided to intern group that arrived at the beginning of the summer.

Interview Question – Describe a social problem and how you would go about solving it given unlimited resources.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – unpaid, declined negotiation

Interviewed at Ashoka

Interview Details – CV and cover letter sent directly to the regional office.

Very Easy Interview

Finance Associate Interview

Finance Associate
Rosslyn, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ashoka in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied from the school's career center system and got the interview during winter break. My direct manager gave me a phone interview and asked me about Excel basics and ERP system. She was very nice and friendly.

Interview Question – Did you use ERP system before and what kind of ERP system did you use?   View Answer

Full Time Interview

Full Time

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at Ashoka.

Interview Details – Long and tedious interview process that can last over a year and include 15-20 interviews.

Interview Question – If you do not have entrepreneurial experience, you will not be hired.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Internship

Interviewed at Ashoka

Interview Details – Three interviews--mostly interested in why I'm interested in Ashoka. Asked about my own experiences as a "change-maker" and why social innovation is important.

Interview Question – What does "change-maker school" mean to you?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Ashoka.

Interview Details – Interview process is entertaining and extremely informal, at least in the beginning. They try to find out if you are the kind of personality that would fit in with Ashoka during the early stages. Then they send your profile to their various departments and see if any of them have any vacant positions that match your skill set. However, the gap between the first interview and the second interview (with the specific dept) is often a month or so and you probably won't have any communication with them between that time. Overall a good company, would love to work for them ( I was selected but I couldn't take up the offer as I had a better one) but would request them to be more formal about their process.

Interview Question – Prepare for the interview by going over your resume and being confident. In the initial stages, you'll be asked general questions like what you've done, the challenges you've faced, your failures and/or successes etc. It's a fun process and you get to hear from other candidates as well (they have a group interview too)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had a better offer with another company in the similar social entrepreneurship field.

Strategic Resources Intern Interview

Strategic Resources Intern

Interviewed at Ashoka

Interview Details – Initially communicated via Skype, transitioned into several phone calls, and then conducted several more skype interview to determine specific department placement. Relatively easy interview process and low stress.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 10 years   View Answer

Reason for Declining – For me, other opportunities were more attractive in the surrounding area. Ashoka didn't pay interns.

Interviewed at Ashoka

Interview Details – Talked about past experiences, excel skills. The interviewer was very friendly. There was also some general behavioral questions, nothing unexpected. The most challenging question is probably what makes you entrepreneur? Also you have to understand what Ashoka does and what is the difference between social entrepreneurship and non-profit. Do some research always help.

Interview Question – What makes you entrepreneur?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Ashoka.

Interview Details – It wasn't an awful experience, but you definitely had to wait and see. They really are just looking for the right fit with the right team!

Interview Question – Why was your biggest failure a failure?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was interesting, having to do a speed dating round with different team members. Overall, gave me great exposure even during just the interviewing phase.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Ashoka in September 2011.

Interview Details – I just had this interview today so I am not sure what will come of it. The interview itself lasted about an hour and was very tough. Questions asked included:

1) Why are you interested in Ashoka and/or social entrepreneurship?
2) What do you think social entrepreneurs have to offer that other organizations (ie. charities or religious organizations) don't?
3) Is there a social change project that you have been particularly impressed by?
4) Tell me about a place/group in your background that has been changed because you were there?
5) Various other questions about projects I had specifically worked on and what I would have done to increase the scope of those projects etc.

Worked for Ashoka? Contribute to the Community!