Atkins

3.1

Program Director-Energy/Oil and Gas/Environmental Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Atkins in October 2013.

Was approached by Atkins directly based on a mutual business association and met informally to discuss position to provide leadership in the Denver office where Atkins has limited or no presence in the competitive Denver energy market. After initial meeting, met with some staff in the Denver office (old PBS&J) for conversation and lunch. The supposed "hiring manager" for environmental services for the Western was located in Fort Worth and failed to make the scheduled conference call while I was in the interview. Interview was delegated to another program manager in another program who was located in Portland, OR.

Follow-up was abysmal, and in the end, a total waste of my time. The "Hiring Manager" (aka Western Regional Manager) never followed up on providing me basic benefits information (I had to ask repeatedly), never provided a job description (even though I was asked to write one and send it), called me 55 minutes late when we had scheduled yet another conference call, failed to come through on five requests for information, and above all, didn't have the authority to make me a salary offer without gaining approval from a Senior Vice President located in the Atkins North America HQ in Tampa, a person the "hiring manager" admitted he couldn't remember if he had ever met.

My reference check was done by the aforementioned program manager.

When I finally was contacted, I was told an offer letter was in the works, but the program manager, a peer, began negotiating with me on salary and what my expected billable time would be. Rule no. 1 of negotiations: Never negotiate with those who don't have the power to do so, especially in contract negotiations. When the offer letter finally arrived 5 days after I was told it would, there was a salary offer (at the very bottom of the range), but it was unsigned and had absolutely no benefits information/offer, no employee handbook to review, and no clauses that I might review with my attorney. The coup de gras was that the "offer" came from the aforementioned program manager (presumably a peer and only 1 year of actual consulting experience) with an additional request for my "current clients and dollar value of work, and my perspective client list and their value."

On advisement of my legal counsel, I countered with a request for a signed offer letter along with a requirement to receive the proposed benefits package, bonus and performance structure, and an agreement that I would provide client contacts (they had already spoken to some who I used as references). I received no response to my counter and after three emails and leaving two voicemails, and another voicemail to the aforementioned program manager in Portland, I received a call from the "Hiring Manager/Regional Program Manager telling me that Atkins was uncertain about being able to hire me without putting undue billable pressure on me. All this after Atkins let junior staff know that I was being hired to lead and develop business and mentor them in Denver.

Interview Questions
    • How billable can you be on Day One? Softball questions that seemed to indicate they didn't have any vision or direction.   Answer Question

Atkins is in a major whirlwind and reorganization after acquiring PBS&J and the landscape seems to change daily. It seems like there is horrendously poor communication, lack of vision, and generally poor leadership in North America. I'm genuinely impressed with Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger, who is a leading mind in complex systems theory. Apparently, the ability to think at that level hasn't transferred over from London to leadership in Tampa and elsewhere within Atkins North America.

Several months ago, there was an article on Linked-In about the six signs that indicate why you might want to decline an opportunity. Atkins hit them all. I'd avoid them like the plague, or at least until they straighten out where they are going.

Total waste of my time.

Senior Civil Site Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Atkins in August 2013.

First, one applies on-line. Then after a phone interview on is called in for a face to face with two Sr. Project Managers. The interviewers were both professional and polite. Note that this is a large firm with my initial interface was with HR in Atlanta. One can feel the "big firm" mentality. Whether this is a good or bad thing is up to the individual.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were difficult or unexpected. They were rightfully concerned over my technical capabilities.   Answer Question

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Atkins.

The first interview was a technical interview almost 45 mins long. Questions were behavioral and mostly related to my thesis work.
    On-site interview went on the whole day. I was asked to give a technical presentation during which a lot of presentation based questions were asked. I was interviewed by a group of employed engineers first and then by 3 managers separately. Overall it was all resume based and not very difficult.

Aerospace Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Atkins in May 2012.

It was approximately 1 hour and a half. I received the interview through an on campus informational session with Atkins. The position mainly dealt with stress analysis of airplane wings. When you first come in they give you three sheets of paper with a question on each of them. The remaining time is spent on behavioral questions and finding more about your personality.

Interview Questions
    • There were questions on buoyancy, simply supported beams, and a situational question where you are given two straps and asked where to place them on a member to lift it safely without breaking. (I interviewed with a civil background). My aero buddies say they were giving questions on a ball rolling down a hill of some sort and were asked questions about the dynamics of it. Be sure to know all about drag, lift, and buoyancy if you are aero of course!   View Answer

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Atkins in April 2009.

After I submitted my resume on the company website, I got an email invitation to schedule a phone interview.

My phone interview was with only one person, and lasted about 30 minutes. I was told that I would hear back in 2-3 days.

After two days, I got another email invitation to schedule a personal interview. There was only one personal interview. I got their response three days after the interview

Architect I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Atkins in April 2008.

Process involved an interview at the office, 2 people interviewed me. Staff were nice and seemed happy, good team atmosphere (sign of good work culture). I got the impression talking to other staff at the time you could get all your IDP experience completed within 2 years, not sure if it would be the same in today's economy. Nice spacious office layout, though be it in an industrial park. Job offer arrived promptly by courier the following week.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions were nothing out of the ordinary, although afterwards they have you sit at a table and fill out an application form, which I found a bit strange for a professional salaried position. You have to complete work and educational history with addresses and dates, phone numbers, previous salary etc - not the sort of details you generally have on hand at an interview.   Answer Question

The offer was fair. It was one of several offers I received, it was a difficult decision, but the main reason for declining was experiencing first hand the commuter traffic around Orlando. Also there was nothing nearby that you could walk to, had the office been downtown rather than in an office park, I would likely have taken it.

Graduate Safety Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Atkins.

It got an interview in few days after my application and the recruiter fixed a day very soon after his phone call. The interview comprises 4 major tests which takes 6 hours to finish all the steps. It was an exhausting interview.

Interview Questions
    • They have a very hard judgmental tests, which takes lots of time to read the whole situations as well as answering the questions.   Answer Question

Civil Engineering Graduate Scheme Interview

First stage, psychometric testing.
    Verbal reasoning test comprising of 24 questions, 4 for each passage.
    Following was a numerical amplitude also 24 questions firstly a quite interesting sequence problem using the alphabet and after that, simple ratios and area questions. Achieved passing score and waiting for the next stage.

Ingénieur diplômé Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grenoble (France)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grenoble (France)

(Translated from English)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Atkins in May 2014.

Après avoir rempli sur le site Atkins un formulaire avec des questions de ressources humaines et un curriculum vitae, j'ai été contacté par e-mail pour passer un test psychométrique comprenant la numératie et des tests verbaux.

Le test dure 45 minutes durant lesquelles j'ai répondu aux 24 questions de la partie numératie et aux 20 questions de la partie verbale.

After filling a form on Atkins website including HR questions, and a resumé, I've been contacted by mail to pass a psychometric test including Numeracy and verbal tests.
    Test lasts 45 mins in which I answered for 24 questions in numeracy part and 20 questions in the verbal part.

Interview Questions
    • La partie verbale étaient difficile.   The verbal part was difficult   Answer Question

Graduate Nuclear Engineer Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Atkins in May 2014.

I applied for the position in the middle ease which involves 4 steps: online application, numerical reasoning and verbal test, a phone interview and a technical interview which is either in person or on the phone.
    The online application is fairly details, regarding your interest in the position and how your skill will help you.
    The online test was not especially challenging, but it requires a cool head and quick thinking. Even according to Atkins you usually won't be able to finish it.
    After the test, I received an email saying that I passed the test and I would received a call within 12 week to discuss my application. I never did receive that call and 16 weeks later my application which was 'under review', changed to inactive.
    Contact channels were useless. They did not reply to my email and a call was just a rather blunt receptionist telling don't call or email.

Interview Questions
    • Pie chart with numerical values and you need to determine the unknown percentage   Answer Question
    • If there is an employees name for each alphabet and E and G repeat twice and thrice respectively. First employee is assigned number 46, what will be the sequential number of employee name starting with J? (Note: it's not the exact question, but something along these lines)   Answer Question