Atkins Interview Questions

Updated Apr 7, 2015
Updated Apr 7, 2015

3.1

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Atkins in January 2015.

Interview

I have applied through their career website, answering to several background, attitude and motivation questions.
    After a week, I have been sent a link to complete an online assessment, both numerical and text comprehension. The test lasts about an hour and it requires cold thinking, given the time pressure. Its result has been sent to me within one day and, being positive, my application moved forward.
    After some other two months, I got a phone call from the graduate office to arrange a first skype interview. This one has been very relaxed and merely about their and mine expectations, as well as on my academic/professional background and on the features of the graduate programme.
    Eventually, after a positive answer to the skype interview, I have been invited to the Epsom HQ and I have had the "short version" of their standard assessment interview: after a small talk, I was given some technical problems to solve (most of them where very basic, while some other structural problems were a little tricky) in 45 minutes, then I had to discuss my answers (both wrong and correct) with two examiner and, eventually, I had to write a letter of expropriation as if i were the project manager. They let me know the result of this last interview in one week and promptly made their offer.

Interview Questions

• I would pay much attention to the first two steps of the recruitment process: take your time to answer to the motivation and background questions and take some example tests before trying the online assessment.
      For the tech interview, just read again the basics of civil engineering, study a little bit of structure analysis and, obviously, be well prepared in your area of expertise.

Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated the starting day for the contract, as i was pleased with the rest of their offer

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Atkins (Atlanta, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

A human resources person scheduled the interview with me over the phone for two weeks in advance. Two people interviewed me at the same time. They were polite and straight forward - no silly hypothetical questions.

Interview Questions

• How did my skills fit with the job?   1 Answer

Program Director-Energy/Oil and Gas/Environmental Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Atkins (Denver, CO) in October 2013.

Interview

Was approached by Atkins directly based on a mutual business association and met informally to discuss position to provide leadership in the Denver office where Atkins has limited or no presence in the competitive Denver energy market. After initial meeting, met with some staff in the Denver office (old PBS&J) for conversation and lunch. The supposed "hiring manager" for environmental services for the Western was located in Fort Worth and failed to make the scheduled conference call while I was in the interview. Interview was delegated to another program manager in another program who was located in Portland, OR.

Follow-up was abysmal, and in the end, a total waste of my time. The "Hiring Manager" (aka Western Regional Manager) never followed up on providing me basic benefits information (I had to ask repeatedly), never provided a job description (even though I was asked to write one and send it), called me 55 minutes late when we had scheduled yet another conference call, failed to come through on five requests for information, and above all, didn't have the authority to make me a salary offer without gaining approval from a Senior Vice President located in the Atkins North America HQ in Tampa, a person the "hiring manager" admitted he couldn't remember if he had ever met.

My reference check was done by the aforementioned program manager.

When I finally was contacted, I was told an offer letter was in the works, but the program manager, a peer, began negotiating with me on salary and what my expected billable time would be. Rule no. 1 of negotiations: Never negotiate with those who don't have the power to do so, especially in contract negotiations. When the offer letter finally arrived 5 days after I was told it would, there was a salary offer (at the very bottom of the range), but it was unsigned and had absolutely no benefits information/offer, no employee handbook to review, and no clauses that I might review with my attorney. The coup de gras was that the "offer" came from the aforementioned program manager (presumably a peer and only 1 year of actual consulting experience) with an additional request for my "current clients and dollar value of work, and my perspective client list and their value."

On advisement of my legal counsel, I countered with a request for a signed offer letter along with a requirement to receive the proposed benefits package, bonus and performance structure, and an agreement that I would provide client contacts (they had already spoken to some who I used as references). I received no response to my counter and after three emails and leaving two voicemails, and another voicemail to the aforementioned program manager in Portland, I received a call from the "Hiring Manager/Regional Program Manager telling me that Atkins was uncertain about being able to hire me without putting undue billable pressure on me. All this after Atkins let junior staff know that I was being hired to lead and develop business and mentor them in Denver.

Interview Questions

• How billable can you be on Day One? Softball questions that seemed to indicate they didn't have any vision or direction.   Answer Question

Atkins is in a major whirlwind and reorganization after acquiring PBS&J and the landscape seems to change daily. It seems like there is horrendously poor communication, lack of vision, and generally poor leadership in North America. I'm genuinely impressed with Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger, who is a leading mind in complex systems theory. Apparently, the ability to think at that level hasn't transferred over from London to leadership in Tampa and elsewhere within Atkins North America.

Several months ago, there was an article on Linked-In about the six signs that indicate why you might want to decline an opportunity. Atkins hit them all. I'd avoid them like the plague, or at least until they straighten out where they are going.

Total waste of my time.

Senior Civil Site Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Atkins (Orlando, FL) in August 2013.

Interview

First, one applies on-line. Then after a phone interview on is called in for a face to face with two Sr. Project Managers. The interviewers were both professional and polite. Note that this is a large firm with my initial interface was with HR in Atlanta. One can feel the "big firm" mentality. Whether this is a good or bad thing is up to the individual.

Interview Questions

• No questions were difficult or unexpected. They were rightfully concerned over my technical capabilities.   Answer Question

Graduate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Atkins (Houston, TX).

Interview

The first interview was a technical interview almost 45 mins long. Questions were behavioral and mostly related to my thesis work.
    On-site interview went on the whole day. I was asked to give a technical presentation during which a lot of presentation based questions were asked. I was interviewed by a group of employed engineers first and then by 3 managers separately. Overall it was all resume based and not very difficult.

Aerospace Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Atkins (Kirkland, WA) in May 2012.

Interview

It was approximately 1 hour and a half. I received the interview through an on campus informational session with Atkins. The position mainly dealt with stress analysis of airplane wings. When you first come in they give you three sheets of paper with a question on each of them. The remaining time is spent on behavioral questions and finding more about your personality.

Interview Questions

• There were questions on buoyancy, simply supported beams, and a situational question where you are given two straps and asked where to place them on a member to lift it safely without breaking. (I interviewed with a civil background). My aero buddies say they were giving questions on a ball rolling down a hill of some sort and were asked questions about the dynamics of it. Be sure to know all about drag, lift, and buoyancy if you are aero of course!   1 Answer

LOMA/GIS Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Atkins (Beltsville, MD) in February 2011.

Interview

This was a very quick interview where I was described the process of completing a LOMA and my skills we're weighed against what would be required of me. We went over my schooling and what type of projects we're completed in school.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever heard of a Letter of Map Amendment?   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Atkins (Houston, TX) in April 2009.

Interview

After I submitted my resume on the company website, I got an email invitation to schedule a phone interview.

My phone interview was with only one person, and lasted about 30 minutes. I was told that I would hear back in 2-3 days.

After two days, I got another email invitation to schedule a personal interview. There was only one personal interview. I got their response three days after the interview

Architect I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Atkins (Orlando, FL) in April 2008.

Interview

Process involved an interview at the office, 2 people interviewed me. Staff were nice and seemed happy, good team atmosphere (sign of good work culture). I got the impression talking to other staff at the time you could get all your IDP experience completed within 2 years, not sure if it would be the same in today's economy. Nice spacious office layout, though be it in an industrial park. Job offer arrived promptly by courier the following week.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were nothing out of the ordinary, although afterwards they have you sit at a table and fill out an application form, which I found a bit strange for a professional salaried position. You have to complete work and educational history with addresses and dates, phone numbers, previous salary etc - not the sort of details you generally have on hand at an interview.   Answer Question

The offer was fair. It was one of several offers I received, it was a difficult decision, but the main reason for declining was experiencing first hand the commuter traffic around Orlando. Also there was nothing nearby that you could walk to, had the office been downtown rather than in an office park, I would likely have taken it.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Atkins.

Interview

Applied online, several emails exchanged with the HR. Received a phone call to arrange the interview. Interview with senior level of the position, some basic questions and tell me about yourself questions.