Associated Press

Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Administrator Interview

IT Administrator
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Associated Press in September 2011.

Interview Details – Good bunch of guys. Great bunch of guys. I feel they were very well organized and prepared to give me the interview. They showed me around before the interview started. I prefer this since this helps in telling the voices in my head to shut up, wondering if they would like me enough to show me around after the interview. Since they walked me around before, I wouldn't have to wonder, I just feel that these guys like everyone, and give everyone the tour and fair chance. And that feedback would come later.

Interview Question – Don't want to spoil anything, but it's a binary question.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Associated Press

Interview Details – The initial Interview was conducted by phone. There was also a writing test that was required, which covered current events as well as general structure and style. Some of the interview questions pertained to previous experience, clips and the usual strengths and weaknesses questions. The entire process was fairly straightforward.

Interview Question – Not much unexpected.   Answer Question

Bureau Chief Interview

Bureau Chief

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Associated Press.

Interview Details – The interview process was standard. Nothing peculiar or unexpected. I was invited to headquarters and asked to describe my work experience and qualifications. I had been highly recommended for the job before I got there, so this wasn't a stressful encounter. I think they knew they were going to hire me before I arrived.

Interview Question – I don't recall any unusually challenging questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much to negotiate -- they had a take-it-or-leave-it approach.

Interactive Producer Interview

Interactive Producer
Las Cruces, NM

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Associated Press in February 2012.

Interview Details – The process was long, I applied through the website and got the phone interview after a month. I started working two months after applying.

Interview Question – I had three different interviews and everyone was extremely nice to me.   Answer Question

Reporter

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Associated Press.

Interview Details – By phone, from an editor in Washington, D.C., who'd reviewed my resume and cover letter by email. Offering me the job, his salary negotiation was, "We pay scale. Do you want the job?" Thank goodness for the union (CWA) which at least set floors and got us 401K arrangements.

Interview Question – Once they decide they want you, there is no negotiation over salary or terms, it's "take it or leave it."   Answer Question

Interviewed at Associated Press

Interview Details – Applied online on company website. For newsroom position, I had to take a writing and current affairs test that was fairly straightforward. I was asked what corrections I had in the past and what I learned from that experience. Questioned about my previous experience related to the job. Questioned about my clips and writing samples and whether I could work late and on weekends. Heard back from company within a couple weeks of interview.

Interview Question – What were your previous reporting corrections and what happened as a result?   Answer Question

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Human Resources Generalist

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Associated Press.

Interview Details – Initial conversation was a phone interview. Which then led to three rounds of meeting with people from the team and other business partners

Interview Question – What is your greatest accomplishment - professionally or personally   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Associated Press.

Interview Details – Very professional communications from initial phone calls, emails, and in person interviews. Be very prepared with knowledge about the company and the current challenges facing media. Ability to describe your work background, clearly is important.

I had a phone screen with the HR person and then an in-person interview with the hiring manager and their boss. After that I came in again to meet with two others on the team. Ultimately I did not get the position but they called to let me know. I did follow up twice before I found out I was not selected.

Interview Question – How has your analysis helped your current organization find a solution to a challenge confronting the business?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Vote Entry Clerk Interview

Vote Entry Clerk
Cheney, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Associated Press in November 2012.

Interview Details – After I got the offer it was easy to get the job, just sign up online and show up an hour before to be interview.

Technology Associate Interview

Technology Associate
Cranbury, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Associated Press in May 2012.

Interview Details – I got an email from a recruiter who scheduled an in person Interview with the the manager of the Team you applied for,

Interview Question – He asked basic question about work experience and resume related to the job   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation, I got an offer letter, and the pay was reasonable

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Associated Press? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Associated Press interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Associated Press employees and interview candidates.