Ask.com

Average Difficulty
30 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Ask.com in July 2014.

Interview Details – Interview phase 1: I applied on Ask.com careers, and got a call in 1-2 weeks from a recruiter. My first interview was with a senior engineer, and questions were mostly regarding my background, CV. The focus was more on knowing my intention and interests, do they align with the job description or not.

Interview phase2: The interview was conducted in a very friendly and interactive way. I meet experienced engineers and had very good discussions. onsite interview which lasted 4-5 hours, consisting of 3 planned interviews and 1 unplanned i.e more chit chat. First interview was more on discussion regarding my background/CV, interests and what the expectations of the job role + intro to existing and future projects. Second interview was again very interactive, and was based on a topic i selected, ML algo, this was a bit tricky. Third interview had one java problem (finding combinations in a string, non repeating), and then later how can we improve the space and time complexity. In the end there was another session of discussion about comp culture and ongoing projects etc.

Interview Question – Issues and shortcomings of a ML algo   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation, actually the offer was fair so I did not do much effort. Secondly I was told about the budget of the position.

Intern Interview

Intern
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Ask.com in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied initially online. It took several weeks for a response from HR requesting a phone interview. After responding, I heard nothing for two additional weeks. HR requested phone availiability once again, and I finally had a phone interview with the hiring manager exactly 1 month later from my initial submission date. It took about 1.5 hours, and wasn't terribly difficult (questions matched the job description).

Two to three weeks later, I had an on-site interview for 3 hours with the hiring manager and 3 other members of the team. Before going, I had to fill out an NDA (I'm not sure why) and an employment application form. The office is very nice, and it's conveniently located near BART. If you use their parking garage, they will validate so you'll get free parking. 1 hour of the interview was just me working alone on some technical questions before going over them with the hiring manager. He didn't seem too focused on my background at all. The other 3 asked those theoretical questions that I hate - what would you do in X situation and so on. It felt somewhat disjointed.

Since then, I've heard nothing from them at all. Ask.com uses Jobvite, so you can't even get direct email addresses to inquire further. This morning I saw that the job was marked as Closed. I take it as rejection, but I think it is rude of them to not even contact applicants informing them about their status. Overall, the process was very slow.

Interview Question – What would you qualify as a question?   Answer Question

SEM Analyst Interview

SEM Analyst
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ask.com in April 2014.

Interview Details – First contacted by the recruiter, he first gave some description of the company and corresponding position. Then he asked some regular behavior question and schedule the time for interview with the director.

The phone interview took about one hour. First asked for introduction and project/work experience. Then have some question about R and SQL. The last part was about the general idea of SEM.

Interview Question – What do you about of the SEM?   Answer Question

Web Content Manager Interview

Web Content Manager

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Ask.com.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR and then with head of content department.

Interview Question – No trick or difficult questions. Just the ones you'd expect.   Answer Question

Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Ask.com.

Interview Details – I got an email from HR that they liked my resume for the position. Next round was a phone technical interview. It was supposed to be taken by someone but instead someone else took it. I did pretty well in that and got selected for next round which was solving two coding problems.
I was supposed to get coding problems on friday but they forgot then again scheduled for saturday, which they again forgot and i ended up doing coding problems designed for some other position. HR was concerned but the technical staff which was supposed to send me the problems were lazy.
And its been 3 weeks since then and i have not received any sort of reply from them about rejection or acceptance.

Overall, interview process is lousy!!!

Interview Question – No unexpected questions in 1st round but the programming questions were not basic data structure programming. They asked for creating link graph.   Answer Question

Oakland, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ask.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Since the commute is long, everyone said telecommuting could be worked out. Went to interview. It went well. Lot of nice people with deep technical discussions. Questions ranged from simple programming languages to deep understanding of how things works. The interivew process took little over half day. Before this on site, there were two phone screen, and another phone interview after. All in all, the process went very well. Hoping very much that an offer would come by. Then they said, telecommuting is not possible.

Interview Question – Asking to relocate, even knowing that it is not currently possible as discussed before the whole interview process started   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Oakland, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Ask.com in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was streamlined. The interview process lasted about a week. I got called in on a Thursday and they already had a decision by Friday. The recruiters and interviewers were able to describe the position really well and gave me a very good feel for the work I will be doing.

User Experience Designer Interview

User Experience Designer
Oakland, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Ask.com in June 2013.

Interview Details – They found me online. Two phone screens + onsite interview led to a verbal offer, but it took awhile since they didn't have the job req finalized (go figure). The clincher: the recruiter and hiring manager made a detailed offer verbally and then failed to get final approval.

Interview Question – What applications do you use and what are the pros/cons (not difficult, I know)   Answer Question

Search Engine Marketing Manager Interview

Search Engine Marketing Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Ask.com.

Interview Details – Smooth process. Contacted right away and scheduled soon afterwards. The HR manager was very communicative.

First interviewer was professional The second one was rude and was incredulous about my accomplishments, saying that it was unlikely to have done so much early in my career.

I declined going forward with the process, not because of the interviewer but because the job wasn't what I expected.

Interview Question – Quality score, ad position normalization, what to do in case of a drop in revenue.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ask.com in August 2013.

Interview Details – Got through two phone interviews, then got flown out to oakland for interview... AWESOME EXPERIENCE.

Interview Question – Design a hashmap from scratch and make your own linked list.   Answer Question

Worked for Ask.com? Contribute to the Community!