Aspera Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

2.8

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Aspera.

Applied Online before checking previous feed back on GlassDoor. They sent me a coding test (must be an automated system that does this). I sent them a nice email explaining the difference between a Sales Engineer and Software Engineer. Sales Engineers do not write code!! If they want everyone to write code there must have major issues with their products. Seems to be an emotionally unstable place to be. More about feelings than facts.

Interview Questions
    • Waste your time writing free code for a possibility of being hired.   Answer Question

Automation Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Aspera in January 2015.

Recruiter was very nice. She talked about school life with me and asked my expected salary, etc.

One phone screen and coding challenge and one phone technical interview. Then got rejected.

Phone interviewer was late and unfriendly and impatient. After the interview I don't want to work for them anymore.

I was asked a bunch non-algorithmic questions, some of them sounds weird to me.

Interview Questions
    • Code challenge: longest word, you can find online, solve within 2 days

Phone interview:
      how do you make sure a new VM will have exactly same configuration with the old one, do you use any tool? what might go wrong?
      how do you connect to a machine given hostname and user/password?
      why do you prefer java than c++, why java than python?
      given a project, how do you choose between java or python?
      how do you edit a file on shell?
      how do you find if a string exist in a file?
      how do you monitor a log file in realtime whether a string appear repeatedly?
      do you like visual studio? (this question is so weird)
      why do you like Intellij IDEA?
      what tool you would use to debug python/java code?
      what is unit test? what tools have you used for it?
      did you use any UI automation tool?

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Aspera in August 2014.

First gave me that word dictionary problem and let me did it over a weekend. Then got a behavior interview and I've enjoyed the phone conversation. Until here things worked well, except that the HR never tells me whether I've moved on to the next round, if I don't e-mail her myself.

After this behavior interview I am scheduled to talk with an engineer. This is where things go downward. The engineer did not call me at the scheduled time, so I e-mailed my HR to talk about it. About two hours later, I got an automated e-mail from another HR, saying that my interview is rescheduled. I was astonished that he did not even ask for my availability.
    So I was about to check my availability the next day, and then received another e-mail saying that my interview was rescheduled... and before I've said anything he sent me another scheduling e-mail again. After the third e-mail, I replied a harshly worded e-mail, saying that they should communicate with me before making any decisions on scheduling. Very quickly my first HR called me and apologized. We finally scheduled the interview over the phone.

However, the next time, the interviewer still did not call at the specified time. Fifteen minutes later my HR called me, said that he was on the phone with a client and asked me to wait for another 15 min. I waited for 30 min, still did not get the call, so I called back the HR to reschedule.

The third time (two weeks later), the engineer called 15 minutes after the scheduled time. Questioned me about the realization of HashMap, and the web development tools I have used. I admit that I screwed up the interview, since I am not familiar with a lot of the terminologies (like I basically know what kind of things Django or Ruby on Rails do, but I don't know exactly how these tools are called). I waited for two weeks and did not get an e-mail about the next steps so I e-mailed the HR last friday. Got rejection today, and was quite relieved that I would not need to spend my time with them again. Let's see... I started to do their first coding challenge on July 25. Today is Sep 22. This interviewing process is wearing me off.

Interview Questions
    • Very detailed questions about HashMap, HashTable, etc.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Aspera in May 2014.

The company has just been bought out by IBM, but the interview experience is the worst I've ever got. The technical interviewers are pretty nice. However, the higher level managers are arrogant and not open-minded enough. They basically don't care about your performance during the interviews. If you were chasing good background in the past years, maybe you can get better chances.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. But do not waste your time if you find they are not so seriously considering your candidacy.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Aspera in May 2014.

Recruiter sent the code challenge for first level screening. Giving 1~2 days to write the program in the language you claim as you skilled best. Submit the results and the code to be determined if goes to next round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Aspera in May 2014.

It included skill tests in 5 different skype interview. Questions were basic, logical and to test your fundamentals. They wanted to check your level in terms of clarity, logic and innovative approach.

Interview Questions
    • Matrix: Given a matrix: million x million I want sum of elements of a sub-matrix specified by 4 vertices (corners).

Our program will be calling this function multiple times with different regions.

Array [1,2,1,4,5,2,7,6,3,0,14,12] sum = 5 pairs = [1,4],[2,3],[5,0]

View Answer
    They offered me $40 / hr plus $2500 of relocation compensation. But I negotiated and was able to get $42/hr and $2500 relocation plus travel tickets.

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Aspera in March 2014.

Applied on Aspera's website. A few weeks later received the same challenge that everyone else here received to solve. I submitted it within two days. No feedback for two weeks. I followed up and they replied that they would like to move forward in the process. Had a phone call with their HR a few weeks later and no feedback again for a week. Again, I followed up and they scheduled an phone interview with one of their senior developers. Received rejection ten minutes after the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked questions about networking. While I don't blame him for it, I didn't mention anything about networking on my resume and based on his questions I doubt whether he even read my resume. Feel like a waste of time. He also mentioned the job is about 50% engineering and 50% customer support and requires some travel, something that the original job description didn't include at all. I don't know you, but I wouldn't assume an average software engineer position requires so much support and travel if the description doesn't explicitly points it out.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Aspera in March 2014.

Two interviews, one phone. Get invitation to go onsite, they allow me to do it over the phone. Finished the interview, never hear back, ask the hr, still no response. The engineers are nice and talented.

C/C++ Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Aspera in February 2014.

I applied online. Got a very good question to solve within 2 days. Then 3 rounds of phone interviews provided. First 2 rounds, no feedback at all. 3rd round, we scheduled for twice. Because they missed the interview for the first time. Then 2nd time for 3rd round interview, guess what, they forget a again. Being professional is a big deal for them.

Software Engineer, Research and Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Aspera in January 2014.

Applied through the website and through personal contact. Was asked for a skype interview, which lasted about 45 minutes. I was asked to come visit in SF for an array of face-to-face interviews. Traveled to SF for 7 hours worth of talks. Each interviewer(save one) had excellent questions and extremely useful comments regarding the company. Final interview consisted of a presentation of my work and ideas for how I would fit in with the company.

The thing I appreciated the most about the interview process was the honesty and candidness of the employees and employers. I felt like I could be myself and upfront about who I was/what I wanted. I also felt like they weren't afraid to be honest.

Interview Questions
    • The technical question was fine, but they really want good solutions with lots of thought, not just the obvious. Interview questions varied between standard tricky algorithm questions, and super open ended questions to assess critical thinking.   View Answer