Ashoka Interview Questions

3.1

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ashoka in August 2014.

Had two phone interviews and then a final in person interview with Social Financial Services Team. The first interview felt like a get to know you screen. The second interviewer delved more into my work history, describing the mission of the team and asked about entrepreneurship. The third interview was slightly incomplete.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest question is how Social Financial Services team could improve their work largely because throughout the interviews, I could never get a strong grasp of what they did. Each person described the mission slightly differently and they were purposely vague on details.

The Managing Director is ultimately looking for someone with strong entrepreneurship experience. I'm unclear as to whether he read my resume prior to the interview based on the flow of our conversation. Unfortunately he had asked me to schedule a part two to continue the discussion about organizations I started but ultimately decided I was too weak in that area and not worth pursuing the discussion further. If you are interested in this organization, make sure to highlight your entrepreneurial experiences on your resume and lead with it in your discussion.
        Answer Question

Fundraising Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ashoka in February 2014.

Ashoka posts some intern and job opportunities on their website, so you can find what you are interested in and applied for it via email. For application, a general application form is also requested. The intern position is requested by specific employees and they will contact you for an interview if you are a good fit.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ashoka.

Applied online and heard back right away. Submitted a resume and writing sample. Had one Skype interview before the offer and one following to discuss the position further. Manager was very helpful in making sure that the position fit my skills and interests. One week orientation provided to intern group that arrived at the beginning of the summer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a social problem and how you would go about solving it given unlimited resources.   Answer Question
    unpaid, declined negotiation

Intern Interview

CV and cover letter sent directly to the regional office.

Finance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rosslyn, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosslyn, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Ashoka in January 2014.

I applied from the school's career center system and got the interview during winter break. My direct manager gave me a phone interview and asked me about Excel basics and ERP system. She was very nice and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Did you use ERP system before and what kind of ERP system did you use?   View Answer

Full Time Interview

I applied online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at Ashoka.

Long and tedious interview process that can last over a year and include 15-20 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • If you do not have entrepreneurial experience, you will not be hired.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Three interviews--mostly interested in why I'm interested in Ashoka. Asked about my own experiences as a "change-maker" and why social innovation is important.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Ashoka.

Interview process is entertaining and extremely informal, at least in the beginning. They try to find out if you are the kind of personality that would fit in with Ashoka during the early stages. Then they send your profile to their various departments and see if any of them have any vacant positions that match your skill set. However, the gap between the first interview and the second interview (with the specific dept) is often a month or so and you probably won't have any communication with them between that time. Overall a good company, would love to work for them ( I was selected but I couldn't take up the offer as I had a better one) but would request them to be more formal about their process.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare for the interview by going over your resume and being confident. In the initial stages, you'll be asked general questions like what you've done, the challenges you've faced, your failures and/or successes etc. It's a fun process and you get to hear from other candidates as well (they have a group interview too)   Answer Question

Had a better offer with another company in the similar social entrepreneurship field.

Strategic Resources Intern Interview

Initially communicated via Skype, transitioned into several phone calls, and then conducted several more skype interview to determine specific department placement. Relatively easy interview process and low stress.

Interview Questions

For me, other opportunities were more attractive in the surrounding area. Ashoka didn't pay interns.

Intern Interview

Talked about past experiences, excel skills. The interviewer was very friendly. There was also some general behavioral questions, nothing unexpected. The most challenging question is probably what makes you entrepreneur? Also you have to understand what Ashoka does and what is the difference between social entrepreneurship and non-profit. Do some research always help.

Interview Questions

Worked for Ashoka? Contribute to the Community!