Aspen Institute Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.8

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Aspen Institute in March 2015.

Interview

It was an online application, resume submission, on the Aspen Institute website. I was contacted by a program associate who oversaw the summer internship program in Colorado about a month after submitting resume. Interviewed with two program associates over skype.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you as a summer intern? What was challenging circumstance you once encountered and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Aspen Institute.

Interview

Several weeks after applying through the online system, I received an email that was a addressed to an unspecified number of applicants. We were invited to submit a cover letter. The email provided a timeline for the rest of the application process. After review of the cover letters, some applicants would be selected for a phone interview, and eventually an in person interview. Some time later I received another mass email inviting me to use Doodle to schedule a phone interview. I conducted the phone interview with the program director. The first question was the most challenging-"Describe your values." I found it difficult to satisfy the interviewer with my answers to this very vague question. He asked me to elaborate or something similar three or four times. After this, the questions were easier and we had a good conversation. Other than the first question, I felt good about the interview. About a week later, I received a mass (not personally addressed) "thanks but no thanks" email from the program director who called himself an incredibly informal nickname. I thought this last email was quite unprofessional and given the 45 minute interview, I though I at least deserved a response addressed to me personally and not "Dear Applicant".

Program Coordinator - Franklin Project Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Aspen Institute (Washington, DC).

Interview

The organization acts pretty quickly in terms of turnaround. Nice people and mission driven. The organization itself is pretty well put together and has a clear vision with idealistic individuals who want to get it done for the right reasons. If you believe in service, then this is the place to go as it very well established and well known.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot about values, which is sometimes to hard to think of on the fly.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Aspen Institute in April 2014.

Interview

I received an unexpected phone call from the Aspen Institute. My interviewer claimed it was a "pre-screen," yet he was asking me interview questions. He did not ask if this was a good time to speak and did not schedule the phone call with me.

Interview Questions

• The entire phone call interview was unexpected. I expect more professional etiquette from employers to schedule any form of interview rather than putting a potential candidate on the spot.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Aspen Institute (Washington, DC).

Interview

Varies depending on the program

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Aspen Institute (Washington, DC) in July 2010.

Interview

referral from former employee; first received phone call from current intern, then came to the office for 1:1 interview, then after given offer with no room to negotiate i accepted and began work within the month. all protocol was simply that as no other candidates were seriously considered. good for me at the time since i was unemployed for 6 months, bad for me in that i had no idea the psychotic nature of management, nor the lack of opportunities i would have. o well, i moved on :)

Interview Questions

• what makes you qualified for this job? unexpected in that i had multiple degrees and this position was far below my capabilities, which was known, but i guess they wanted to keep with protocol just this once   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Aspen Institute (Washington, DC) in November 2009.

Interview

I started out as an intern at the Aspen Institute and worked my way up. The best way to get hired is via internal reference. They will look for internal hires before looking for external hires (and even with external hires, as most jobs in Washington go, it IS about who you know).

Interview Questions

• What did you do as an intern for Aspen?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aspen, CO

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Aspen Institute (Aspen, CO) in March 2009.

Interview

I applied online and received an email a few days later about a phone interview. I was abroad at the time, but they were very pleasant and arranged the interview around the extreme time difference. First phone interview was with 1 person, the second was with a panel of 3-4, and the third was with my future internship director. Overall great experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Took the offer as they gave it.

Intern Interview

Interview

Usually interviewed by 2 program staff members. A short 15-20 minute interview and relatively conversational.

Interview Questions

• How does this position relate to your future career plan?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Aspen Institute in February 2012.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight-forward. I applied online and sent in my cover-letter and resume. I had one interview that was with a team of staff members and they all asked questions about my previous work experience and what I wanted to contribute as an intern. I was notified shortly afterwards about the position offered.