Association of Public Health Laboratories

www.aphl.org

Association of Public Health Laboratories Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Association of Public Health Laboratories

Senior Specialist Interview

The interview process consisted of three phases, a phone screen and two in-person interviews. The phone screen was entirely performed by HR. The in-person interviews were conducted by members of the team associated with the position and supervisors. All three interviews were conducted from a specific list of questions, which is exactly the same for every candidate. Most of them seem to be geared toward addressing your experiences and how you handled events in the past, but some are also about current understanding of the field and some more typical interview questions. The whole process was straightforward and fair, although it did take quite a long time to hear from them about feedback and when they were going to make a decision.

Interview Questions
    • I was surprised at how scripted the interviews were. Although everyone was extremely nice and earnest, there was very little (if any) deviation from what was written on their list. I understand that they were trying to compare candidates as accurately as possible, but it did make the interview feel somewhat stilted.   Answer Question

Specialislt Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Association of Public Health Laboratories in January 2013.

I received a phone call to schedule a phone interview, which we conducted the following day. It lasted 20-30 minutes and was awkward in spots. The HR individual I was speaking with didn't have an excellent command of the English language, and personally, it was difficult to gauge responses due to her abilities. She was very polite and friendly, though unable to answer any additional questions about the position. The questions themselves had very little to do with the job & frankly, I think most of them could be thrown out entirely in favor of more pertinent questions.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult, but bizarre: "Have you ever been morally lost or not known what to do?"   Answer Question
    • What does it mean to you to be part of a professional society?   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Association of Public Health Laboratories in December 2012.

The interview consisted of 3 parts, 1. a phone screen 2. a phone interview and 3. an in-person interview. For the third and final interview the APHL paid for my travel expenses so that was nice. Everything was very organized and efficient.

None.

Marketing & Membership Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Association of Public Health Laboratories in January 2012.

Overall I found this interview process slow moving and of limited productivity for everyone involved. But, I guess I learned form it so it was not a total loss.

I applied online and attempted to find a contact in this company who could also deliver my resume and cover letter to the hiring manager. I was super excited about this organizations and the job. All my research showed this is a fine organization and extremely reputable. One I would be proud to work for and use all my talents to help accomplish their goals and objectives.

I finally did receive a call from HR and had a very easy phone screen. Nothing difficult was asked, however the HR person was not able to answer any of my questions. Even the most basic. I also notice the job description could have been more descriptive about defining "their products". I finally was told the "products" are securing participants for events and educational conferences.

This phone screen was followed by being invited in for a panel interview. Upon hindsight, I find this extremely odd that the hiring manager did not want to at least spend the time to have a phone conversation first with me, esp given the HR Screen was so minimum.

I went into the interview excited, but found this format extremely difficult when answering their questions because of the different levels of personnel in the room. The audience included my manager-to-be, two of my would-be direct reports and an HR development person. The HR screener did not feel it necessary to even meet me.

I would have much preferred a one-on-one with my would-be manager before this grilling so 1) I could gauge if I really wanted to work for this person and 2) she could privately tell me what she really needed out of this position. Obviously the conversation was difficult and leading with the panel interview put the candidate in a very blind situation. I went with it the best I could. Word to the wise, if faced with this in the future I advise answering the question to the particular person who asked it and don;t worry about others in the room may think. It was not their questions. Also, be quick and say as little as possible. I felt there was some other agenda than trying to get to know me and assess the cultural fit as one usually is doing by the time you are meeting this number and various levels of interviewers.

After three follow up attempts by me to both the HR screener and my Manager-to-be, I received an appropriately worded "passing" email from the HR screener, who by the way did not ever attempt to receive the signed paperwork from me.

Right around this time I saw a much lower level position being advertised inthe Membership Department, so I am wondering if they downgraded the job that I was interviewing for.

Overall my impression is that due to the odd lack of normal interviewing protocol, there could be could lead to not-the-normal HR practices overall so maybe this is not the great organization that I thought it was. NEXT.

Interview Questions
    • How ave you overcome a challenging situation in the past?   View Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Association of Public Health Laboratories in May 2009.

APHL's initial phone interview is a standardized quick screen rather than a true interview, but that doesn't mean you can't blow it. I was fortunate to be interviewed. The process involves a group interview, which may include 2 to 5 staff of various levels. Successful candidates usually have a second interview; there may be more than one person reach this stage. The input from all people on the panel is considered but the hiring manager has final selection. Interviews are very fair; standardized questions are written for the position and used for each candidate. The second panel may ask different questions, though they will be same questions for all candidates. Since accepting I can say I have seen APHL as the most inclusive employer I've ever known: candidates are considered for professional qualifications but also fit in terms of attitude, energy, etc. Many different personality styles, backgrounds (including nationality or descent), and work styles make up the staff--it is truly diverse. HR dept is excellent; they are clear about the hiring process and information is provided up front. Very positive culture, very collaborative and empowering.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is the most pressing problem(s) facing public health today?   View Answer
    • Give an example of how something (eg a project) did not go as planned. What was the situation, what were your actions & the outcome?   View Answer
    A budget is a budget. APHL keeps a pulse on the nonprofit environment and has a fair compensation schedule. If you can't negotiate the pay you want, be advised that the benefits are great, with very low cost or paid insurances, decent leave, and great retirement contribution.