Ask.com Interview Questions & Reviews

32 interviews

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ask.com in March 2014.

Contacted by HR Manager in the beginning. First did a phone interview with the team Director. This was a casual interview about my passion and interests, followed by some simple algorithmic questions. This was followed by a take-home programming assignment. This assignment was not so difficult to do, but it certainly tried and tested my algorithmic coding skills. Although I can't say what this assignment was exactly, I can tell you this much, that it was based on graphs and their traversal. I then did another phone interview with a live coding portion. The live coding questions were pretty easy to tackle.

I was then invited for an on-site interview. The onsite interview consisted of 8 1:1 interviews, totaling to 5.5 hours for the entire interview. Be prepared for the following:
    1. Questions about data structures and algorithms, specifically lists, stacks, queues, hash sets and graph representations.
    2. Graph algorithms. You don't need to know them all, but basic knowledge of how graph traversal works, different types of graphs, etc. will go a long way.
    3. Synchronization issues. This came to me as unexpected, but I was asked a lot about thread-safe data structures, how they work internally, how Java handles synchronization, etc.
    4. Design patterns. Know your Singletons and Factory Method patterns well!
    5. [optional] I was asked some questions about Hadoop and MapReduce.

They are nice enough to serve you lunch from a variety of options including vegetarian and vegan food choices as well!

I won't disclose what the exact questions are throughout my interview (signed an NDA for that) but as you can see from the above, you pretty much need to be an all round Computer Science person to crack the on-site.

Interview Questions
    • I can't disclose this due to an NDA that I've signed, but for me, this section would definitely be the concurrency questions that I was asked. Know what data structures are thread safe in Java, and how they implement synchronization.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Ask.com.

Recruiter contacted via LinkedIn. Process took 3+ week. Had a discussion with recruiter, after that had a call with manager. Had total of 2 phone interviews and then onsite 5 rounds interviewers came in a pair of 2. Most of the interviewer were consultants.

Questions asked:
    1. Find the minimum distance between 2 nodes in a graph. Then modified it to a graph like LinkedIn where you have 1 degree, 2nd degree connections. I thought I did good in this round I was able to solve this question. Then he asked me to implement the Threadpool class and write unit and integration tests for it.
    2. This round was with the lead and one other interviewer. General unix command, Sql commands. Nothing difficult. Team lead was totally disinterested he didn't asked any questions.
    3. Write a shell script to find a word count and print the result with line number and count of word in that line. Implement same in Java.
    4. It was with one of the manager. This was more general discussion about the OOD and some of the problems that they are having.
    5. What is REST. Implement a simple Rest service for get and put. Implement Tree data structure.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Ask.com in July 2014.

Interview phase 1: I applied on Ask.com careers, and got a call in 1-2 weeks from a recruiter. My first interview was with a senior engineer, and questions were mostly regarding my background, CV. The focus was more on knowing my intention and interests, do they align with the job description or not.

Interview phase2: The interview was conducted in a very friendly and interactive way. I meet experienced engineers and had very good discussions. onsite interview which lasted 4-5 hours, consisting of 3 planned interviews and 1 unplanned i.e more chit chat. First interview was more on discussion regarding my background/CV, interests and what the expectations of the job role + intro to existing and future projects. Second interview was again very interactive, and was based on a topic i selected, ML algo, this was a bit tricky. Third interview had one java problem (finding combinations in a string, non repeating), and then later how can we improve the space and time complexity. In the end there was another session of discussion about comp culture and ongoing projects etc.

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiation, actually the offer was fair so I did not do much effort. Secondly I was told about the budget of the position.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Ask.com in April 2014.

I applied initially online. It took several weeks for a response from HR requesting a phone interview. After responding, I heard nothing for two additional weeks. HR requested phone availiability once again, and I finally had a phone interview with the hiring manager exactly 1 month later from my initial submission date. It took about 1.5 hours, and wasn't terribly difficult (questions matched the job description).

Two to three weeks later, I had an on-site interview for 3 hours with the hiring manager and 3 other members of the team. Before going, I had to fill out an NDA (I'm not sure why) and an employment application form. The office is very nice, and it's conveniently located near BART. If you use their parking garage, they will validate so you'll get free parking. 1 hour of the interview was just me working alone on some technical questions before going over them with the hiring manager. He didn't seem too focused on my background at all. The other 3 asked those theoretical questions that I hate - what would you do in X situation and so on. It felt somewhat disjointed.

Since then, I've heard nothing from them at all. Ask.com uses Jobvite, so you can't even get direct email addresses to inquire further. This morning I saw that the job was marked as Closed. I take it as rejection, but I think it is rude of them to not even contact applicants informing them about their status. Overall, the process was very slow.

SEM Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Ask.com in April 2014.

First contacted by the recruiter, he first gave some description of the company and corresponding position. Then he asked some regular behavior question and schedule the time for interview with the director.

The phone interview took about one hour. First asked for introduction and project/work experience. Then have some question about R and SQL. The last part was about the general idea of SEM.

Web Content Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Ask.com.

Phone interview with HR and then with head of content department.

Interview Questions
    • No trick or difficult questions. Just the ones you'd expect.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Ask.com.

I got an email from HR that they liked my resume for the position. Next round was a phone technical interview. It was supposed to be taken by someone but instead someone else took it. I did pretty well in that and got selected for next round which was solving two coding problems.
    I was supposed to get coding problems on friday but they forgot then again scheduled for saturday, which they again forgot and i ended up doing coding problems designed for some other position. HR was concerned but the technical staff which was supposed to send me the problems were lazy.
    And its been 3 weeks since then and i have not received any sort of reply from them about rejection or acceptance.

Overall, interview process is lousy!!!

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions in 1st round but the programming questions were not basic data structure programming. They asked for creating link graph.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Ask.com in February 2014.

Since the commute is long, everyone said telecommuting could be worked out. Went to interview. It went well. Lot of nice people with deep technical discussions. Questions ranged from simple programming languages to deep understanding of how things works. The interivew process took little over half day. Before this on site, there were two phone screen, and another phone interview after. All in all, the process went very well. Hoping very much that an offer would come by. Then they said, telecommuting is not possible.

Interview Questions
    • Asking to relocate, even knowing that it is not currently possible as discussed before the whole interview process started   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Ask.com in September 2013.

The interview process was streamlined. The interview process lasted about a week. I got called in on a Thursday and they already had a decision by Friday. The recruiters and interviewers were able to describe the position really well and gave me a very good feel for the work I will be doing.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Ask.com in June 2013.

They found me online. Two phone screens + onsite interview led to a verbal offer, but it took awhile since they didn't have the job req finalized (go figure). The clincher: the recruiter and hiring manager made a detailed offer verbally and then failed to get final approval.

Interview Questions
    • What applications do you use and what are the pros/cons (not difficult, I know)   Answer Question

Worked for Ask.com? Contribute to the Community!