Aspen Skiing Company Ski Instructor Interview Questions

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Aspen Skiing Company

Ski Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aspen, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Aspen Skiing Company (Aspen, CO) in November 2011.

Interview

Easy, hassle free. Reviewed my resume in which I had experience working with children. Then there was an on snow examination to make sure that my skiing level was appropriate.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, they are very basic questions: why do you want to be a ski instructor? Why do you think you would be a good ski instructor?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Aspen Skiing Company

Ski Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aspen, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Aspen Skiing Company (Aspen, CO) in August 2010.

Interview

The interview process was more "intense" than I would have initially thought. I filled out an online application a few days before a local job fair. Having already completed the application, I was streamlined to the one-on-one interview portion of the process. That conversation lasted about 45 minutes, discussing my educational background, any teaching background I had, my level of experience working with kids (I was interviewing to teach skiing in one of the children programs), my proficiency in the sport, and generally gauging my personality. There were a few curve-ball questions regarding safety as the top priority, followed by fun and learning. In order to complete the process, I had to obtain three letters of recommendation to submit to the program coordinator (who, as it happened, was also the interviewer -- an aspect of the process that I liked and respected). A few weeks later, I received an e-mail offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you react if you were told that you were being watched?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There are no real negotiation phases in the process. You are offered a part-time position with a base salary that is pre-determined by your qualifications. If you do not have any certifications from PSIA and do not have any previous experience instructing with the company, then you receive a job offer that pays $11/hour. No negotiations. That being said, if you go ahead and acquire your first level of certification from PSIA, you'll receive a pay raise, no questions asked. Also, after you've accumulated 75 hours of teaching hours with the company, you'll receive another pay raise. So even though the initial offer does not yield to negotiation, there is a clear path toward advancement.