Astellas Pharma US Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.1

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Santa Monica, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Had a phone interview with an HR person, followed by a phone interview with the two hiring managers. I never received any contact info other than the HR person. I followed up with her, she said she would get back to me and then never did.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions about experience, including what technique would require the most training for me (e.g. what would they have to teach me)   Answer Question

Functional Area Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Northbrook, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

Great phone screen with recruiter. A week later an hour phone interview with the hiring manager. A week later came on site for a series of in person and t-com interviews with an interviewer in Europe. Five hours from start to end. Everyone was very transparent. Everything I was told would happen, did happen as they said it would in the time I was told to expect. People seemed happy to be there. No "gotcha" questions.

Interview Questions

• Situational questions to suss out how you would handle staff issues and change management   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated salary. Get as much as you possibly can because, though benefits and bonus are generous, annual increases are surprisingly minimal compared to other pharma companies

Regulatory Submissions Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Northbrook, IL) in August 2013.

Interview

I was called by a recruiter for a short phone interview. We discussed basic questions like why Astellas, and why I wanted to leave my current job. She asked me what I currently make, and what I am looking to make at Astellas. A few days later, i was called by a different HR member, and told that the hiring managers wanted to do a phone interview. It was only about 30 minutes, very pleasant, and the questions were general. A few days later, I got an email that told me that I have an in-person interview, which was from 9a-330p. It was a long day, I met with all kinds of people, from associates who I would be working with, to Directors and VPs. I was in one room, and the different interviewers came to me. The coordinators were very nice, offering me water and breaks. It was exhausting, but I thought it went as well as I could have imagined. Two weeks after I interviewed, I found out via email (after reaching out for an update) that they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience in a sorority in undergrad.   Answer Question

Medical Director Interview

Interview

Telephone only

Supply Chain Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

Phone screening interview with HR first, then hiring manager, then on-site interview with 5 individuals, and finally a last interview with the VP of the area. Very organized and friendly.

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newburgh, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Newburgh, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

I had a phone screen with standard compliance questions from a third party service hired by the organization. Then a phone screen with hiring manager and then to an in-person interview with hiring manager followed by an interview with the sales director. The total timeline was three weeks before offer was presented. It was then followed by an extensive background check, which is standard for the industry.

Interview Questions

• Utilize the STAR format for answers. How do you overcome objections? What motivates you to succeed?   Answer Question

Senior Pharmaceutical Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Greenville, NC) in March 2010.

Interview

Spoke with District Manager and rep being groomed for management track. Entailed the typical questions, what motivates you, what is your greatest strength, what are you proudest of, what is your biggest weakness, etc. They were especially interested in what my salary was at my previous job, not as much about the incentives I earned. I got the impression that was their key 'weed out' criteria for this round of interviews.

Hospital Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (San Francisco, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

It was clear that the manager wanted someone younger for the job--I suspect that there is a level of age discrimination that is at work at Astellas.

Interview Questions

• The disadvantage of all of my experience   1 Answer
    • Being laid off would be a good thing because it would allow a lot of free time.   1 Answer

Staff Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Redwood City, CA) in March 2009.

Interview

Hiring manager will phone screen top resumes then call those of interest in for a whole/half day interview dependent upon level. Offer will be extended by hiring manager by phone with opportunity for negotiation prior to written offer being extended.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to overcome a challenge and how you tackled that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was based on competitive external and internal salary ranges for that position level.

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Deerfield, IL) in January 2009.

Interview

My recruiter contacted me and set up a telephone interview. 2 days later I was asked to come in to the office. My interview started at 9:00am and ended at 12:35. The first 3 interviews were 1 on 1. That last 2 interviews was a 2 person tag team with a total of 7 people having interviewed me. The receptionist was quite chatty and a little irritating but I was nice to her because she represented the face of the company. A project coordinator was sent to pick me up and she was quite nice, assuring me that everyone I would be meeting were good people. It's a long walk from reception to the interviewing offices. I looked around and everyone semed quite busy. No one looked up as we walked past. The first 2 interviewers were smiling , asked me about my day, traffic etc... but the 3rd interviewer had a very serious face. She did not smile at all however I believe the interview went well. The last four people who interviewd me were the big guns and their questioning was intense. We spoke about CRF design, ICF templates, contracts, GCP, etc...all the technical stuff. It's important to go in knowing the detail of what you do. Presentation is important and be able to flow from small talk to technical talk. Smile and express yourself with confidence. The interviewers are not intimidating but they do want to know that you are knowledgeable. When the interview was finished They told me they would be maing a decision within 2 weeks however within 30 minutes I received a call from my recruiter saying they wanted to make an offer.

Interview Questions

• Who do you admire most and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

My salary was already pre-negotiated.