Asuragen

www.asuragen.com
  www.asuragen.com

Asuragen Interview Questions

Scientist I Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Asuragen in March 2014.

Called me a few days after I submitted my application, scheduled an interview time. Next day called me. Two interviewers. Both could barely speak english, I could not understand them well. Asking same questions over and over. One interviewer asked some technical questions and I answered them all well. She seemed angry at this. both interviewers seemed angry, not sure why. They kept looking for a reason to reject me, and asked me retarded questions. Whjenever I answered they seemed angry. I would ask, "did I answer your question" and they would say, yes, but then made some "ummmm" sound.

I got rejected. And the job was open for over a month, I can see that most people probably get rejected. It looks like their only goal is to reject people.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly stupid questions were asked. Technical, good for nothing questions, like, what type of RT PCR, describe cells you used, describe gel smears etc. Nothing interesting or useful. I am not sure why they were so angry and obnoxious.

I could not even understand what they were saying. They seemed angry when I asked them to repeat.
        Answer Question

LIMS Administrator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Asuragen in August 2013.

Submitted my resume through proper on-line channels. No response. Resubmitted my resume via an individual and was called for a phone screen. During the phone screen, the interviewer described the position and was complimentary of my experience. He asked a series of questions that were related to LIMS administration or project management but were mostly DBA-based skills. I asked a series of questions about the company, the LIMS project strategy, internal clients needs and IT philosophy. Interview seemed put off by the questions. We discussed a follow up interview, but I received no response after several attempts to contact him.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a SQL statement to locate and replace improperly formatted data in a database.   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Asuragen in May 2012.

Professional experience with recruiting firm.

Network Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Asuragen in July 2011.

Got a call back to schedule a 30 minute phone screening with their IT director about two weeks after applying. The phone screening went well, mostly covering my work history and experience and goals. The only odd things were when he asked what salary I was looking for upfront and I was told they were looking to replace a Database Administrator. They wanted someone with networking experience for the job as well, but weren't getting any suitable candidates with that job title, so they changed it. This is weird because I AM NOT IN ANY WAY A DBA. But the rest of the interview goes well and we agreed to schedule a 2 hour interview a few days later.

I arrived and was promptly met by the IT Director who showed me around the facility, the server room, wiring closet and IT area before we went to his tiny cubbyhole office for a 1:1 interview. We mostly discussed our respective backgrounds in more detail. Then I met with two scientific computation developers while the IT Director sat in and we talked about managing Ubuntu desktops with puppet and grid computing management. I thought it went OK, but they seemed to be looking for someone with, yet again, more database administration and development experience.

Next I met with two members of their IT team; a windows admin and I believe the other guy was a front end web developer. The windows admin said very little, and the other guy almost nothing. I had to really lead the conversation, but I'm fine with that and just started asking them questions about their network and infrastructure. I thought this part went pretty well.

After that the IT director showed me around the rest of the office, which was lots of medium height grey cubicles. I should also mention at this point that the IT offices were assymetrical trapezoidal tiny rooms about the size of a master bedroom's closet.

We shook hands and when I asked when I'd hear back he said that the thought the interview went really well and I should hear back some time next week.

About a week later with no word later I send him an email thanking him for the interview and asking him if there were any more questions I could answer, how the hiring process was going, and with a list of specific technical questions I would have asked, time permitting. He says we should schedule a lunch interview that Friday, so we work out a time and place.

Now this is where my only real complaint comes in. A few hours before we're supposed to meet on Friday he emails me to cancel saying they're being audited, and can we reschedule for next week. I say no problem, I completely understand, next week is fine with me. A week goes by and I don't hear from him so I send him an email asking how the audit is going, if the hiring process is on hold because of the audit or if there's a problem and I CC the generic HR address. Maybe he's busy and they can answer.

A week goes by with not a word back, and I've got another job prospect that's looking good, so I send another email asking how things are going, and tell them without some kind of communication soon if I get an offer from this other job I won't be able to wait on them to make a offer. I get a canned response email back an hour later saying I wasn't chosen.

I'm still not entirely sure what to make of the last two weeks of that, but I was legitimately interested in working there.

Interview Questions
    • What security concerns do you have when deploying Perl code as a web service?   View Answer

Scientist II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Asuragen in March 2009.

professional

After the interview, the HR uses the tactic of going on vacation so she will not have to negotiate with you, you will get fed up trying to contact her and finally, she says they cannot raise the bar............ take it or leave it