Astoria Financial

Updated Aug 16, 2014

2.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at Astoria Financial

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Success, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Astoria Financial.

I was initially interviewed by a recruiter from HR. He asked my a series of questions to better understand me, my past experiences with sales and customer service. At the end of the interview he informed me that I would be a good fit for the Teller position but would have to wait until a part time position in my area would need a Teller.

Two weeks later I was called regarding a position in a near by town. I was interviewed by the Branch Manager and the Supervisor. They asked me about my past experiences with sales and customer service. They did not tell me right away that I secured the position.

Later that day I was called by my recruiter and was informed that I secured the position. The person from HR told me to attend the next orientation, which was held on Monday.

During orientation I learned more about Astoria and was informed of my training site.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions regarding the Teller position will be about your past sales, customer service and cash handling experiences. You are expected to have outstanding customer service skills, you are expected to be sales driven and competitive, and have past cash handling experience.   Answer Question
    No negotiations were eligible for me. If you have a lot of experience they may offer you a higher annual salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kew Gardens, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kew Gardens, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Astoria Financial in January 2013.

Received a call to go to it's headquarters in long island to interview with the HR recruiter. Had to take a simple math exam which I think was 30 mins timed. Met with the HR recruiter, she basically reviewed my resume with me and explained the position. This bank is a sales based bank, the most important thing to them is making sales. The HR recruiter had to perform a credit check on me before setting me up on an interview with the branch manager. She then set me up to have an interview with the branch manager and assistant manager. When I met with the branch manager and assistant manager they asked me the same old interview questions tell me a little about yourself, what were your job duties at your last employer, she then started asking me all these ridiculous behavioral questions about what to do in this type of situation, and if your co worker didn't know what she was doing what would you do etc. She then also explained to me that this bank is all about sales, that's the most important thing to them, and it doesn't go by the quantity of accounts you open it all matters by how much revenue u bring into the bank ridiculous because that branch was dead. She then made it seem as if I had the job because she started asking me personal questions which also had to do with performing this job. She also started going on and on about her previous job working for another company and I was pretty much thinking to myself okay lady your not with that company anymore.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Success, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Astoria Financial in February 2011.

Got a call from a recruiter who had my resume. Wondered if the bank knew what they really were looking for. Felt a bit uneasy about the entire process. The company did not appear to be very marketing oriented, more like it was trying to compete on the basis of having multiple locations than on the basis of a brand identity or other product differentiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Astoria Financial in July 2010.

Well, it was sort of informal interview - meeting with a branch manager to find out if there is any possibility to be considered for a position at that particular branch or elsewhere in the bank's structure. We had about 30 minutes of conversation and at the end I was told that they're going to review my resume and would get back to me in a week. However, I wasn't too excited, because I was told that the salary range is going to be around $24-26K per year (base salary).

Compensation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Success, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Astoria Financial in July 2010.

The women who interviewed me were both extremely nice. They gave a lot of information about the company i.e. benefits, job expectaions, etc. They made me feel at ease and were not condecending. They asked questions like "What did you do at your previous company?" Instead of " What are your weaknesses"

Telephone Banking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Success, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Astoria Financial in June 2010.

I a 1-on-1 interview with someone in HR, the woman was very smiley and pleasant. She asked the standard interview questions with an emphasis on customer service. She then informed me that there WOULD be a drug test that I had to go down the street to a small medical office to complete. After I submitted my urine sample to the medical assistant there, I was free to go, and if I passed, I'd hear back from them. Needless to say, I passed.

Interview Questions
    • How would you respond to an irate customer within a two-minute time limit?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oceanside, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oceanside, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Astoria Financial in January 2009.

when they get your resume, one of the HR people call you for your telephone interview including your prefrences. If you pass that they schedule you for an interview at the Lake Success office. When you get to the back office they make you do a mathematical logic test and then you are interviewed and informed by the branch interview process and the kind of questions asked by managers. They call you back for a branch math and an interview with the respective manager. at the branch ususally one of the managers and both the supervisors interview you. the HR calls you if you are offered the job and the pay. and its up to you to accept it or reject it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Astoria Financial in January 2008.

Short exam involving currency, and basic mathematics. Followed up by a one on one interview.

Not available

Personal Banker Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Astoria Financial in September 2012.

Phone Interview, interview with a recruiter, interview with a branch manager.

Interview Questions
    • questions are pretty simple, nothing that you would not expect to be asked at an interview   Answer Question

Teller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Astoria Financial in April 2010.

Math test. Recruiter interview. Branch interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if your supervior tells you to do something that your suppost to do?   View Answer