Atkins Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.1

Staff Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Atkins (Houston, TX).

Interview

Interview was straight-forward. Most questions were directly related to my resume, no off-the-wall questions. Interviewers were very friendly and made situation comfortable. Process took about an hour and a half. The majority of questions dealt with how much experience I had in water compliance and field work. Be prepared to go in detail on your resume and review course work if recently graduated.

Hrd Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Atkins.

Interview

Very lengthy, had to make numerous follow-ups to get to a single step up, the recruiter was very slow and they didnt explain the full process well, they don't respond with feedback or reply to courtesy thank you emails,

Interview Questions

• typical experience questions, they were reading from assessment papers but they got so much sidetracked overall   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Atkins in June 2015.

Interview

Talked back and forth about the company and the job position. I was pleased to hear about all the great opportunities they can offer. Also, they answered all my questions related to he job position.

Proposal Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Atkins (Orlando, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

Received an email from a recruiter for a phone interview with an HR manager. A week later, I received another call from the recruiter to set up an in person interview at their offices. Interview was with an HR manager and the marketing director. Received an email from the recruiter with their decision.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths/weaknesses?   1 Answer

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Atkins in January 2015.

Interview

I have applied through their career website, answering to several background, attitude and motivation questions. After a week, I have been sent a link to complete an online assessment, both numerical and text comprehension. The test lasts about an hour and it requires cold thinking, given the time pressure. Its result has been sent to me within one day and, being positive, my application moved forward. After some other two months, I got a phone call from the graduate office to arrange a first skype interview. This one has been very relaxed and merely about their and mine expectations, as well as on my academic/professional background and on the features of the graduate programme. Eventually, after a positive answer to the skype interview, I have been invited to the Epsom HQ and I have had the "short version" of their standard assessment interview: after a small talk, I was given some technical problems to solve (most of them where very basic, while some other structural problems were a little tricky) in 45 minutes, then I had to discuss my answers (both wrong and correct) with two examiner and, eventually, I had to write a letter of expropriation as if i were the project manager. They let me know the result of this last interview in one week and promptly made their offer.

Interview Questions

• I would pay much attention to the first two steps of the recruitment process: take your time to answer to the motivation and background questions and take some example tests before trying the online assessment. For the tech interview, just read again the basics of civil engineering, study a little bit of structure analysis and, obviously, be well prepared in your area of expertise.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated the starting day for the contract, as i was pleased with the rest of their offer

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Atkins (Atlanta, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

A human resources person scheduled the interview with me over the phone for two weeks in advance. Two people interviewed me at the same time. They were polite and straight forward - no silly hypothetical questions.

Interview Questions

• How did my skills fit with the job?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Atkins (Denver, CO) in October 2013.

Interview

Was approached by Atkins directly based on a mutual business association and met informally to discuss position to provide leadership in the Denver office where Atkins has limited or no presence in the competitive Denver energy market. After initial meeting, met with some staff in the Denver office (old PBS&J) for conversation and lunch. The supposed "hiring manager" for environmental services for the Western was located in Fort Worth and failed to make the scheduled conference call while I was in the interview. Interview was delegated to another program manager in another program who was located in Portland, OR. Follow-up was abysmal, and in the end, a total waste of my time. The "Hiring Manager" (aka Western Regional Manager) never followed up on providing me basic benefits information (I had to ask repeatedly), never provided a job description (even though I was asked to write one and send it), called me 55 minutes late when we had scheduled yet another conference call, failed to come through on five requests for information, and above all, didn't have the authority to make me a salary offer without gaining approval from a Senior Vice President located in the Atkins North America HQ in Tampa, a person the "hiring manager" admitted he couldn't remember if he had ever met. My reference check was done by the aforementioned program manager. When I finally was contacted, I was told an offer letter was in the works, but the program manager, a peer, began negotiating with me on salary and what my expected billable time would be. Rule no. 1 of negotiations: Never negotiate with those who don't have the power to do so, especially in contract negotiations. When the offer letter finally arrived 5 days after I was told it would, there was a salary offer (at the very bottom of the range), but it was unsigned and had absolutely no benefits information/offer, no employee handbook to review, and no clauses that I might review with my attorney. The coup de gras was that the "offer" came from the aforementioned program manager (presumably a peer and only 1 year of actual consulting experience) with an additional request for my "current clients and dollar value of work, and my perspective client list and their value." On advisement of my legal counsel, I countered with a request for a signed offer letter along with a requirement to receive the proposed benefits package, bonus and performance structure, and an agreement that I would provide client contacts (they had already spoken to some who I used as references). I received no response to my counter and after three emails and leaving two voicemails, and another voicemail to the aforementioned program manager in Portland, I received a call from the "Hiring Manager/Regional Program Manager telling me that Atkins was uncertain about being able to hire me without putting undue billable pressure on me. All this after Atkins let junior staff know that I was being hired to lead and develop business and mentor them in Denver.

Interview Questions

• How billable can you be on Day One? Softball questions that seemed to indicate they didn't have any vision or direction.   Answer Question

Atkins is in a major whirlwind and reorganization after acquiring PBS&J and the landscape seems to change daily. It seems like there is horrendously poor communication, lack of vision, and generally poor leadership in North America. I'm genuinely impressed with Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger, who is a leading mind in complex systems theory. Apparently, the ability to think at that level hasn't transferred over from London to leadership in Tampa and elsewhere within Atkins North America. Several months ago, there was an article on Linked-In about the six signs that indicate why you might want to decline an opportunity. Atkins hit them all. I'd avoid them like the plague, or at least until they straighten out where they are going. Total waste of my time.

Senior Civil Site Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Atkins (Orlando, FL) in August 2013.

Interview

First, one applies on-line. Then after a phone interview on is called in for a face to face with two Sr. Project Managers. The interviewers were both professional and polite. Note that this is a large firm with my initial interface was with HR in Atlanta. One can feel the "big firm" mentality. Whether this is a good or bad thing is up to the individual.

Interview Questions

• No questions were difficult or unexpected. They were rightfully concerned over my technical capabilities.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in India, TX

Application

interviewed at Atkins (India, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

group activity after acad seive then group discussion then interview. the overall process was smooth. interview duration may increase if they feel you are the right person. in the end you will have to ask them a sensible question

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Atkins (Houston, TX).

Interview

The first interview was a technical interview almost 45 mins long. Questions were behavioral and mostly related to my thesis work. On-site interview went on the whole day. I was asked to give a technical presentation during which a lot of presentation based questions were asked. I was interviewed by a group of employed engineers first and then by 3 managers separately. Overall it was all resume based and not very difficult.