Atkins

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Program Director-Energy/Oil and Gas/Environmental Interview

Denver, CO

I applied through other source and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Atkins in October 2013.

Interview Details – Was approached by Atkins directly based on a mutual business association and met informally to discuss position to provide leadership in the Denver office where Atkins has limited or no presence in the competitive Denver energy market. After initial meeting, met with some staff in the Denver office (old PBS&J) for conversation and lunch. The supposed "hiring manager" for environmental services for the Western was located in Fort Worth and failed to make the scheduled conference call while I was in the interview. Interview was delegated to another program manager in another program who was located in Portland, OR.

Follow-up was abysmal, and in the end, a total waste of my time. The "Hiring Manager" (aka Western Regional Manager) never followed up on providing me basic benefits information (I had to ask repeatedly), never provided a job description (even though I was asked to write one and send it), called me 55 minutes late when we had scheduled yet another conference call, failed to come through on five requests for information, and above all, didn't have the authority to make me a salary offer without gaining approval from a Senior Vice President located in the Atkins North America HQ in Tampa, a person the "hiring manager" admitted he couldn't remember if he had ever met.

My reference check was done by the aforementioned program manager.

When I finally was contacted, I was told an offer letter was in the works, but the program manager, a peer, began negotiating with me on salary and what my expected billable time would be. Rule no. 1 of negotiations: Never negotiate with those who don't have the power to do so, especially in contract negotiations. When the offer letter finally arrived 5 days after I was told it would, there was a salary offer (at the very bottom of the range), but it was unsigned and had absolutely no benefits information/offer, no employee handbook to review, and no clauses that I might review with my attorney. The coup de gras was that the "offer" came from the aforementioned program manager (presumably a peer and only 1 year of actual consulting experience) with an additional request for my "current clients and dollar value of work, and my perspective client list and their value."

On advisement of my legal counsel, I countered with a request for a signed offer letter along with a requirement to receive the proposed benefits package, bonus and performance structure, and an agreement that I would provide client contacts (they had already spoken to some who I used as references). I received no response to my counter and after three emails and leaving two voicemails, and another voicemail to the aforementioned program manager in Portland, I received a call from the "Hiring Manager/Regional Program Manager telling me that Atkins was uncertain about being able to hire me without putting undue billable pressure on me. All this after Atkins let junior staff know that I was being hired to lead and develop business and mentor them in Denver.

Interview Question – How billable can you be on Day One? Softball questions that seemed to indicate they didn't have any vision or direction.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Atkins is in a major whirlwind and reorganization after acquiring PBS&J and the landscape seems to change daily. It seems like there is horrendously poor communication, lack of vision, and generally poor leadership in North America. I'm genuinely impressed with Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger, who is a leading mind in complex systems theory. Apparently, the ability to think at that level hasn't transferred over from London to leadership in Tampa and elsewhere within Atkins North America.

Several months ago, there was an article on Linked-In about the six signs that indicate why you might want to decline an opportunity. Atkins hit them all. I'd avoid them like the plague, or at least until they straighten out where they are going.

Total waste of my time.

Senior Civil Site Engineer Interview

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Atkins in August 2013.

Interview Details – First, one applies on-line. Then after a phone interview on is called in for a face to face with two Sr. Project Managers. The interviewers were both professional and polite. Note that this is a large firm with my initial interface was with HR in Atlanta. One can feel the "big firm" mentality. Whether this is a good or bad thing is up to the individual.

Interview Question – No questions were difficult or unexpected. They were rightfully concerned over my technical capabilities.   Answer Question

Graduate Consultant Interview

Graduate Consultant
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Atkins.

Interview Details – The first interview was a technical interview almost 45 mins long. Questions were behavioral and mostly related to my thesis work.
On-site interview went on the whole day. I was asked to give a technical presentation during which a lot of presentation based questions were asked. I was interviewed by a group of employed engineers first and then by 3 managers separately. Overall it was all resume based and not very difficult.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Aerospace Engineer Interview

Kirkland, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Atkins in May 2012.

Interview Details – It was approximately 1 hour and a half. I received the interview through an on campus informational session with Atkins. The position mainly dealt with stress analysis of airplane wings. When you first come in they give you three sheets of paper with a question on each of them. The remaining time is spent on behavioral questions and finding more about your personality.

Interview Question – There were questions on buoyancy, simply supported beams, and a situational question where you are given two straps and asked where to place them on a member to lift it safely without breaking. (I interviewed with a civil background). My aero buddies say they were giving questions on a ball rolling down a hill of some sort and were asked questions about the dynamics of it. Be sure to know all about drag, lift, and buoyancy if you are aero of course!   View Answer

engineering Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Atkins in April 2009.

Interview Details – After I submitted my resume on the company website, I got an email invitation to schedule a phone interview.

My phone interview was with only one person, and lasted about 30 minutes. I was told that I would hear back in 2-3 days.

After two days, I got another email invitation to schedule a personal interview. There was only one personal interview. I got their response three days after the interview

Interview Questions

Graduate Structural Engineer Interview

Graduate Structural Engineer
Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I interviewed at Atkins in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and had to complete standard tests.
A week or two after competing the tests I got invited to an assessment center, via email and a phone call, which was planned for 2/3 weeks later.
The assessment center consisted of a technical test, technical interview, group work, HR interview, individual written piece and presentation. The day was quite relaxed which helped as it was my first assessment center. Even though I felt I did not do well in the technical test I was able to explain my thought process and what I was trying to achieve, which is what they are wanting to find out. We also got to meet people who are on the graduate scheme at the moment, one was in her first year and the other was about to finish, which was interesting. I got an offer a couple of days later.
Through out the entire process the HR staff have been very helpful.

Interview Question – The technical test involved a variety of questions from 1st year basics to work that I had just been doing in 5th year.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate anything as was happy with the offer but there were opportunities to change start date etc

Principal Consultant Interview

Principal Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Atkins.

Interview Details – Had 2 interviews, one with head of section (who I know professionally from previous role) and his #2. I was asked to apply formally online, which I felt was more of a formality rather than any part of the decision process for them.

Interview Question – Not applicable - it was more of an informal chat to discuss the role and to see if we would be a good fit culturally. Great interview! I should say my reputation preceded me in this instance and it was almost a done deal from the start, as I was desperate to move and they were keen to take me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They didn't budge on any of the standard contract terms. I didn't push too hard, but they made me feel stupid for even asking to change their precious standard terms. HR at Atkins are not helpful and treat recruits as from an assembly line. Try to deal with your future line manager instead of through HR.

Civil Engineer Interview

Civil Engineer
Croydon, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Atkins in August 2010.

Interview Details – Very welcoming and honest. Met some project managers in a Career Fair, established some contacts, gave them a copy of my CV and a few weeks later was invited for an interview in one of their offices. Got interviewed by a two Senior Project Managers and introduced to the Head of the Department.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straight forward. Got an offer with a salary in line with the market at the time for a graduate.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Atkins.

Interview Details – They paid for my trip from europe to Epsom UK. The tests were difficult. Dont know how I passed them.

Interview Question – Written examination. Basic engineering problem solving.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didnt negotiate.

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Bristol, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Atkins in November 2013.

Interview Details – Was invited to an assessment centre at Bristol for their Nuclear Engineering graduate scheme. It consisted of a technical test, followed by a technical interview. There was also a group activity, hr interview and presentation to two ladies from HR. No formal interview with Atkins Engineers. Very technically focused.

Interview Question – Multistory frame and indeterminate portal frame   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Atkins

Worked for Atkins? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Atkins interview questions and advice. All 48 interview reviews posted anonymously by Atkins employees and interview candidates.