Atkins

Very Easy Interview

Program Director-Energy/Oil and Gas/Environmental Interview

Program Director-Energy/Oil and Gas/Environmental
Denver, CO

I applied through other source and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Atkins in October 2013.

Interview Details – Was approached by Atkins directly based on a mutual business association and met informally to discuss position to provide leadership in the Denver office where Atkins has limited or no presence in the competitive Denver energy market. After initial meeting, met with some staff in the Denver office (old PBS&J) for conversation and lunch. The supposed "hiring manager" for environmental services for the Western was located in Fort Worth and failed to make the scheduled conference call while I was in the interview. Interview was delegated to another program manager in another program who was located in Portland, OR.

Follow-up was abysmal, and in the end, a total waste of my time. The "Hiring Manager" (aka Western Regional Manager) never followed up on providing me basic benefits information (I had to ask repeatedly), never provided a job description (even though I was asked to write one and send it), called me 55 minutes late when we had scheduled yet another conference call, failed to come through on five requests for information, and above all, didn't have the authority to make me a salary offer without gaining approval from a Senior Vice President located in the Atkins North America HQ in Tampa, a person the "hiring manager" admitted he couldn't remember if he had ever met.

My reference check was done by the aforementioned program manager.

When I finally was contacted, I was told an offer letter was in the works, but the program manager, a peer, began negotiating with me on salary and what my expected billable time would be. Rule no. 1 of negotiations: Never negotiate with those who don't have the power to do so, especially in contract negotiations. When the offer letter finally arrived 5 days after I was told it would, there was a salary offer (at the very bottom of the range), but it was unsigned and had absolutely no benefits information/offer, no employee handbook to review, and no clauses that I might review with my attorney. The coup de gras was that the "offer" came from the aforementioned program manager (presumably a peer and only 1 year of actual consulting experience) with an additional request for my "current clients and dollar value of work, and my perspective client list and their value."

On advisement of my legal counsel, I countered with a request for a signed offer letter along with a requirement to receive the proposed benefits package, bonus and performance structure, and an agreement that I would provide client contacts (they had already spoken to some who I used as references). I received no response to my counter and after three emails and leaving two voicemails, and another voicemail to the aforementioned program manager in Portland, I received a call from the "Hiring Manager/Regional Program Manager telling me that Atkins was uncertain about being able to hire me without putting undue billable pressure on me. All this after Atkins let junior staff know that I was being hired to lead and develop business and mentor them in Denver.

Interview Question – How billable can you be on Day One? Softball questions that seemed to indicate they didn't have any vision or direction.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Atkins is in a major whirlwind and reorganization after acquiring PBS&J and the landscape seems to change daily. It seems like there is horrendously poor communication, lack of vision, and generally poor leadership in North America. I'm genuinely impressed with Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger, who is a leading mind in complex systems theory. Apparently, the ability to think at that level hasn't transferred over from London to leadership in Tampa and elsewhere within Atkins North America.

Several months ago, there was an article on Linked-In about the six signs that indicate why you might want to decline an opportunity. Atkins hit them all. I'd avoid them like the plague, or at least until they straighten out where they are going.

Total waste of my time.

Senior Civil Site Engineer Interview

Senior Civil Site Engineer
Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Atkins in August 2013.

Interview Details – First, one applies on-line. Then after a phone interview on is called in for a face to face with two Sr. Project Managers. The interviewers were both professional and polite. Note that this is a large firm with my initial interface was with HR in Atlanta. One can feel the "big firm" mentality. Whether this is a good or bad thing is up to the individual.

Interview Question – No questions were difficult or unexpected. They were rightfully concerned over my technical capabilities.   Answer Question

Graduate Consultant Interview

Graduate Consultant
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Atkins.

Interview Details – The first interview was a technical interview almost 45 mins long. Questions were behavioral and mostly related to my thesis work.
On-site interview went on the whole day. I was asked to give a technical presentation during which a lot of presentation based questions were asked. I was interviewed by a group of employed engineers first and then by 3 managers separately. Overall it was all resume based and not very difficult.

Aerospace Engineer Interview

Aerospace Engineer
Kirkland, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Atkins in May 2012.

Interview Details – It was approximately 1 hour and a half. I received the interview through an on campus informational session with Atkins. The position mainly dealt with stress analysis of airplane wings. When you first come in they give you three sheets of paper with a question on each of them. The remaining time is spent on behavioral questions and finding more about your personality.

Interview Question – There were questions on buoyancy, simply supported beams, and a situational question where you are given two straps and asked where to place them on a member to lift it safely without breaking. (I interviewed with a civil background). My aero buddies say they were giving questions on a ball rolling down a hill of some sort and were asked questions about the dynamics of it. Be sure to know all about drag, lift, and buoyancy if you are aero of course!   View Answer

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Atkins in April 2009.

Interview Details – After I submitted my resume on the company website, I got an email invitation to schedule a phone interview.

My phone interview was with only one person, and lasted about 30 minutes. I was told that I would hear back in 2-3 days.

After two days, I got another email invitation to schedule a personal interview. There was only one personal interview. I got their response three days after the interview

Interview Questions

Assistant Landscape Designer Interview

Assistant Landscape Designer
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Atkins in December 2012.

Interview Details – the interview is about 30 mins, questions like education background, Uk experience, portfolio review, strength trait, career goal, salary expectation, when I can start to work, why I want to work in ATKINS

Graduate Engineer Trainee Interview

Graduate Engineer Trainee
Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Atkins in January 2014.

Interview Details – Campus Recruitment. Written test consisting of aptitude and technical questions. Two rounds of interview One technical and one HR. Before shortlisting for the interview group task was given. All the people were given a common problem and asked to arrive at a common solution. Based on your convincing abilities they will select for the interview.

Interview Question – all were simple based on basic electronics   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Atkins in February 2014.

Interview Details – Went through a lengthy multiple stage application process including an online questionnaire, telephone interview and an assessment centre which lasted the whole day.

The questionnaire and telephone interview were relatively simple, but the assessment centre was really challenging. It lasted for most of the day and consisted of mainly critical analysis activities and interviews, which I found very draining. I don't know why some companies go through this complicated process while other equally big companies prefer a one-off interview for your application.

Interview Question – Two separate exercises about the economic development of an island tourist resort and a district of London.   Answer Question

Civil Engineering Graduate Scheme Interview

Civil Engineering Graduate Scheme

Interviewed at Atkins

Interview Details – First stage, psychometric testing.
Verbal reasoning test comprising of 24 questions, 4 for each passage.
Following was a numerical amplitude also 24 questions firstly a quite interesting sequence problem using the alphabet and after that, simple ratios and area questions. Achieved passing score and waiting for the next stage.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer
Grenoble (France)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Atkins in May 2014.

Interview Details – After filling a form on Atkins website including HR questions, and a resumé, I've been contacted by mail to pass a psychometric test including Numeracy and verbal tests.
Test lasts 45 mins in which I answered for 24 questions in numeracy part and 20 questions in the verbal part.

Interview Question – The verbal part was difficult   Answer Question

Worked for Atkins? Contribute to the Community!