Associated Press

Updated Jan 21, 2015
Updated Jan 21, 2015

2.7

Reporter Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Associated Press.

The interview was straightforward and friendly. I was asked about my journalism experience. It was more of a conversation than a grilling. Nobody tried to put me on the spot. I was asked about my approach to writing and reporting.

The Associated Press In New York Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Associated Press.

I had a phone interview, followed by an in-person interview. Met with two people and was at the office for over two hours to talk about the position. Then, radio silence. No response to follow-up e-mails inquiring about whether I was still in the running for the position. It's very unprofessional for them to not say a word -- a simple "thank you but we're not going to pursue you any further" would suffice. After I took a day off from work to go to their office, sit there for over two hours, and then travel back home in the pouring rain, the least they could do is acknowledge my e-mails. At least I know now what kind of people these are. Oh, and there was no mention of salary (not even a range). I bet the pay is very low.

Reporter Interview

The initial Interview was conducted by phone. There was also a writing test that was required, which covered current events as well as general structure and style. Some of the interview questions pertained to previous experience, clips and the usual strengths and weaknesses questions. The entire process was fairly straightforward.

Bureau Chief Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Associated Press.

The interview process was standard. Nothing peculiar or unexpected. I was invited to headquarters and asked to describe my work experience and qualifications. I had been highly recommended for the job before I got there, so this wasn't a stressful encounter. I think they knew they were going to hire me before I arrived.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't much to negotiate -- they had a take-it-or-leave-it approach.

Reporter Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Associated Press.

By phone, from an editor in Washington, D.C., who'd reviewed my resume and cover letter by email. Offering me the job, his salary negotiation was, "We pay scale. Do you want the job?" Thank goodness for the union (CWA) which at least set floors and got us 401K arrangements.

Interview Questions
    • Once they decide they want you, there is no negotiation over salary or terms, it's "take it or leave it."   Answer Question

Reporter Interview

Applied online on company website. For newsroom position, I had to take a writing and current affairs test that was fairly straightforward. I was asked what corrections I had in the past and what I learned from that experience. Questioned about my previous experience related to the job. Questioned about my clips and writing samples and whether I could work late and on weekends. Heard back from company within a couple weeks of interview.

Interview Questions
    • What were your previous reporting corrections and what happened as a result?   Answer Question

Human Resources Generalist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Associated Press.

Initial conversation was a phone interview. Which then led to three rounds of meeting with people from the team and other business partners

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest accomplishment - professionally or personally   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Associated Press.

Very professional communications from initial phone calls, emails, and in person interviews. Be very prepared with knowledge about the company and the current challenges facing media. Ability to describe your work background, clearly is important.

I had a phone screen with the HR person and then an in-person interview with the hiring manager and their boss. After that I came in again to meet with two others on the team. Ultimately I did not get the position but they called to let me know. I did follow up twice before I found out I was not selected.

Interview Questions
    • How has your analysis helped your current organization find a solution to a challenge confronting the business?   Answer Question

Vote Entry Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheney, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheney, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Associated Press in November 2012.

After I got the offer it was easy to get the job, just sign up online and show up an hour before to be interview.

Technology Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cranbury, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cranbury, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Associated Press in May 2012.

I got an email from a recruiter who scheduled an in person Interview with the the manager of the Team you applied for,

Interview Questions
    • He asked basic question about work experience and resume related to the job   Answer Question
    there was no negotiation, I got an offer letter, and the pay was reasonable