Aspera

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Aspera in May 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter sent the code challenge for first level screening. Giving 1~2 days to write the program in the language you claim as you skilled best. Submit the results and the code to be determined if goes to next round.

Interview Question – Life or death with the result of running the code.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Aspera in May 2014.

Interview Details – The company has just been bought out by IBM, but the interview experience is the worst I've ever got. The technical interviewers are pretty nice. However, the higher level managers are arrogant and not open-minded enough. They basically don't care about your performance during the interviews. If you were chasing good background in the past years, maybe you can get better chances.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. But do not waste your time if you find they are not so seriously considering your candidacy.   Answer Question

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Software Engineer - New Grad

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Aspera in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on Aspera's website. A few weeks later received the same challenge that everyone else here received to solve. I submitted it within two days. No feedback for two weeks. I followed up and they replied that they would like to move forward in the process. Had a phone call with their HR a few weeks later and no feedback again for a week. Again, I followed up and they scheduled an phone interview with one of their senior developers. Received rejection ten minutes after the phone interview.

Interview Question – The interviewer asked questions about networking. While I don't blame him for it, I didn't mention anything about networking on my resume and based on his questions I doubt whether he even read my resume. Feel like a waste of time. He also mentioned the job is about 50% engineering and 50% customer support and requires some travel, something that the original job description didn't include at all. I don't know you, but I wouldn't assume an average software engineer position requires so much support and travel if the description doesn't explicitly points it out.   Answer Question

C/C++ Developer Interview

C/C++ Developer

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Aspera in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online. Got a very good question to solve within 2 days. Then 3 rounds of phone interviews provided. First 2 rounds, no feedback at all. 3rd round, we scheduled for twice. Because they missed the interview for the first time. Then 2nd time for 3rd round interview, guess what, they forget a again. Being professional is a big deal for them.

Interview Question – Nothing special   Answer Question

Software Engineer, Research and Development Interview

Software Engineer, Research and Development
Emeryville, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Aspera in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through the website and through personal contact. Was asked for a skype interview, which lasted about 45 minutes. I was asked to come visit in SF for an array of face-to-face interviews. Traveled to SF for 7 hours worth of talks. Each interviewer(save one) had excellent questions and extremely useful comments regarding the company. Final interview consisted of a presentation of my work and ideas for how I would fit in with the company.

The thing I appreciated the most about the interview process was the honesty and candidness of the employees and employers. I felt like I could be myself and upfront about who I was/what I wanted. I also felt like they weren't afraid to be honest.

Interview Question – The technical question was fine, but they really want good solutions with lots of thought, not just the obvious. Interview questions varied between standard tricky algorithm questions, and super open ended questions to assess critical thinking.   Answer Question

Director, Product Management Interview

Director, Product Management
Emeryville, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Aspera in June 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Later invited for a 1:1 with the hiring manager. The 1:1 with the hiring manager was a cat and mouse game which went on for a while revolving around this one question "We need to make one product that fits all our customers - how do we do that?".

I found him to be non-technical and lacking patience to understand my product or the innovations that I have brought to the market. Did not completely understand the difference between Iaas/Paas/Saas and bracketed everything as 'cloud' and confused things back and forth. The whole interview started with "What can you do for us?". Gave one product idea and his eyes lit up - everything else needed a wide receiver - just flew over his head.

Not willing or not able to give more information about the sudden hiring need for a product management person - they are doing quite well without PM bureaucrats ( as far as I can tell googling a private firm ).

Glad I didn't get the offer. Working for him would reduce my life by 20 years. Way too strung up.

And no, after all that human interaction , I got an automatic email from the 'system' ; the recruiter and HR person should have called or sent me an email. Please trust us to at least handle rejection. I see this happening with other interviews at this firm - a rather weak policy.

Interview Question – What can you do for us ?   View Answer

QA Engineer Interview

QA Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Aspera.

Interview Details – I was contacted by their recruiter, and then had a 30 minute phone screen that actually ran long (always a good sign). They asked me to do a technical challenge which I received later that same day. They wanted it back within a few days (1 - 2, but that fell over a weekend, so I had until Monday).

I spent all day Saturday away from my family working on the challenge (create a file containing test results culled from text log files and XML files that were somewhat inconsistent in their location and content). It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world, but it certainly worked, and worked quickly, and was only about 150 lines long and that included comments on how to use it, etc. A few days later, I get the brush off via email. I was very surprised. I could understand if I didn't finish the task or didn't do what they asked, but it did everything they wanted. I would have really liked to know what they found so unacceptable about code, written in a day, that made them reject my application. My wish is that companies understand the challenges involved in spending hours and hours to fulfill application requirements like these, when one is already employed and has a family and may not have the free time required for something like this. Also, being much much clearer around what they're looking for from this would have helped.

Interview Question – None of the interview questions were especially difficult. I was surprised by the amount of work needed to fulfill the technical challenge   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Aspera.

Interview Details – The HR is really unprofessional. Scheduled technical interview. Always no phone calls except the unprofessional hr. Only one phone tech interview, 15 mins, like a hr interview.

Interview Question – N/A. All easy questions.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Aspera.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a programming challenge question from a HR. The HR called me without appointment I missed call but got a voice message told me that I did the chellange very very well. The recruiter didn't call me at the appointment time. And in next week I got a HR phone interview finnally and be told development team will give me tech interview in next step. But get rejection today.

Interview Question – no difficult question. challenge is find the longest word in a file.   View Answers (2)

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Aspera in June 2013.

Interview Details – Same as the previous interview question, find the longest concatenated words.
The complexity of this assignment was the only part I enjoyed in the whole interview process, however this problem was used originally as an interview question for Amazon.com

Interview Question – This coding challenge was not trivial, as there is a memory issue when parsing and doing permutation on a huge amount of records they provided.   View Answers (2)

Worked for Aspera? Contribute to the Community!